“Worst backpacker I stayed at” 1 of 5 stars

You added 33 South Boutique Backpackers to your Saves list
33 South Boutique Backpackers
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   48 Trill Road, Observatory 7925, South Africa   |
Budd Lake, New Jersey
“Worst backpacker I stayed at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I just returned from a trip backpacking around South Africa and 33 South was by far my least favorite spot. The guy who greeted us at the desk was very condescending to us. Every night was extremely loud from 6pm to about 3am and then it got loud again in the morning at 7am. Made it very hard to get a good nights sleep after having long days touring Cape Town. Besides the guy at the desk on the first night every staff member I met was extremely rude. Two girls stayed in one day as they were not feeling well and throughout the day someone walked into their room to show it off and then again later that night to see if anyone was awake. When one of us threw up we asked if they had any extra plastic bags we could keep in the room in case of emergency, we were given news paper. That night we overheard people talking outside our window saying that we were no fun. We were all sick and tired. The bathrooms were always dirty and getting out of the shower I would immediately feel like I needed another one. I enjoyed South Africa so much, but after staying at 33 South all I wanted to do was go home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
33southbackpackers, Front Office Manager at 33 South Boutique Backpackers, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Glad to hear that you've made it safely home, and trust everyone has recovered from their bout of sickness. I am much dismayed by the fact that you were as dissatisfied with our service as indicated in your review, as my only regret with your group was that we did not have the opportunity to get to know each other as well as I would have liked due to the circumstances. With regards to the condescension (as I am the only male staff member you must be referring to me); I must apologize if I had somehow given that impression, as I had only tried to be friendly and welcoming. I cannot apologize enough with regards to your other comments, but I just ask that you take into account the fact that it is logistically tough to house a multiple ill guests, especially in an environment where you are sharing with other people. On the same breath - this is a learning curve for us, and additional services like sick bags were something we had not yet considered - but now that you have drawn it to our attention (we really value your input and suggestions), we have them in stock.

Regarding the toilet - we have an hourly cleaning roster, and both reception, housekeeping and night staff have to check it off. Unfortunately when we're at full capacity, during shower times, it does get hectic. Now that you have drawn our attention to this issue, we will make sure it is an area that we focus on improving.

All the best for your future travels,
Arnoldt and the 33 South Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Was there for one night, met an excellent group of people with whom we went out with to watch the Champions League Final!! Great atmosphere, clean and the staff are brilliant too

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We went over to Kim's Boutique backpackers on a saturday night for some community cooking of a local dish, some amazing south african live music in the backyard by "the brother moves on", and a nice after-party at the in-house bar. People are really friendly, which also goes for the whole Observatory district, which has some nice bars and places and from which you can get downtown Cape Town in a matter of minutes and few rands. I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Great place to stay! People very kind and good atmosphere.
Safe and clean.

=)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
33SouthCapeTown, Owner at 33 South Boutique Backpackers, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review - you made our day!

Kim and the 33 South Team
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

This boutique backpackers really wasn't a boutique feel at all. Yes they decorated the rooms, but a teenager with a few paintbrushes and old vinyl could have done the same.

I arrived a bit late and the night staff wasn't able to bring up my reservation so wasn't sure which room they'd allocated. Nevertheless I stayed in Khayelitsha room. As the door with the code on was very stiff, he had to barge into the room where at least 4 girls were already sleeping and then had to ask one which beds were available! Wasn't the most comfortable night, plus was visited by a few mozzies. In the morning went to use a bathroom where the door didn't lock as it seemed the lock hadn't been serviced in a long while.. used by toothpaste tube to try and jam it shut.. or moreso partially open! Having walked around the building a bit, I noticed another bathroom that had 2 shower cubicles and two toilets adjacent to each other with nothing to separate them!! I didn't know this place was THAT social!

I left very early that morning.. not very good value for what I got. The only great thing about it was the muffins they supplied in the kitchen for breakfast. They also organised transport there and back for me, which I appreciated.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest
We are terribly sorry for the treatment you received - a real pity, as we do our utmost to provide a great service to our guests. I believe you were met from the word go with an inexperienced member of staff (we have gone over the points you raised) who tarnished your experience from the onset. I truly believe, had you stayed longer, we would have been able to change your opinion with some great service from the rest of the staff.

Regarding the facilities: we do have a full time Handyman, which is necessary on a house that was built in 1890. We have noted your observations, and have addressed them. I hope no more guests will have to deal with a tooth-paste doorstop!

If and when you are next in Cape Town we would love to invite you again, and show you a far better experience in our little spot. We apologize again for the awful night you endured.

Warm Regards,
Kim and the 33 South Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

33 South is in a really convenient place, fits perfectly into the bohemian atmosphere of Obs. The best thing about it has to be the staff - very helpful! Someone I was talking to staying at 33 South is having a hard time finding somewhere to stay after this week, and all the staff pooling their contacts to help him and his friends. I really do recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011
33SouthCapeTown, Owner at 33 South Boutique Backpackers, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Qondiswa
Thank you for taking the time to review our place - we really appreciate your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you next time you're in Cape Town!
Warm Regards,
The 33 South Team
Bath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at the hostel for one night in a single room with en-suite which was really well decorated and a lovely comfy bed but both towels provided were dirty. It was hard to find the hostel to begin with (being 33 but street address 48? quite confusing) but is in a nice location and near to shops and bars etc. The problems I had with the hostel were immediate in that they were meant to have ordered a taxi to pick me up from the port and take me there but I had to call them after it didn't show and turned out they hadn't ordered it yet... That night I asked to order a taxi for the morning for my flight at 10:30, told it would take half an hour to get to the airport and the woman manning the desk said she would order the taxi for quarter to ten?! Told her I needed a couple of hours for security and bagge etc and asked for 8:00. When morning came my taxi didn't arrive and no record of it being ordered that night. When one was finally ordered I asked to check out whilst waiting, the guy at the desk then dissappeared and I found him washing up and asked for a second time to check out which I was finally able to do.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dear Katy
Thank you for your review - we appreciate the feedback. We apologize for the
lack of service of the reception staff regarding the taxi ordering - it has been brought
up at our staff meeting, and booking procedures re-iterated to avoid this in the future.
I also highlighted your other observations, and made it clear to all staff that this is
not the correct way of treating any guest. We apologize again for the inconvenience caused,
and hope to wow you in the future with our improved standard of service.

Warm regards from Cape Town,
Kim and the 33 South Crew

Been to 33 South Boutique Backpackers? Share your experiences!