“Glamping, with all the pluses and minuses” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
It's easy to be GREEN!
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Glamping, with all the pluses and minuses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Not great cell phone access but amazing views. The walls are cloth and the neighboring yurt watched a loud movie then made quite a bit of not-rated-PG noises of their own. They offer earplugs at the front desk, but wow! The restaurant was cozy and nice with more great views. It can get cold and windy outside at night though, especially headed to the bathrooms; so bring warm clothes.

Room Tip: You can pick your yurt from the map on their website.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

On a short notice we rented out one of the Single Tents 2 days ago for one night as all other bigger options were occupied. The option on the website for one night was not possible so I thought I try my luck on the phone as we only had one night to go there. We came in at about 7 pm in the evening bought us a big mattress and sleeping bag at Target for just this one night (180 $). The weather wasnt perfect but our mood was flying high. At the checkin at the desk I saw the inviting pool and jacuzzi peaking through the window on the side of the mainlodge. As it was pretty cold at the time I had this great picture in my head checking out the pool on the next morning when the sun might be up. So I asked the reception if it was cool to use the pool round noon after breakfast. She told me we were not supposed to use the pool after our checkout at 11 am. I asked again and told her as we just arrived and the weather wasnt ideal it would be great if she could grant us checkin out the pool at noon and then leave. She insisted that those were the rools of Tree Bones. After spending 100 Dollars for 2 people on Sushi beeing served by a great waiter called Johnny we already spent 700 dollars considering everything we invested to come from LA to Treebones. We enjoyed the stay / view and food very much. The introduction for my sense of quality service lacked a bit of sensitivity. The next morning we had a great breakfast in the mainhall. Sitting near the fireplace we were suddenly part of a gathering of the staff in the mainlodge. The owner had a staffmeeting as far as we could tell. Just from hearing what was discussed I can tell how much love they put in everything. We left them to their privacy and went down to Sand Piper Beach and searched for some Jadestones. Thanks to Jesse and Johnny and everybody who gave us a great welcome even though we only had a small Tent ;) We will be back and hope to catch the a bigger Yurt next time.

Room Tip: ask for different sea views first before booking. plan to checkin early to really enjoy the pool and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a mother daughter weekend at Treebones over Memorial Day. This place is going at the top of my favorite places list! Our ocean view yurt was so nice - very comfortable bed, spotlessly clean, and plenty of comfy seating. The view was amazing from our porch, where we had 2 Adirondack chairs. The staff were all helpful and friendly. We had great meals in the restaurant both nights - the salmon is terrific. The atmosphere here is very relaxing! Yes you need to walk to the bathroom, but when you get there the facilities are nice and clean. We both loved the location with plenty of hiking nearby. This is a wonderful place! Love, love love it!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is an eco-friendly resort that provides options to stay in a yurt (a circular, permanent tent) or a campsite. So don't compare it against staying in a lodge or inn.

- Campsites have unbelievable views.

The yurts are really comfortable. It is not a hardship as they are heated.

- Wi-fi in the main lodge.

- No cell service - You're off the grid here, my friend.

- No toilets or showers in the yurts. You just walk up to the lodge.

- Limited restaurant options: There's a restaurant option in the main lodge that's more quiet and reserved. If you want more energy, grab a spot at the on-site (yes!) sushi bar. Treebones is located in a nice quiet area. There's a place called Whale Watchers Cafe, about a mile south, but you don't want to eat there. Your best options are the two Treebones restaurants. They don't get Yelp reviews but you have to keep them in context. You're in the middle of nowhere so the logistics of running a restaurant are more complicated.

The yurts aren't soundproof so you can hear the wind blowing or even your nearby neighbors.

You're not near Big Sur (or Nepenthe) so keep that in mind. Treebones is really isolated and that's saying a lot.

Green Features: They put a lot of work into maintaining an eco-friendly resort.
Milford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

When I booked this trip to California six months ago, I was really apprehensive about the "tent" thing. I am not a camper. But this..... wow! I am so glad we did this! The yurts are really very nice inside with a polished wood floor and the most comfortable bed I ever slept in in my entire life. It was really very spacious and didn't feel like you were in anything less than a hotel room (except for the lack of a bathroom of course!). The grounds that Treebones is on is such a beautiful piece of earth. The green and wheat colored hills behind and the ocean right in front.. OMG, just beautiful!! Yeah, it was kind of a pain to get up (twice) in the middle of the night to pee but once I got back in that warm bed.... totally forgotten.
The second night we were there, they had a concert with Naked Soul, a group out of SanFran. They were incredible. It was a beautiful, wonderful, even surreal evening with the mountain clouds rolling past us.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I ever get the chance to come back to California and will definitely recommend to anyone I know that is going. This is an experience you just have to try!

Room Tip: Even the "partial view" have a very good view so don't worry about spending the extra...
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was impressed with this place from my first email enquiry. They have a two night min stay and I only wanted one but as they have an availability calendar online i could see they happened to have a one night gap when i wanted to stay- chanced my arm with an enquiry and appreciated their flexibility - result for everyone. The yurt was huge (too big to be cosy?) and the bed was superbly comfy. We were badly let down by the weather or had unrealistic expectations. I had done a minimal amount of research and expected it to be warm and sunny in September. Well it was cold, drizzly and so misty you couldn't see the sea despite being right next to it. So the whole paying more than my budget really allowed to have a place with a view and a pool didn't pay off. Pity as it left the experience feeling a bit flat - worth others knowing I reckon but no complaints about Treebones. It was a relaxing experience and we felt very well looked after. All the facilities were v clean and good and the hot tub was excellent - a perfect way to experience the outdoors on a grey day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I spent Memorial Day weekend at Treebones with my girlfriend, as a late birthday present. The yurts were really neat, clustered around the restaurant, store and communal bathrooms. Each yurt has a comfy bed, heater and sink, and one can modify the temp inside by cracking open the dome on the roof. The sushi was fantastic, and Johnny the waiter incredibly friendly and helpful. The Wild Coast roll is not to be missed! The lodge has a nice fireplace for the evening when it gets chilly, and a heated pool and hot tub for apres hike relaxing. Sunday a great little band played for a few hours on the stage out in front of the lodge. All the staff were friendly and accomodating and helpful in recommending hikes.

The downsides: it was a bit expensive for the lack of amenities, but you are way down the coast in the middle of all the hiking and scenery. Having to get dressed in the middle of the night to walk up to the bathroom was not exciting. The yurts were a bit close together for privacy, so you could hear the couples next door. Wifi was not too useful.

Overall a really neat spot, for those who want to be off the grid for awhile. You can plan your hikes north or south to see some really neat spot, lunch somewhere, then hike/sightsee for the afternoon, then get back and hot tub those stiff legs for a bit before grabbing some great sushi. The Big Daddy IPA on tap was delicious after a long day.

Room Tip: Look for an ocean view yurt. You can sit on your little porch with a glass of wine and relax in sem...
Green Features: seems like they are totally self-sufficient and very green.
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Others will find your observations helpful! Our prices do reflect what it costs to sustain a business in this remote, isolated area. The tent campsites site, as opposed to the yurts, are truly a great alternative for the budget minded.

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!