“Food not up to scratch” 2 of 5 stars

The Rising Sun
1 Cefn Road, Rogerstone, Newport, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Rogerstone B&B and Inns
Newport, United Kingdom
“Food not up to scratch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Popped in here today for quick lunch. When we arrived we were served promptly at the bar and then we had a look at the food which is kept warm by method of a hot plate. I thought the food looked quite dry but gave it the benefit of the doubt and me and my husband ordered a jacket potato each. When it was brought over it looked ok an we started to tuck in. The jacket potato was dry to say the least and what made it worse was that there was no butter/marg or offer of any. The chilli con carne that accompanied my jacket spud tasted like it had been reheated but at it as I was starving.... My husband agreed and left majority of his potato due to its very dry taste. We didn't complain as to be honest I ha read previous reviews and it appears they don't take criticism to well so just left it and agreed that we would not frequent here again. Also noticed that the main meals were quite expensive considering that the coach and horses where we normally eat, on old st Mellon road, has much tastier food yet cheaper.
Sorry but reheating food never gets good results

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed over night on the warmest weekend of the year!! Staff were very nice and friendly. Breakfast excellent. Down side its a bit dated and we did not get any sleep as the room was too hot. Only the side window could be opened a fraction. All the other windows had been painted over. (room 6) . A fan may have been a good addition!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been going to the Sun for well over a year and have eaten there about 30 times..... I can honestly say we have never had a bad meal there and the service has always been excellent!!
We have lunched and had evening meals from various menus/specials and have never had reason to complain or be disappointed.
I have always had a warm welcome from the Bar and the Restaurant staff every time!!

Not sure what the other reports have experienced but does not reflect the excellent experiences we have had every time we have been there!

Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have been going to this pub for many years now and have to say its a fantastic place to go for food and drink. The management and staff are always friendly and helpfull, the food is always quality and plentyfull, family friendly highly recommended.

Grahame (Alpha)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We go to the Rising Sun about once a month or so for a meal and have always been impressed. Good pub food served from a hot plate (so good for a quick lunch) always looks appetising and good portion size. Price is reasonable for main course but deserts have always been a bit pricey. Nice atmosphere with a conservatory area which is pleasant to sit in.
Not sure what was going on today. Very few people there which is really unusual, possibly 3 other tables. Went to the service area and ordered chicken curry and lasagne. Curry was served immediately but needed more chips for the lasagne so returned to the table to wait. It took over 10 mins for the other meal to arrive by which time the curry was finished. We then looked in the fridge for a desert and ordered a sherry trifle. At £4.25 not cheap. After the first mouthful the cream tasted solid and slightly tainted so I took it back to the service area and explained that I thought the cream was off. The waitress took it away and then shouted across the room when I returned to the table, 'do you want something else or your money back'. I asked for my money back and when it was returned there was no apology and I asked if they thought the cream was OK. The reply was 'I thought it was fine and so did Stan '!!???? A few minutes later I went to ask for a coffee. My husband had another pint at the same time which was finished without sign of the coffee. When he took his glass back he said to forget the coffee as it had taken over 15 mins. A simple discussion at the table to say the staff thought the cream was OK but an apology if I thought it was not fresh enough would have been fine. Also, a quick visit to the table to say they were making fresh coffee which would take about 15 minutes would have been fine as opposed to nothing at all. Good communication skills cost nothing but keeps the customer in the loop.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rogerstone hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've never stayed at this place, but I've eaten a couple of times at lunchtime, from the hot, served buffet. Food is good, with large portions. Service from the bar is what one may expect, and given the food is served to you at the buffet, difficult to judge. The staff are friendly, so no problems there. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Ive rated this 1 as there wasnt a 0!!!

me and my partner went here for lunch yesterday. i had a blt and he had a turkey dinner....my bacon was burnt however i ate it as i was hungry. my partner had just finished work and ate two mouthfuls. he said it tasted like the dinner had been rewarmed in a microwave. so we explained this to the manager. She was extremely rude and refused to believe the dinner wasnt very nice, as i was explaining and mid sentence she walked away. DONT go here the food horrible and the customer service is something to be desired.....go to the welsh oak just down the road its much better!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Rising Sun? Share your experiences!