“I liked this place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Campground and Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Riverside Campground and Cabins
You added Riverside Campground and Cabins to your Saves list
Route 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
El Segundo, CA
“I liked this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

Okay, so when I first booked a cabin at the Riverside Campground and Cabins I was a little bit upset that our cabin would cost $150 per night, plus tax, plus $15 a night for my 5 lb Pomeranian. Of course we had to get the most expensive cabin because we booked two days before our trip and it was the only one left. When I actually got there I was a little bit upset because I expected more out of a cabin that was the price of a hotel room. And the worst part, our expensive cabin lacked a firepit! What's camping without a firepit! But after a two-night stay I really grew to love the campgrounds, cabin, and of course the beautiful scenery and ambience of the Big Sur forest and coastline.

The front office guy was very helpful and allowed us to use a vacant campsite's firepit for the two nights. Oh, if you get a cabin and you really want your own firepit, don't stay in cabins 10 or 11 because they are the only two without one, and ironically the most expensive ones. We could've moved to cabin 9 which had a firepit and was cheaper, but had no private bathroom or shower!

I don't have the usual complaints of other campers at this site such as crowds, loud people, and kids because we had the luxury of our own cabin, deck, bathroom, shower, and kitchen. That's what we paid the big bucks for! The cabin was clean and quaint. The water pressure and hot shower was welcomed in the cold Big Sur morning. So all in all it was a good trip. I was looking to go camping but not to rough it. So a cabin in the woods was perfect!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The price of the cabin
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

Holy Moly! No room to yourself. It took my wife all of 30 seconds to comment on how this was,'not what she expected'. Campground was packed and we were there on a weekday. We have a 6yr old who loved all the other kids running around, but I had enough of the drinking and RV motors. This is not for campers who like to rough if. There is water, electric, picnic tables, and firerings and everysite. And every site is right next to each other. This will suit anyone who wants to be outdoors but still wants to shower daily and feel safe and secure. Only wild life around were the screaming kids (having fun of course), a few bats at dusk, dogs galore-from the other campers-supposed to be on a leash at all times and never are. The one next to us snapped at my daughter, and one curious racoon. Big Sur campground boasting 3 times the sites had better, bigger trees but same atmosphere. I would recommend this to anyone traveling with kids and you don't care what they do. River is more of a creek and rarely over 18inches deep. General store 1/4 mi. up the street, firewood on site for $7. The cabins seemed nice for about $75/night. Get gas before you hit the mountains...$4 per gallon!!

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

Boy do they cram in folks at the Riverside Campgrounds & Cabins. My friend and I paid $79/night for the cabin atop which a family rented the other cabin and let their kids stomp around all night. Nary twenty feet from our front door was a campsite with a family lighting their fire, cooking their meal, etc. Noise until 10 - mostly from kids running around and shouting (exhilirating in their wilderness).

This was not a get-away from it all in Big Sur - the Riverside allows too many people in. Their bathrooms are .25 cents per shower and the faucet hung limp so I couldn't adjust the temp - scalding to freezing - but not remaining warm.

Perhaps I need to up my dollar spending in order to find the peace and quiet I'm looking for in Big Sur.

Been to Riverside Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!