“lovely” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
71895 Highway #1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Yorkshire
“lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was impressed with this place from my first email enquiry. They have a two night min stay and I only wanted one but as they have an availability calendar online i could see they happened to have a one night gap when i wanted to stay- chanced my arm with an enquiry and appreciated their flexibility - result for everyone. The yurt was huge (too big to be cosy?) and the bed was superbly comfy. We were badly let down by the weather or had unrealistic expectations. I had done a minimal amount of research and expected it to be warm and sunny in September. Well it was cold, drizzly and so misty you couldn't see the sea despite being right next to it. So the whole paying more than my budget really allowed to have a place with a view and a pool didn't pay off. Pity as it left the experience feeling a bit flat - worth others knowing I reckon but no complaints about Treebones. It was a relaxing experience and we felt very well looked after. All the facilities were v clean and good and the hot tub was excellent - a perfect way to experience the outdoors on a grey day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Alexandria, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I spent Memorial Day weekend at Treebones with my girlfriend, as a late birthday present. The yurts were really neat, clustered around the restaurant, store and communal bathrooms. Each yurt has a comfy bed, heater and sink, and one can modify the temp inside by cracking open the dome on the roof. The sushi was fantastic, and Johnny the waiter incredibly friendly and helpful. The Wild Coast roll is not to be missed! The lodge has a nice fireplace for the evening when it gets chilly, and a heated pool and hot tub for apres hike relaxing. Sunday a great little band played for a few hours on the stage out in front of the lodge. All the staff were friendly and accomodating and helpful in recommending hikes.

The downsides: it was a bit expensive for the lack of amenities, but you are way down the coast in the middle of all the hiking and scenery. Having to get dressed in the middle of the night to walk up to the bathroom was not exciting. The yurts were a bit close together for privacy, so you could hear the couples next door. Wifi was not too useful.

Overall a really neat spot, for those who want to be off the grid for awhile. You can plan your hikes north or south to see some really neat spot, lunch somewhere, then hike/sightsee for the afternoon, then get back and hot tub those stiff legs for a bit before grabbing some great sushi. The Big Daddy IPA on tap was delicious after a long day.

Room Tip: Look for an ocean view yurt. You can sit on your little porch with a glass of wine and relax in sem...
Green Features: seems like they are totally self-sufficient and very green.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Others will find your observations helpful! Our prices do reflect what it costs to sustain a business in this remote, isolated area. The tent campsites site, as opposed to the yurts, are truly a great alternative for the budget minded.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were very very excited to come and stay here, and it is a truly special place. First the good - location is supreme, of course. The pool and hot tub - a real blessing! The sushi was very good and a lot of fun - and naturally very pricy, but you're paying for the location! The bed was VERY comfortable, and it's a good thing the bedding was so warm, because the room was very cold! Definitely appreciated having a sink in the room with drinking water! The little shop is really nice for gifts, snacks and souvenirs. Very nice to get to walk in the garden, too, although I had a strong impulse to get my pruners out and do some maintenance - I've never seen Chard as tall as I am ;-) Overall, I'm afraid I'm perhaps getting too old for not having a bathroom very close by, and the shared showers could be roomier and better equipped for space to put your stuff, etc. I'm not sure there was really enough difference between the yurt and camping to justify the price for me... even though the yurts are nicely appointed, the sounds of the constant flapping of the canvas in the wind was pretty annoying.
However, what I really was expecting was a LOT more quiet. Shocked to have to listen to landscaper's power blowers - especially when guests are warned to keep quiet because of the thin canvas yurt walls.... and you do hear everything and every one can hear you! And at night, I wanted to stargaze, but the landscape lighting was very intrusive... maybe they could put them on motion sensors or something because to me, that's a big thing to get away for - especially at a place like this - is the magnificent night sky... anyway, if we came again, we'd probably just camp!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review and the helpful observations you noted. Others will find this very helpful.
The yurts, being a tent of sorts, do indeed reflect the ambient temperatures outdoors..bring layers!
I apologize for the noise from the landscape crew..they travel many miles to work with us once a week, and sometimes, even though we have instructed them to stay out of earshot, their work takes them where they shouldn't.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

As a self proclaimed "non camper" I did not know what to expect and feared the worst. What an amazing discovery to find a most glorious and comfortable evening in my Yurt! To sleep to the sound of wind and water was like a dream. The views are spectacular and the food is four stars. I can't wait to come back and bring my whole family. A beautiful balance of stillness and adventure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad your experience superseded your fears of 'roughing it"!
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been dreaming of visiting Treebones for several years and I was finally able to spend a night there earlier this month. What a magical place! Perched atop a cliff overlooking the ocean, Treebones captures the essence of the California coast.

My travel companion was a bit worried about staying in a yurt, but they are absolutely beautiful structures. The yurts are tastefully decorated, cozy, warm, and impeccably clean. After a comfortable night's sleep, soothed by the sound of the wind, my friend was completely converted and now she wants to bring her family from New York to experience the joys of staying in a yurt.

We were only able to spend one night at Treebones, so we didn't get to experience everything that the resort has to offer but the accommodations were top notch, the customer service was warm and friendly, and the food was terrific. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the main lodge, accompanied by some delicious California wine. We didn't have a chance to check out the sushi bar, but it sounds really great too.

Before dinner, we wandered around the grounds and had the opportunity to see "The Nest" (you will have to see it to believe it!) and the beautiful organic garden. It was really nice to know that much of the delicious produce we enjoyed eating had been grown right on the property.

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all and reconnect with nature, Treebones is an ideal destination. You will be very comfortable and beautifully taken care of.

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean view yurt, but it really didn't matter. Once you stepped out the do...
Green Features: You can tell by the resort's policies that Treebones is obviously VERY committed to taking care of the environment
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. You gave some helpful observations and i am glad we met your expectations!
Cali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wow..where should I start? Overall the experience was wonderful.. Except for 1 MAJOR NEGATIVE POINT. I almost gave this place 3 stars because of it. But we did truly enjoy our stay, which is why I gave it 4 stars.

MAJOR NEGATIVE POINT!!-We stayed in the nest, which was amazing. I highly recommend staying there. However, my boyfriend and I felt like we were animals in a cage at the zoo because none of the others guests respected the PRIVACY signs clearly posted on the fence surrounding the nest. We stayed a total of 3 days/2 nights..each day at least 3 or 4 different couples asked us about the nest and a few couples even tried hopping the fence to take pictures of the nest while we were IN THE NEST!!! The first night I fell asleep early, My boyfriend stayed up to read his magazine. This couple hopped the fence and walked over to the nest, it wasn't until they saw my boyfriend that they apologized. This happened on a DAILY basis..a few couples apologized but majority didn't. We would leave our belongings in the nest while we were hiking during the day (because there was no where else to put our clothes, etc)... it makes me wonder if the other guests would go thru our stuff. When we checked out, we told the hotel staff. Our concern was quickly dismissed. The hotel staff said it was "human nature" to be curious..REALLY?? We didn't go to their yurt to take pictures of where they slept. So why should they be allowed to take pictures of where we slept..while we're still sleeping!! As we were packing up our vehicle..the "vultures" noticed we were packing up to leave and ran over to take pictures in the nest..Wow..very classless....

Postives-The overall "glamping" experience was nice. I've travelled all over the world...but this was my first camping trip. The staff was great (except for the response when we checked out), the food was amazing, and the restrooms/showers were nice. The restaurants were really good too.

I would definitely recommend staying here and reserving the nest...but be prepared to feel like an animal at the zoo! Because apparently it's "human nature" to be curious!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your helpful review of Treebones and the Nest. We are happy to hear that you loved our place in general but so sorry to hear of the intrusion of your privacy by others. It was not appropriate for our Front Desk person to excuse it as "human nature' to be curious. Even though the Nest is very unique it has been clearly fenced and has privacy signage. We won't accept the "human nature of curiosity" excuse and are going to increase our efforts to inform our guests to respect the privacy of our Nest guests. Thank you for taking the time to inform us and help us improve.
Carmel Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at Treebones Resort only one night, but did not want to leave the property! We rented the yurt with full-ocean view and a fireplace. What a nice romantic accommodation! After driving there, we got to hot Jacuzzi and watched the sunset with other guests, relaxing our tired bodies. Then we went to the lodge and enjoyed a fireplace there with a glass of wine prior to our dinner. We ordered a Moroccan dish which was delicious. In the morning, we cooked our breakfast (pancakes) and ate it outside under sunshine. During our breakfast, we saw many dolphins having their breakfast in the ocean. It was amazing experience! We are dreaming to come back there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your visit and your wonderful comments. We hope your travels will find you returning time and time again.

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!