“Excellent pub!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Country Pub and Dining specialising in authentic, home made food using local, fresh produce as much as possible. Located in a delightful village setting just mintutes from junction 4 of the M50. Children, dogs and muddy boots are welcome as long as they are accompanied by well behaved adults!
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My partner and I have been visiting this pub a lot recently... A warm cosy atmosphere, excellent service and excellent food. One of the best pubs in Herefordshire. Absolutely worth the 15 mile drive we make to get here!

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Hello Angus, Thank you so much for your kind review. I am really pleased that you find the long journey to get to us worth it.

It is our pleasure to serve you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Moody Cow very soon.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
“"Best Sunday lunch"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Enjoyed a fabulous family sunday lunch at the moody cow. Food was top quality, fresh and hot. Staff were friendly and welcoming and were very keen to make sure we had everything we needed. I would have loved to have given a 5 rating but am unable to because of the time it took to get our main course,45 minutes!! Which seemed even longer as we didn't have starters. What was even more fustrating was that we had to wait over 30 minutes after ordering our desserts. Being a chef myself i understand the pressures of a kitchen and wanting to get everything just right but this was in anybodies terms a bit too long. Just as well the food saved the day.

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Hello Colin, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed our food and that the quality "saved the day".
I am sorry that your party waited longer than is usual for your food to arrive, life in our kitchen was made a little more difficult for us on the Sunday you visited because one of our ovens developed a fault, on a Sunday we rely on these ovens very much and this impacted our cooking times.
We did our best to keep your party and the rest of our guests informed but it is clear we should have done more, as for desserts this was quite unusual for us and was an error on the part of one of our less experienced waitresses which I explained to you at the time.

It is quite unfortunate that both of these issues coincided to diminish your enjoyment and I do hope that we will be given an opportunity to earn five stars next time you come.

cardiff, uk
“Nice Country Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

A nice country pub but this very nice but expensive food, my wife who is a vegetarian had a very nice 3 cheese tart whilst I had an upmarket burger and hand made chips.

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, We are delighted that you enjoyed our home made food.
I do appreciate that our food is not cheap, but I do hope that the quality of the ingredients that we use and the expertise that we impart into every dish that we make represent value for money.

Our homemade beef burger for example is made with 100% ground Herefordshire beef fillet, filled with locally produced Monkland cheese, we even peel every potato by hand before making them into chips and make our own tomato chilli jam and garlic aioli to go with it.

We love it when our guests appreciate the difference and do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Moody Cow soon.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub, serving great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Came here for a week night dinner and hadn't booked. Made to feel very welcome, lovely atmosphere. Excellent menu choices and throughly enjoyed our meal. The citrus treacle tart was amazing!!

Would recommend a visit to this pub.

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted that you enjoyed our home made food, atmosphere and welcome and it was really nice of you to recommend us.

I do hope that we will see you again next time you are in the area.

Kindest regards,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very Odd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had a very odd experience at this pub just before Christmas.
It's a lovely place, the food was reasonable, and the two ladies behind the bar were very friendly. Just as I was thinking that we must come back soon, a man who I later realised was the owner walked past and told us to "Cheer up!" I was completely taken aback; we had recently had some very bad news, so we were probably not looking wildly happy, but we had been quietly enjoying the lunch up till then.
I realise that he was probably just joking, but I was embarrassed and a bit upset; best not to talk to your customers like this unless you actually know them well.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for your review from your visit to us a couple of months ago.
I am deeply sorry if my attempt at humour upset you, quite clearly I must have misjudged the situation.
Thank you for accepting my off line personal apology so graciously.