“Comfortable and convenient (to the racecourse!)” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%!
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Greenlane
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable and convenient (to the racecourse!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Breakfast buffet is quite good but dinner buffet (Italian) was ordinary. Unfortunately there is no restaurant or cafe in walking distance nearby so without a car you're stuck. Wifi is overpriced.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Colin M, Manager at Novotel Auckland Ellerslie, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are determined to deliver a great Italian buffet and will continue to refine this. Thank you for your thoughts as they do help in this process.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed in the Novotel in August and booked one of their pre-paid accommodation deals directly from the hotel and it was excellent value. This hotel has lovely good sized rooms, comfortable beds, very clean and friendly/helpful staff.
I found the food in the restaurant to be overpriced but the room service was even worse. I must say one of the worse room service meals I have ever had. Not only was it cold when it arrived it was not cooked through and tasteless.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. We were pleased to read that you found the hotel to be 'excellent value'. We were disappointed to read about your room service experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently stayed at Novotel,Ellerslie and was very impressed as I have never stayed here.

Lovely big rooms
Free parking and plenty of parks (most hotels charge extra)
Friendly,helpful staff
Easy to find and central
I booked through Expedia which was a fantastic price for what we got

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We appreciated and enjoyed your comments.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Novotel Ellerslie is in an excellent location. Close to motorway. Having stayed in the Ibis wing a couple times before, I decided to try the Novotel wing given that I was staying for 6 nights. On checkin I was asked how many cards I require, I just said the one. However on reflection now, I would have asked for 2 given that you need one to activate your power sockets etc. So if you wanting to charge your Iphone or laptop while enjoying a meal or a drink downstairs, it wont charge as you need your card for the door. So I would recommend asking for 2.
The door to my room, was sticking and I had to use my shoulder to push door open.....really??? actually when I got to my room, i had to try several times using my card as it took forever to see the green light, anyway. After about 15 attempts I managed to access my room.
The room was very clean, and well appointed, nice temperature, good natural light.
I did note the landing for the elevators when opened on my floor (5) was not even to the landing. a little step.
the following day, I mentioned the door to the reception team as they asked how my first night was. (nice touch) I said that the door had some issues. to be responded with 'its like that' you have to really push it? Really??? not impressed. He did ask if he can send a porter up to the room to look at it? I declined the offer. I would have expected if they viewed their computer that they would have seen that I am there for 6 nights, that perhaps an alternative could be offered. I am aware that it could have been high occupancy. I was not worried about the room door. I was looking for empathy, but imagine if it is another hotel guest.
The restaurant. I included breakfast with my 6 nights, so was not fussed about cost - however I merely wanted to have cereal and toast not a full breakfast selection. $32.00 it too expensive for the offering, especially given that cereal bowls are chipped? I had to go through several bowls and side plates to find something not chipped. Again for $32.00 you would expect non chipped bowls. the lovely breakfast chef, I believe she is from Peru. was the one person who actually knows what service is. I did not get her name, just she was from Peru. She remembered me from my previous stays at Ibis, and knew poached egg. every morning during my stay she was on, so I had toast and poached egg. She was welcoming even while doing her normal routine. Please thank her for service.
Bar; standard bar service, was ok. standard fare, happy hour good.
Housekeeping, no issue here - I came back after my days work and room was clean, bed made. I was surprised that there was no cutlery in room? while that did not bother me, as I brought some from chinese.
Concierge; maybe your chief concierge, keep him!! he is friendly, courteous, empathetic and knows how to speak with guest. This guy impressed me. well done.
Front office. when I checked out, I came from Novotel end, and had to go to far end terminal to check out (closest to Ibis end) not sure why especially given that I was the only person checking out at the time, and the Night Manager, could have used the other spare terminals closest to Novotel. Not to sure, as I think thats been lazy..."let the customer come to me" really???

As an advantage plus member, I enjoy staying at your property. I will continue to stay at your property. Just some feedback from my recent visit,.

Room Tip: ask for 2 cards one for the door and the other for power
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback following your recent stay. We are thankful for your thoughts and observations, and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My hubby and I try to get away at least once a year for a weekend with out the kids. Novotel Ellerslie is one of our favourite places to escape to.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, the breakfast is always worth getting up for. We love the Kiwi lamb pizza - room service is great and the staff are friendly and helpful.

We have bought some of the deals they offer too. When you get movie vouchers and Westfields gift card to spend at Silvia park. We always look forward to our weekend at the Novotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you stay with us regularly and enjoy your time with us. We certainly appreciate your support and eagerness to return. See you next time!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Have travelled here for business often and is a nice hotel. Beds are great. if youre there at a busy time it can be noisy with slamming doors for some reason. Food and services are expensive. Train station nice and close with a circa $4 ticket to the heart of Auckland.

Room Tip: Local shops an restaurants in Remuera and Elerslie are worth the walk for price and variety.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments.
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed for three nights and found the room of a good standard however I wouldn't pay and bother with the breakfast - it's of a really poor quality for the price. Bland eggs, fatty bacon and cold coffee. Also the standard of housekeeping was poor - bath and sink not wiped down and cups not washed. The location is central. Would be good to have docking station/ radio in the room like their Wellington hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your thoughts and suggestions. We were disappoint to read that you did not find our breakfast to be good value for money. We are determined to provide a consistently great breakfast and we will continue to seek opportunities to improve. Your feedback does help in this process. Thank you.

Been to Novotel Auckland Ellerslie? Share your experiences!