“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   48 Trill Road, Observatory 7925, South Africa   |
Cape Town
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

i stayed at 33 south backpackers for a week at the end of Nov 2010. It was a great week and i highly recommend the backpackers. Everything was brilliant. Kim, the wonderful owner, even sorted me out with a free round of golf on a stunning course! what more could you ask for??

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lagos Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Staying at 33 South was the highlight of my South African holidays. From Kim, to Michelle, to Sierra, to Lebo to Pattie...every1 of the staff were great and the other housemates were simply awesomne. It was like 1 big happy family. They were so helpful, the linens wer clean, soft and comfy...the daily muffins at breakfast..............Then Patrick and Chris at the Bar......Hmmmthe ciders and the drinks were the bomb. Then Subusito, the rasta man, he was so friendly ans do soft spoken. I had a great time and i am so coming back in a few months. Love you guys.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Hammerfest, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

and it is my home in Cape Town. Kim, Michelle, and the rest of them really do know what matters.
I recommend the Bo Kaap Room, but not for Christmas (because then I will stay there myself)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
cambridge uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

People who backpack will know that you get some grotty places and some real gems - well this is one of the gems :-) High standard of cleanliness (which is something which can often be lacking in a backpackers!) and friendly staff. I mentioned to one of the guys that I would like to have my hair braided and he straight away said his wife could do it for me - she did an excellent job and it was a lot less than going to a salon! I can see why people have said that this backpackers is more like coming to a home than a hotel.

We even had a roast dinner cooked for us one night and we all sat around the kitchen table eating it with a bottle of wine! Really good food too and the staff seem to love to cook different meals on certain days of the week. If there's nothing being cooked you can always walk the 2 mins to the spar to grab some ingredients to cook in the well equipted kitchen - I managed to cook a whole curry with fresh ingredients from scratch on the day I arrived to give you an idea of how accessible food is (had to have pita instead of naan though lol).

I sleep well so wasn't disturbed but the walls are a bit thin so light sleepers may have an issue with this but I think this is really the case in all backpackers. TV lounge was cosy and just the place to relax with everyone else during a Cape Town winter when it's throwing it down outside!

All in all I'd say this is a great place to stay - I'm really ot sure how they do it all on the rates they're charging (very low) - oh and actually breakfast is even included so another great perk!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Opuwo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

There is no question about it really, where I’m going to stay when I’m in Cape Town.
I guess some people would like to se something new all the time, and so do I, but at the end of a day of Cape Towning I like to go back to a place where I can put my feet up. 33 South is not just another guesthouse, not just some place where you sleep and take a hot shower. Somehow it has a welcoming glow that I have taken a liking to. But enough of the mush; this place is clean, mos! The two fridges and the freezer has room for everybody’s food, and for the dry food you don’t want to keep in the fridge, you can put in your own personal box in the storeroom. Quite nifty. The kitchen is big, clean, well equipped and the huge kitchen table is perfect for a tea break or for one of the home cooked meals served every night at 1900. After dinner there might be a nice surf movie to watch or a pub quiz to attend in the bar.
Even though 33 South is grand, one cannot stay inside all day either. Lucky then that the front desk is helpful. Wetter I wanted to go surfing, sightseeing shopping, enjoy a botanical garden, eat or be a kid again at Ratanga Junction, the front desk knew how to and where. Even my endless inquiries about this and that’s didn’t stop the can do attitude, and I got all the help that I needed.
With the metro just down the road, the fresh linen, the sweetest matron (Patty, who gave me a hug every morning), the very convenient digital safe and the neat backyard, I don’t find it strange to keep on going back to the same backpacker.

Big hug from Lisabet

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

This is one of the best backpackers I've ever stayed at. At the end of the day, it felt more like going home than simply going to a place to sleep. The rooms are beautifully designed and the staff is friendly. They organize great meals and events in the evening so there is always something fun to do. Thanks for the great time! --Jennifer

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

I travelled alone, but coming to 33 south meant I wasnt alone anymore. The staff was great! I felt as if I was a part of the family.
The three beautiful african cleaning ladies were singing every day while cleaning. The whole atmosphere was just warm , friendly and fun.
PLUS you can use the internet for FREE. That was really great.
I am planning my next trip to come back to 33 South, my favorite backpacker in SA!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to 33 South Boutique Backpackers? Share your experiences!