“Superb hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Llanmartin B&B and Inns
PLYMOUTH DEVON
“Superb hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Forget all the negative reviews this hotel is brilliant.Nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are always at hand The hotel is spotlessly clean and the rooms are larger than most hotels
Food was plentiful and well presented
My wife and I stayed for 4 days and would have liked to stay for more . Our daughter and her husband joined us on the Saturday for my wifes birthday . I had booked a Junior Suite for them but the hotel upgraded them ,at no cost, to the master suite which was very large with a TWIN jcuzzy complete with its own tv
The hotel has a very large car park so parking never a problem
We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a base in south Wales are it is very close to all major roads and M4

Room Tip: First floor rooms are the best as no one is above you
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I travel a great deal in line with my work and stay in hotels all around the UK. A couple of years ago I found the Old Barn and what a great place it has turnes out to be. It is always clean and tidy, the rooms are excellent as is the resteraunt and bar; and the management and their team are second to none.

Myself and five collegues had a Christmas meal there last night and all had a most enjoyable evening. The food was to it's usual high standard, very good menu selection and all served nice and hot by the freindly, professional staff. The team have put a lot of effort in to decorating the dining areas resulting in a majical Christmas atmosphear.

No matter if it's a meal that you are after or a place to stay, I would recommend the Old Barn time and time again. Try it out, you certainly won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We came to the old barn for an early family xmas meal on monday, I cannot rate it highly enough!! The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, we had the xmas party menu and were all very impressed, the food was very tasty and there was plenty of it. I had the sirloin of beef for my main course and was pleasantly surprised by the portion size and the sirloin it self was beautifully cooked and extramely tasty. The restaurant itself is warm, cosy and beautifully decorated with tasteful xmas decorations, and to top it off they had all my favourite xmas songs playing, very festive!! If your looking for a relaxing meal this xmas i definatley recommend you go to the old barn :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We visited the Old barn restaurant last night for our "Christmas Do" and what a disappointment. There was no christmas atmosphere at all. the meal was very very overpriced for what we got. The whole menu was a disappointment as most of the meals were not at advertised on the menu.The beef was a steak covered in gravy and it was a small steak into the bargin and the turkey was of a roll not a bird or a crown. Then came the desserts, the menu we were given when we booked stated christmas pudding was available along with alternatives. We were told that it wasn't available but on complaining it suddely appeared. Quite frankly you would get a better meal at a Toby restaurant.
Now onto the fact they knew that we would have 2 disabled people as part of our group and they put us at 3 round tables with a small square one inbetween, they were very inaccessable
it was cold in the restaurant and the portable heater were inadaquate. For value for money atmosphere friendlyness, quality of food then you should go elsewhere for £23.95. You have been warned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
The Old B, Manager at The Old Barn Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I must say, as the manager on Duty last night I am dissappointed you did not raise your concerns with me during service, when any dissappointments you may have had could have been rectified there and then.One of the waitresses mentioned that you seemed a little unhappy so I personally came down to your table to check everything was well on a number of occasions, and each time I the response I received was ‘it’s lovely thank you’. That said, I understand your experience was not what you had expected so I will attempt to address the issues you have raised ;

When you booked you mentioned that there were a few of your party that were disabled or hard of walking. Our round tables left adequate space both around and underneath for those both hard of walking ,and anyone who may have been in a wheelchair. If we had laid a ‘long’ table for your party they may have found it more difficult to sit, due to them (the tables) being considerably narrower due to their legs ( they have four corner legs as opposed to a middle post on the rounds) If you were unhappy with this layout I can only apologise, when your party arrived and I showed them to your table, nobody mentioned any grievances with the set-up.

During December we run 2 Christmas fayre menu’s, a lunch-time, and an evening option. Both menu’s clearly state what will be served. The menu you ordered from gave your party the option of ‘Sirloin of beef’ which is what you were served. We do offer a sliced topside of beef option on the cheaper lunch time menu, had you mentioned upon booking or even ordering that your party would prefer a topside option that would have been arranged for you. One of the waitresses mentioned to me that you were querying the meat that was served, and again when I approached the table to ask if everyone was enjoying their food I received the same ‘its all lovely thank you’ response.
I apologise for the mistake regarding the mix up with your christmas pudding, we had sold out during our Sunday service and the waitress was unaware that stock had been replenished. I agree that this is unsatisfactory however I felt I dealt with the issue appropriately, I came to your table and explained our mistake, and changed the desert order for those who wanted christmas pudding. That the waitress told you that we were sold out in the first place though is unnacceptable, and for that I apologise.

You stated you felt there was no atmosphere in our restaurant, which has been spruced with christmas decorations in preparation for the season, and christmas melodies were playing through the music system.For this I again apologise. If you have any suggestions for us to capture the christmas atmosphere you desired that would be very much appreciated, to avoid any more unsatisfied christmas parties.

Once again I apolgise that your experience did not live up to your expectations, I understand that a christmas party is something that is looked forward to all year and I am sorry that on this occasion we could not provide you with the value for money you were looking for both in terms of food and service.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I only have one issue. During my visit to the hotel for lunch I was a little annoyed to find out that the Wi-Fi was currently 'not opperational' as stated by the young gentlemen (boy) who claimed to be in the process of fixing it!

Other than that I was very impressed with the service provided ! And the food was to die for, absolutely perfect!!.

• Stayed November 2012
Newport, Gwent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Always polite and friendly staff, excellent service, varied menu with choices of vegetarian dishes, lite bite menu is very good value excellent pint of Doonbar!! Pot hole on exit could do to be fixed please!! We are regulars and enjoy every visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Have just had an overnight stay at the Old Barn Inn and couldn't recommend it highly enough. Lovely room, free Wi-fi, lovely evening meal and a brilliant choice at breakfast. Above all of this were the staff - everyone was really helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Will visit again - thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Barn Inn? Share your experiences!