“Adequate stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Langstone
N wales
“Adequate stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Room comfortable if a little dated. Clean and plenty of storage space, let down by bathroom which was small, dated and a bit grubby
Big let down is price of food and drink which is above average but then there is nowhere else to go within walking distance. On the plus side, great staff and extremely friendly service. Breakfast is very good with plenty of choice both hot and cold. For one or two nights it is fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HM_HiltonNewport, Manager at Hilton Newport, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was great to read that you found the staff friendly and service good. As you observe our bathrooms are compact, everything is in there, but they are a little smaller than an average hotel bathroom, a legacy from when we were built some 20+ years ago. I will pass your comments about cleanliness of the bathroom onto our Head Housekeeper for immediate review, my sincere apologies for this.

Thanks again for taking the time and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

PA to Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here whilst attending a wedding in Newport and the location was very convenient with free parking. All staff in this hotel were extremely friendly, helpful and polite and done everything possible to make our stay pleasant. We asked to change rooms as the corridor we were first allocated to was rather noisy when a bus load of guests arrived. The receptionist changed our room to a much better one with no problems. The rooms are a bit dated and the bathrooms definately are in desperate need of an upgrade, however the price seemed to reflect this. The breakfast room was very busy but staff helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Newport.
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and helpful.
I'm sorry that the first room allocated to you was noisy and am glad that the second was suitable. I will make sure that all of your kind comments are passed onto the team, they really appreciate guests taking the time to give feedback.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Reception area was large and welcoming. Great to be able to park outside to unload the car before taking it to the carpark. Reception Staff were so welcoming and friendly and despite being early and expecting to have to wait we were given our room key right away. Decor was due for an update but that was outweighed by room size especially the ginormus bath the robes and wine in our room.The room was large and spacious with two double beds overlooking a koi Pool facing an enclosed private area where there was seating and an entrance from/to the bar where Rhiannon made herself know to us when we ordered our early dinner because we were going to the theatre in Cardiff.My suprise birthday cake was really a big plus when the staff discovered it was my birthday. Nothing was too much trouble here the perfect friendly attentive hostess not common in one so young. The food in the bar and restaurant was superb and we really enjoyed our two day break. Only regret was that it had not been longer. Thank you Jennifer for arranging all this & the head waiter who told us where we should eat when we sadly had to moved on.The managers there must be proud of their team who actually work as a team and go the extra mile.A great welcome back to Wales

Room Tip: 48 Its furtherest away from the Spa and pool but rooms along the lower inside corridor on either sid...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.
I was very pleased to read that you were made to feel like a VIP on your birthday. The staff really do try and make sure that all of our guests are made to feel welcome and enjoy their stay with us.

I will share all of your kind comments with the team and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The reception is really large and welcoming, but a good wakk from the car park which is a bit of a pain if you have plenty of luggage.
Checking was fast, friendly and efficient. I found the staff to be very informative and helpful.
The bar staff were also very friendly and since I was travelling alone it was good to have some conversation. The food in the resaurant was also top class with prompt service - albeit a bit pricey.
The room was also very comfortable, but a bit noisy at times as it backed on toi the busy road behind. However this does not detract frim a great stay. Had a sound nights sleep and was not disturbed by theroad or any other noise in the hotel. Room was comfortable and clean.
I had worried about staying as some of the reviews had not been very complimentary, but based upon my experience I would certainly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HM_HiltonNewport, Manager at Hilton Newport, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you well. I will pass all of your comments onto them.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Halifax, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times in order to 'bank' some Hilton Honours points. Located close to the M4 it's really easy to find. Journey to Bristol takes approx 30 mins and you don't have to pay the bridge toll going in this direction.
The room was very spacious, but also quite cold. The small wall heater didn't seem to be up to the job of warming the room. The bathroom was very tired, this is a common theme for all rooms I've stayed in at this hotel.
The TV was also on the blink. I couldn't remove the subtitles and in the morning I couldn't select a TV channel. I had on continuous loop the channel advertising the on demand movies. I couldn't even turn the TV off as the remote seemed to be broken.
The bar snack was adequate for my evening meal, however the drinks are pricey at £3.60 for a pint of Becks.
Breakfast was, and always is, good with plenty of choice.
Through work we get a really good deal on price for this hotel, therefore it's hard to say its not value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback after your recent visit with us. I was pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay however I will speak to both our Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager about the TV and temperature in your room. The temperature outside is certainly dropping and we need to ensure all of the bedrooms are warm and cosy.

I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent position, just off the motorway, so there are good travel links and it's easy to find.

The foyer and restaurants are good and my daughter and partner liked the gym & pool. We had lunch at the bar, which was excellent (but very pricey).

We were allocated a twin (with double beds) on the ground floor, as there are no lifts. A nice big room, but some of the furniture was tired , the carpets were ill-fitting and threadbare in places and the ensuite smelt strongly of damp and needed an overhaul - it didn't appear to be that clean, but the smell of damp didn't help.

Breakfast was good, but the hot food, was your typical buffet style items which quickly became overcooked from sitting under heat lamps etc. The staff were also too quick to clear your plates............. don't think of getting up to visit the toilet , they'll snatch away your tea and coffee in an instant.

It's also quite a walk from the carpark to the lobby, drop your bags off first and then park.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback after your recent stay with us. Your time is appreciated. All comments go or not so good are are invaluable to us as it really does help us improve the services and products that we offer.

I was please to read that you enjoyed our LivinWell health Club it certainly is very popular with our guests. With regard to your comments concerning the maintenance within your bedroom, you may have read on previous reviews that we are currently under going a redecoration programme within the hotel and this will be ongoing throughout 2013. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel so that you can see that improvements have been made.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

With much trepidation I looked forward to my weekend away. I had read all the terrible reviews of this hotel but as i had already booked there was nothing I could do about it.well I need not have worried the hotel was brilliant we received the upgrade and the room was excellent spacious and very clean.had dinner which was very good,leisure facilities excellent with a very good pool for a hotel,an added benefit is that children are not allowed to swim until after 9 o clock.by far the best thing about this hotel is the staff without exception they greeted us at every opportunity and were always smiling friendly and helpful,this was ALL staff everywhere and at ALL times, not one surly face the whole weekend. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pay for the optional upgrade when you book
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HM_HiltonNewport, Manager at Hilton Newport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for kindly taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass all of your kind comments on to the team, they appreciate it when guests take the time to feedback.

I really do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

PA to Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Newport? Share your experiences!