“A real Gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carmichael Guesthouse

You added Carmichael Guesthouse to your Saves list
Carmichael Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   11 Wolmunster Road | Rosebank, Rosebank 7700, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Rosebank B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Maine
“A real Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I am a study abroad advisor for South Africa and have stayed at the Carmichael to visit our student group who is studying at the University of Cape Town. I picked the guesthouse because it is within walking distance to UCT. We have since recommended this guesthouse to our students' families and our own staff is regularly staying here. The owners, Yves and Valerie, are genuinely warm and hospitable individuals. The guesthouse is charming and impeccably clean. Very satisfying breakfast; delicious coffee. Great Wi-Fi access if you have to do business. This is a tucked-away, quiet oasis that gives you the 'boutique' experience for a great value. It is within reach of any major attraction but away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. In short - a real Gem!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Carmichael-Guesthous, Owner at Carmichael Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Carr,
Thank you so much for your comforting feedback!
Valerie & I would love to have you back for your next trip to Cape Town. We could take the challenge to climb all the way up Devil's Peak then. That would be another ball game than going to the blockhouse but worth a try!
Warmest regards / Yves & Valerie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

In a lifetime of travel, this is the loveliest, warmest, most welcoming place I have ever stayed. My husband and I were at the Carmichael for three weeks in March, visiting our daughter who is studying in Cape Town. The house is charming; spacious, airy rooms beautifully decorated and sparkling clean, a pretty flower garden and pool, a bright breakfast room, and bouquets of colorful blooms throughout.

But the owners are what puts the Carmichael over the top. Yves and Valerie are absolutely beyond terrific, and in the course of our stay became friends. They just knocked themselves out to be helpful and to make sure our stay was memorable; ordering taxis, offering outstanding destination suggestions, and generally making sure that everything we needed was provided for. Yves is a terrific cook, and whipped up wonderful breakfasts - we would sit having breakfast and chat with the two of them - such a fun way to start the day.

When our daughter needed emergency knee surgery, we were very concerned, especially as we did not know any doctors in Cape Town. Yves and Valerie helped us with references for the doctor, saved a room so that our daughter could stay with us, and assisted us through a difficult experience. Their efforts on our behalf went way beyond what we could have expected, or would have expected anywhere else. Together they turned what could have been a nightmare experience into a positive one. We would have been lost without them.

The Carmichael is an idyllic retreat in a great location in Cape Town, run by truly lovely people. Yves and Valerie, thank you for all you did for us, and for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
CarmichaelGuesthouse, Owner at Carmichael Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Shelley,
Dear Harry,

Valerie & I are totally overwhelmed by such kind comments. What can we say but just simply a warm THANK YOU! We would be delighted to hear from you every now and then.
We are truly hoping to have Rose for a full English breakfast anytime soon.
Keep well and kindest regards / Yves and Valerie
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Staying at the Carmichael House is like staying with family -- family you like, that is! Clearly the Guesthouse is beyond charming and the location is close to the University of Capetown, where our daughter is spending a semester -- and all of that would be enough to give it a first class rating, but there is so much more. My husband and I stayed 1 night and our older daughter stayed for an additional 5 nights so she could visit her sister. Yves and Valerie, the proprietors, took care of her like she was their own, booked tours for her, etc. And, when I realized (6 hours before her flight) that I had never booked my daughter a flight from Capetown to Johannesburg for her 8:40 pm flt home, my frantic call to Yves solved the situation. Within an hour Yves (a former airline agent) had booked my daughter on her connecting flight so that she would be able to fly from J-burg as planned. Yves and Valerie consistently went out of their way to make both of our stays memorable. Hope to return some day soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hanover, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Carmichael during a March 2011 trip to Cape Town to visit our son, who was there for a semester. Yves and Valerie were so welcoming and attended to our every need. Yves arranged for our airport transportation at 11:30 at night(arrival and return), a safari outing with his suggestions,which was phenomenal, and directions anywhere we wanted to drive. He and Valerie make an excellent breakfast; my husband is a breakfast lover and he continues to talk about this one! The room was roomy and very comfortable; the attached "porch/adjoining room" served my husband as his late-night reading veranda without disturbing me and the bathroom was lovely. CH is within easy range of the beaches, Kirstenbosch, and the V&A waterfront. This was a dream trip to a new world and having such a home base was critical to our happiness there! Thanks again, Yves and Valerie, hi to your girls and your fine guard dog! tpjobe55

Room Tip: Check out the Carmichael House's website. We stayed in the front room on the 2nd floor which ca...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My Fiance and I stayed at Carmichael Guesthouse for a week back in November of this year. This was her first trip to my homeland of SA as I now live in the UK. I have stayed in many hotels and guesthouses in Cape Town over the years but there has been nothing like the idyllic, homely, warm and welcoming stay as that we experienced at Carmichael. The rooms are very spacious indeed with everything you need. You really do feel very comfortable and the breakfast is incredible too with a nice touch added to the plates. The gardens are beautiful and the pool there for the comfort cool off. Getting around was easy, access to motorways and highways within 5 minutes and in the centre of Cape Town in 10 minutes. Cant wait to head back to Cape Town again very soon and I will certainly be staying at the Carmichael Guesthouse when I do.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I have just returned from my third extended stay in Cape Town in recent years, three weeks this time. Each time I have stayed at the Carmichael Guest House - it really feels like a home away from home. The house is magnifcent and the rooms have character with high ceilings, fireplaces and polished wooden floors. The garden is very pretty and peaceful. The guesthouse is really well situated to take advantage of the excellent Cape Town road system yet only takes 15 minutes to reach from the airport. Perhaps best of all Yves and Valerie are attentive but unobtrusive hosts. I can't think of anywhere better to stay in Cape Town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
brenton-on-sea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Yves and Valerie certainly made me feel relaxed. This old Victorian house has so much character and is well positioned for trips to Kirstenbosch, drives round the mountain, beaches a or Cape Town, golf courses not far. A very good breakfast set me on my way. To be able to talk in French was a real plus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Carmichael Guesthouse? Share your experiences!