“Great COFFEE!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Amanzimtoti, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Great COFFEE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

On my holiday in Cape Town, i stumbled across this little pub/coffee bar/restaurant. The soft rock called me from the street and dared me to go inside. This is where i enjoyed one of the best prego rolls of my life. The vibe is very Indie and laid back. Dont expect prompt service and someone to wait on you hand and foot. People come here to relax. And Nic (scary guy at the counter) is such a teddy bear, a real sweet heart. They also serve craft beer but that's not my thing.

I continued to come back here every morning for my large and FABULOUS cup of coffee to chill out while i read my book. Absolutely love Hello Sailor! They should bring one to Durban!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fun times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a great time at Hello Sailor, the food was great and reasonably priced and the coffee is spectacular. The atmosphere is fun and comfortable, the staff were professional and friendly and the owner is charming with great taste in music. I will come here again most definitely and recommend it to anyone coming to Cape Town.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Horrible...the abuse is free.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went with 2 friends, for breakfast. Like JPSRWW, I was shocked at the way the owner (or whoever) treated us. I asked a simple yes/no question about the availability of an ingredient, and received not an answer but a scathing shouty verbal tirade, for no apparent reason other than the guy's personal opinion on the health consequences of my dietary choices (which, on the plus side, was funny, because he in no way looks or acts healthy).

The guy (looks like Bluto from Popeye) was moody, approached our table more than once and, just as we started talking to place our order, he interrupted with "You're obviously not ready yet" and would swerve past our table to clear an empty table or to do something else - he did this about 4 times. My friends wanted to eat there, otherwise I would have simply walked out.

The breakfast is cheap because it is small (which is not necessarily a bad thing, not everyone wants to pig out at every meal). It's nice but nothing amazing and the bread is rubbish. (I had heard their food is nice from another friend.) The coffee is good but you can get good coffee in other places. The music is way too loud for breakfast at 9 a.m.

I didn't let the guy's rudeness get to me at the time, but I will never go there again; there really is no excuse for staff to be so actively mean to paying customers (unless you're into that). I checked Trip Advisor to see if this was a trend - apparently I am not the only one who had an experience like this.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I was staying around the corner at The Green Elephant and came here for breakfast most mornings, friendly staff great food and excellent coffee, i did stop in one evening for a snack and a drink which was also fine

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Expect nothing, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

"Hello Sailor", the Obs restaurant. Ask for the pork belly ribs and take your tongue on the oral version of an Elysian holiday. I suspect that they've got the last breeding pair of unicorns in the back and they're dipping each rack in the tears of their joy.

• Visited December 2012