We had already booked for 9 days in Costa Calma for the middle of March, when Easyjet cancelled our outgoing Monday Flight. Options we had were go for 7 days or go for 14. 14 won. We thought we would have a few days in the Caleta area, as it was a bit livelier before heading for Costa Calma. We arrived at 11am on Weds 14th March, and within 40 minutes had caught the local bus for the princely sum of E1.20 each, and were checking in at around 11.45. Reception staff were friendly and helpful, and gave us the room we had requested, in the main building on the top floor. We got to our room, and were pleasantly surprised, clean and tidy, and a decent size, with a nice balcony overlooking the Pool. From here it all went downhill.
Rooms were adequate, although the plumbing was bloody awful. Trying to get a shower at a constant temperature was impossible. The beds were fine, in fact some of the comfyest of any hotel I've been. Pool area was lovely, although too cold to swim in and a pity the pool bar was closed.
The drinks on the all inclusive were adequate, beer was ok, and the usual local spirits, although was only the main spirits (vodka, whisky, gin, rum etc), there was no imitation Malibu, Tia Maria, Baileys etc which we have always had at other A/I's. Cocktails out of the machine were nice enough. Bar staff, 2 were great, but others miserable, and seen them refusing to serve someone at 11:01 who had been stood queueing since 10:45, due to the nightly lack of staff. Bar was also inexplicably only open from 3:30pm, you had to make do with beer, wine or soft drinks from the canteen til then.
The "Restaurant" and "Food"
Restaurant or school canteen? While the restaurant was quite a nice room, it was spoiled by the miserable staff who looked as if the world was about to end. As for the food? We ate 3 meals in the "canteen" and after this ending up spending our holiday spends eating out. Don't get me wrong, we are not fussy eaters, but I wouldn't have served this muck in a jail to a convicted rapist. The soup resembled porridge most days. My girlfriend said the salad was lovely and fresh, and great tasting, but there is only so much lettuce and tomato a girl can eat. There was usually a meat, fish and pasta dish, with veg etc. The two evenings we ate, the beef one night, and pork the next was like dry shoe leather as tho it had been cooked for days on end. On the next night we went in for our evening meal, and there was mashed potato on. I picked up a ladle full, and poured it back into tray. It resembled tinned rice pudding, and they should have been done by trade descriptions for daring to call it mashed potato, it was digusting. When we saw this, we left and never ate in there again, although we still went in the restaurant each mealtime for a giggle at what was being served. The food was a running joke between the guests, and the amount of people walking in, looking at what was on offer, and turning straight back out of the door was unbelievable, most people doing this after about 3 days. Only plus was the desserts. Individual Ice Creams were nice, and some of the cakes they put out were gorgeous.
In the middle of nowhere, apart from a couple of Irish Bars, Pizza place, and Chinese Restaurant. Was surrounded by half built, and derelict blocks. Was a thoroughly depressing place.
We enjoyed our 5 days here, mainly because of the people we met in the bar, and had decided to make the best as we knew we had better to come. The complex could be fantastic, with some decent food, and the bar open when it should be. Would we return? NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FREE!!!!!!
- Also Known As:
- Apartamentos Globales Costa Tropical Hotel Fuerteventura
- Apartamentos Globales Costa Tropical Hotel
- Apartahotel Costa Tropical Oasis
- Apartahotel Costa Tropical
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Costa Tropical Apts, with its views of the coast, has 90 apartments all with pool view and 53 bungalows with a small garden area, balcony or terrace, living room, separate bedroom, fully equipped kitchen, and bathroom. The apartments surround a large swimming pool which is 65 metres long and a separate children’s pool. There is also a large roof terrace for sunbathing. The apartments are the perfect place where you can relax and enjoy all the facilities. The Costa Tropical Apts offers clients the opportunity to prepare meals in their apartment or enjoy the all inclusive buffet with cold and warm buffet meals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Hotel Globales Costa Tropical reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.