“Nice food, service patchy...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Nice food, service patchy...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nice food, enjoyed by all - mix of pies and chip-type dishes. Pub smelt a bit stale with that trapped stuffy odour of a torpid eatery, and could have done with some fresh air. Service was very slow-motion at the bar, where staff were good at finding customers invisible. Also, seemed a bit slow on the uptake.

Overall, would not object to going here if it was convenient for going to or from somewhere nearby, but would not travel to it, if other options were nearer...

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
london
“Cooked chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Oh wow, one of my pet hates is soggy or undercooked chips which it seems almost everywhere manages nowadays but not the Woodman. They were perfect as was the burger I had to go with them. I don't eat a lot of fried food, but when I do, I like it just right. My wife had a huge portion of Shepherds pie which she said was great. I was also introduced to Doom here. what a wonderful beer. If any complaint , It had to be my wifes, that the size of the meal stopped her from trying there desserts ! Found 4 really nice, untried restaurants this time and am looking forward to visiting them all again soon.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“At last, proper pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Called in after a trip on the steam train on a rainy august day and have to do a review because it has renewed my fading belief in british pub grub. I had liver & onions, my wife home made lasagne my children omelete, burger & ham egg. Nice big fat chips, good portions & tasty grub all round. Good choice of beer with friendly staff. All at the cheapest meal we have had this week.
What more can you ask for?

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Derby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, welcoming pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Myself and a group of friends discovered the Woodman Arms on a hen do trip to the IOW for the festival last weekend and we were overwhelmed by the welcome we received from Andy and all the staff there-we had many meals which were all delicious (no-one in our group was disappointed) and countless drinks and all in all had a fantastic trip (and enjoyed meeting others in a similar position!) we cannot thank Andy enough for his warm welcome

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Saved by the Woodman Arms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We unluckily chose this year to go to the IOW Festival.... and all I will say is that Andy at the Woodman Arms made it a memorable one, along with his staff at the pub.... great hospitality, great food, great beer... and met some lovely others including the hen party! who undoubtedly feel the same way as us... enough said - thank you Andy; can't recommend this pub enough! :)

• Visited June 2012