“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heritage Lodge & Spa

Save Saved
You added Heritage Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Heritage Lodge & Spa
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Lot 236 / R96 Turpentine Rd, Diwan, Cape Tribulation, Queensland 4873, Australia   |
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at the Heritage Lodge & Spa in October 2011. On arrival, I was a little disappointed as I was expecting a more 'up market' resort style place. However, i soon realised there was far more to the place than I had initially thought. Whilst it isn't a resort style, it is comfortable, homely, secluded and very in keeping with the rainforest surrounding.
It's set in the middle of the rainforest and has it's own swimming hole (croc free!) and walks - all of which are beautiful. The accommodation is lovely, very clean and comfortable - colonial style rooms, again, not resort style, but very nice - I slept beautifully! The restaurant is out door set in the middle of the rainforest - absolutely perfect. Great food, very good chef. Only downside, was a very poor wine selectin - the second night we took our own wine which Vicki (the owner) was more than happy to allow us to do. Vicki also said she would get some better wine! Vicki and all her staff were lovely - very helpful and knowledgeable about the area.
The Heritage isn't in walking distance to other restaurants (you need a car) but that's not really a problem, the food was so good we were very happy to eat there both nights.
We would definitely recommend it and stay there again ourselves.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Truelly a magnificent experience. Living in the wilderness just 1 hour from Cairnes. The daintree rainforest, the Heritage Lodge and Spa, secluded yes but more than you could ever want to experience. The friendly lodge staff are there to spoil you. All the right ideas to experience the wilderness of a rainforest. Plenty of walking tracks on 16 acres of land. I actually swam in Cooper Creek in a watering hole just below a cliff on the outside of the resort's open air restaurant. Accommodation in good size cabins dotted around the property, all private and secluded. Delicious meals are served from the lodge's restaurant "On The Turps". Buffet continental breakfast served each morning with bread freshly baked on the premises. An extensive evening meal menu of quality dishes containing local produce. A high recommendation from the staff is a cruise on a local river where you are bound to see crocodiles in there natural habitat. On our cruise we saw three females, all about 50 years old, a few babies, and one large male, about 100 years old, just sun baking on a mud island beside the river. The cruise operator was very informative. If you want something different, I strongly recommend you give this experience a try.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cooktown, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here September 2011, from Cairns. Very nice accommodation, lots of windows for fresh, clean rainforest air. Fantastic restauraunt, great menu and quality. Pool and crystal clear creek were quiet and refreshing (most importantly Croc-free creek). Friendly and helpful staff, great knowledge of area. Isolated and away from the main road. I would recommend having a car to get the most from cape trib. I will definately stay here next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

e stayed at the Heritage Lodge and Spa in the Daintree and had an amazing experience. All the home comforts, secluded, beautiful views, and most importantly, friendly, and efficient staff. We stayed 2 days and wished we could've stayed longer. We were made to feel welcome and were well looked after by all the staff. The creek, restaurant, food, pool, bush, room etc were all excellent. Would highly recommend a stay. Best part of a 3 week Qld holiday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I took my girlfriend up to stay in the daintree for the weekend. We decided to stay at the Heritage as we saw it was under new management and we had stayed at various other places in the daintree before. (We live in Cairns)
From the moment we arrived we knew we'd chosen the right place. Secluded, beautiful, staff who are completely unobtrusive but there as soon as you need them. We had a swim in the crystal clear river and had a few drinks watching the turtles and various fish swimming about. To top it off the food was second to none. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed at the Heritage Lodge and Spa in the Daintree Rainforest for 4 nights in July/August 2011. I was most impressed with the magnificent, open air dining room - high cathedral ceiling, no walls, dark blue cane tables and chairs, hanging lanterns and kwila wood floor. It sits above a crystal clear, blue creek in the rainforest. The blue oolour of the water is beautiful, I've never seen anything like it. You can see jungle perch and turtles swimming in the crystal water and watch brilliant blue and black Ulysses butterflies flitting about the green forest while you eat delicious food. At breakfast each morning I heard a wompoo pigeon calling "woolack-a-woo". I could not see him but I thought I heard him calling: "I'm looking at youuuuu!". At dinner I saw my first musky rat kangaroo hopping around the lodge grounds - such a cute little creature.

The lodge has a calming and revitalzing energy and the air is so clean and pure. The cabins are lovely and serviced daily. The staff are friendly and helpful and arranged all tours for me. And I had a relaxing massage with Jancy Lea and some helpful advice about writing plays from Amy.

I did a wonderful guided walk at Coopers Wilderness with a character called "Piggy" who pointed out all the flora and fauna of the rainforest - most informative. Then I went on a crocodile spotting cruise on Coopers Creek where we saw 4 metre (12 foot) crocodiles sunning themselves on the mangrove banks. They looked like scary prehistoric monsters to me!!!

I can highly recommend the Jungle Surfing - it is so much fun flying through the jungle and the guides are skilled and fun and made me forget my fear of heights.

If you want to spend some time getting in touch with nature, wildlife and beauty and dine on delicious food with a nice glass of sauvignon blanc or whatever takes your fancy, then Heritage Lodge and Spa is an excellent place to stay. Vicki Bidwell was a wonderful hostess who looked after me, showed interest in my experience and shared her love of the Daintree National Park - this unique world heritage area in Far North Queensland. The calming, nurturing and revitalizing energy has enriched my body, mind and spirit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

What a wonderful time we had at the heritage lodge and spa. If you are looking for real peace and quiet then this is it. No stress. Great massages, great food and great conversation. The staff were genuinely friendly, gave some great advice on where to go in the local area and the service was outstanding.
We will be back. Did wonders for my husband!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Heritage Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!