“Very Best Part of Our California Trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
It's easy to be GREEN!
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Mount Airy, Maryland
“Very Best Part of Our California Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful Treebones is. It is a very unique place, unlike anything we have ever experienced. I am not a camper. This is "glamping" (glamour camping)! We stayed in Yurt 16. It was away from the other yurts in the yurt village, which was nice for us. The yurt was absolutely beautiful inside: queen size bed, sink, small table with chairs, a futon and a gas "fire place". Outside on our deck we had two Adirondack chairs and it overlooked the Pacific Ocean. Unreal. This is a chilly area of California, so jackets and long pants are needed. The bed was so comfortable that we had the best night sleep in quite a while! Keep in mind, there is no bathroom, but there was a bathroom a short walk away from our yurt. The showers are a bit farther, but a nice walk. There are only three women's showers, but I never had to wait. I showered at night, which was probably helpful. They are very clean and they do supply one towel and one wash cloth per person. If you need more, just ask-we did! There is no wifi, TV or cell service here. Be prepared! Breakfast was eggs, toast, make your own waffles, granola, and yogurt. Delicious! We were not able to try the restaurant for dinner, but heard it was very good. This was a wonderful way to spend our time in Big Sur. A great place for families to get away, I saw kids loving the pool! Keep in mind, there is quite a bit of walking and it is not flat! :-)

Room Tip: If you do not want to walk far, choose a yurt closer to the main lodge.
Green Features: This resort is as green as it can be! They grow all their own food and have a compost.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Where to start!? Treebones is a special place. The location is perfect - on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The staff are friendly without being overbearing and the yurts are a great experience. The weather during our stay was great, which always helps, and we had a great time relaxing on our porch, or chilling in the hot tub and swimming pool drinking an ice-cold beer. I would recommend this place to get away from the hustle and commercialism of much of the Highway 1 experience. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Pick one with a sea view!
Green Features: Really impressed with the Eco-friendly vibe - From the organic garden to the water-saving measures.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

While on vacation to Big Sur, we met with two other traveling vacay families here at Treebone. This place was found by another family member thru trip advisor. We only met here for lunch. This place was awesome! There were very few people here in the rearurant. The atmosphere was mellow & relaxed. There is a gift shop of cool Eco friendly items (hippie-like). There are interesting pictures and history of the place. Our waitress was friendly and charming. The food was EXCELLENT! I had the salad but sorry I forgot what kind I had. Being a vegetarian, the choices were good.
I should mention one down fall of this place...the sign to Treebone from the main highway is very small and not easily noticeable.
I'd love to go back & stay a few night in the highly rated Yurts.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May and it was AMAZING! The yurts, the views the staff, the organic foods. All were wonderful. The make yourself waffles in the morning were easy and delicious. All their food is organic or freshly picked from their garden and you can tell.

Our yurt was very comfortable and relaxing with the best sunset views. Expect hearing seals in the morning and walking uphill to the restrooms and showers. The showers were very clean and water was warm.

I would totally come back here again and again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Loved staying here in a yurt. It took a day to get used to not cell phones, no wi-fi but the bed was extremely comfy and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean was incredibly relaxing. One night some people next to us were loud-that is the nature of being almost in a tent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Not great cell phone access but amazing views. The walls are cloth and the neighboring yurt watched a loud movie then made quite a bit of not-rated-PG noises of their own. They offer earplugs at the front desk, but wow! The restaurant was cozy and nice with more great views. It can get cold and windy outside at night though, especially headed to the bathrooms; so bring warm clothes.

Room Tip: You can pick your yurt from the map on their website.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

On a short notice we rented out one of the Single Tents 2 days ago for one night as all other bigger options were occupied. The option on the website for one night was not possible so I thought I try my luck on the phone as we only had one night to go there. We came in at about 7 pm in the evening bought us a big mattress and sleeping bag at Target for just this one night (180 $). The weather wasnt perfect but our mood was flying high. At the checkin at the desk I saw the inviting pool and jacuzzi peaking through the window on the side of the mainlodge. As it was pretty cold at the time I had this great picture in my head checking out the pool on the next morning when the sun might be up. So I asked the reception if it was cool to use the pool round noon after breakfast. She told me we were not supposed to use the pool after our checkout at 11 am. I asked again and told her as we just arrived and the weather wasnt ideal it would be great if she could grant us checkin out the pool at noon and then leave. She insisted that those were the rools of Tree Bones. After spending 100 Dollars for 2 people on Sushi beeing served by a great waiter called Johnny we already spent 700 dollars considering everything we invested to come from LA to Treebones. We enjoyed the stay / view and food very much. The introduction for my sense of quality service lacked a bit of sensitivity. The next morning we had a great breakfast in the mainhall. Sitting near the fireplace we were suddenly part of a gathering of the staff in the mainlodge. The owner had a staffmeeting as far as we could tell. Just from hearing what was discussed I can tell how much love they put in everything. We left them to their privacy and went down to Sand Piper Beach and searched for some Jadestones. Thanks to Jesse and Johnny and everybody who gave us a great welcome even though we only had a small Tent ;) We will be back and hope to catch the a bigger Yurt next time.

Room Tip: ask for different sea views first before booking. plan to checkin early to really enjoy the pool and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!