“Home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caiman House Field Station

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yupukari
Caiman House Field Station
You added Caiman House Field Station to your Saves list
Yupukari, Guyana   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Yupukari B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed at the Caiman House Field Research Station for 2 months during the summer of 2013. I can not express how grateful I am for the staff at the Caiman House, they provided me with many up close and personal experiences with an extensive list of wildlife that I would have never seen on my own. I always felt welcomed by all the staff, it was my home away from home during my 2 month stay. The food was great, the cooks were accommodating to any meals I asked for, while also providing a very delicious assortment of local cuisine. If you are looking for an adventure without the uncertainties I highly recommend staying at the Caiman House Field Research Station!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I have visited Caiman House several times as a tour leader, naturalist, scientist, and educator, and I have never been disappointed. The staff is very friendly, highly skilled, and most knowledgeable, the accommodations are very comfortable, and the food is excellent (never in short supply even for me or for my students who are known to compete for the delicious fresh food in a feeding frenzy after an exhilarating morning, afternoon, or evening of activity). The Rupununi is a truly magical place, and Caiman House is an excellent place to see and experience it, from the long term (over 10 years) study of the Black Caiman (over 750 tagged and measured captures - far from pseudoscience; the research has been presented at international meetings and is being published) and night boat floats, to the great birding in the savannah, bush, and along the Rupununi River, to the innovative after school programming for the children of the village (like the yellow-spotted river turtle head-start scientific project), to the amazing countryside - Lake Amacu and its rare birds and wonderful vistas, old fort remnants (and the stories that go with them), magnificent biodiversity (amphibians, reptiles, giant anteaters, giant river otters, ocelots, jaguar (if you are lucky), Harpy Eagle, monkeys, and much much more (great fishing too!)! The people are wonderful, so friendly and full of local and indigenous knowledge and stories, and my students cry every time they have to leave their new found friends, vowing to return (several of them have). What's more, your stay supports an award winning indigenous not for profit organization that is village staffed and run and that provides a library, local employment and skills training, and after school programming that has really turned around the education success rate in Yupukari village and beyond. Caiman House is a place to meet interesting and knowledgeable local folks (and visitors) from all over, as they often show up there during any given visit, with all kinds of great stories to tell. One catches the magic of the Rupununi easily at Caiman House. You can go easily from Caiman House to Karanambu, Lethem, Maipaima Lodge, the magnificent Mapari Wilderness area, etc.
Yupukari Village, where Caiman House is located, is situated on a hilltop with absolutely magnificent views of the Pakaraima Mountains to the north and the Kanuku Mountains to the south - Breathtakingly spectacular. Like I said - don't miss it!! You will not regret your visit for a moment. I'm going back this year for sure. I hope to see you there!

Room Tip: Try to get the second floor room in the main lodge that looks north toward the Pakariama Mountains...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

You don't expect luxury in the wilds of Guyana but you do expect a nice friendly welcome, basic but comfortable and clean accommodation and enough food. This place offered none of these. We stayed in a room in the main lodge and it wasn't much better than the guest cottages. The food was the worst we tasted in Guyana and in very short supply - one evening I got no dinner at all. No staff member seemed interested in remedying this. If it were not for the nice river trips, I would give this place a "terrible" rating.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Metuchen, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

As part of a group, the singles among us were shunted to the workers' quarters next to garbage burning. Three of us shared the bathroom 40 feet away where the toilet did not always flush. No privacy in the room. I had little boys peeking in the first afternoon. The Japanese call their whaling research as do the Amerindians at Caiman House. There is no scientific agency overseeing the so-called data collection. Collection only happens when there are tourists to pay to watch. I was offered the opportunity to sit on the caught caiman to have my picture taken. "Taken" is the operative word!

Room Tip: There are only 4 real guest rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Greenwich, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was with a large birding group and unfortunately was placed in the guest cottages outside the main lodge. The three attached rooms shared a shower and toilet in a separate building outside about 40 feet away. There was no privacy so everyone could see your bathroom activities thru screens. The garbage for the lodge had been burned in piles by the cottages. There was cow poo everywhere. My room had bat in it. And not a mirror could be found. I peeked in the main lodge and it was far superior.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Caiman house had the difficult task of being the last stop on a 10 day trip around the rainforest but ended on a real highlight. Fully integrated with the local village with expert excellent guiding being provided by the Amerindians. There are usually a number of researchers on hand at dinner time to discuss the local and national issues which were very informative. Probably the best guides in the area, even arranging a fishing trip early in the morning from a dug out canoe with a handline which is a must for any fisherman.

Room Tip: All accommodation located in a single house 2 ground floor and 2 upstairs - make sure upstairs take...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oakham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We only stayed here 1 night of an 11 night stay in the rainforests of Guyana but it was an activities packed 2 days mostly revolving around the river. The stay included a night trip on the river with Kenneth, our guide. We had excellent views of a wide variety of birds and wildlife including boas, boat billed herons, giant river otters and of course various caiman. Our trip included observing the research team catch a caiman to determine its' growth, health and movements. We were told that they would catch the first caiman they came across but in the event the animal was a magnificent 3.1m, 300lb male. They were very professional and tried to disturb the animal as little as possible during the taking of measurements. This animal had been chipped and had been captured several years previously and so comparative data was available to show the growth between events. I must say I was a bit dubious about whether this activity was for me but in the event I found it surprisingly informative.
We also had a morning trip in a dugout canoe, again with Kenneth where we saw a large variety of birds including the beautiful agami heron.
The accommodation was of a good standard and the food was fine but not quite as good as we had found in other lodges. However, the staff were exceptionally friendly and we had a lovely time here before returning to the airstrip for our flight back to Georgetown. We were really sad to leave the area as we had such a fabulous time in each of the places we stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Caiman House Field Station? Share your experiences!