“Unique experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
71895 Highway #1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Carmel Valley, California
“Unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at Treebones Resort only one night, but did not want to leave the property! We rented the yurt with full-ocean view and a fireplace. What a nice romantic accommodation! After driving there, we got to hot Jacuzzi and watched the sunset with other guests, relaxing our tired bodies. Then we went to the lodge and enjoyed a fireplace there with a glass of wine prior to our dinner. We ordered a Moroccan dish which was delicious. In the morning, we cooked our breakfast (pancakes) and ate it outside under sunshine. During our breakfast, we saw many dolphins having their breakfast in the ocean. It was amazing experience! We are dreaming to come back there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your visit and your wonderful comments. We hope your travels will find you returning time and time again.

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've had my eye on Treebones ever since a copy of Budget Travel came by my desk in 2008. It was worth the wait! As others have said, perhaps not for everyone but if you know what you like and this sounds like it will float your boat go for it! For my husband and I it was paradise. Perhaps minus the shared bathroom facilities but we could deal with it for the amazing trade off of all the beauty and peace. The yurts are gorgeous, comfortable, clean. You have some electricity in the yurt, enough for two lamps and charging your phones etc. We had a gorgeous wide wooden countertop surrounding the sink in our room, awesome to have a sink so you can wash up without going to the shared shower facilities. The landscaping is amazing, it's a pleasure just to walk around the grounds looking at all the various water features, succulents, pines, flowers. We were in yurt #6 and it was perfect, a partial ocean view. Initially I was disappointed that all of the ocean view yurts were booked but once there I realized it was unnecessary, you are surrounded by ocean views from the whole property. I loved that they allowed you to wander through the on-site organic garden, I was in awe of the gorgeous garden bounty (served in the restaurant on-site). We enjoyed time in the hot tub and pool which were at the lodge. The lodge was great to have as a comfortable place to hang out if you wanted. The outdoor bar which wraps around the lodge facing the ocean is amazing, perfect spot for a cocktail or morning coffee. Breakfast which is included was good although I'd highly recommend trying to reduce the volume of the beeping noise on the make your own waffle machines. That certainly put a stop to the lovely peace and quiet. The sushi bar was the hot spot and we had a fantastic dinner there during sunset one night (bar faces large window looking out at ocean). There is a great gift shop in the lodge which has nicely chosen snacks and drinks (I was so excited to see Kombucha in stock! my kind of place). The staff were all friendly and helpful, seemed to love being there as well as the travelers. I will definitely be back when possible!

Room Tip: #6 was fantastic, partial ocean view
Green Features: Then encourage you to leave the paper cups behind in the yurt so they can compost. Treebones definitely seems to do as much as possible to compost and reduce waste. They had pieces of spaghetti as coffee stirrers which were then disposed of in the compost bin, genius!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy you discovered Treebones in the Budget Travel magazine and that we remained on your 'go' list...we are glad we exceeded your expectations.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you're planning on visiting the Big Sur area, then you have to see if you can stay here!
Treebones resort is a collection of yurts located just off Highway 1, overlooking the Pacific ocean. To say that this place is relaxing is one of the biggest understatements that I can make!

The people here are lovely, quirky perhaps, but lovely all the same! There are two 'eateries' at Treebones, the main restaurant and the sushi bar-both are absolutely outstanding! The sushi that I had at Treebones was the best that I have ever tasted, and I am yet to find somewhere which can live up to the standards set! Just to paint you a picture, the sushi bar is literally just that, a bar with places for 7-8 people, you can't book, and it's only open for a limited time each day. In front of you is your master sushi chef, preparing your food with a huge window behind him showing off vistas of the pacific. Half way through our sushi feast, all were called outside to observe blue whales that just happened to be migrating past our locale! AWESOME!
The main restaurant serves food from local sources only-herbs and veg from their own cultivations, and I believe that the chicken was too. Lovely rustic cooking, very much appreciated!

I haven't even gotten onto the accommodation yet....Basically these yurts are absolutely lovely! Upon waking on our first morning at the resort-my fiancé and I looked at each other and immediately rejoiced at the best nights sleep that either of us had ever had! I admit, the sea air and the long drive may have contributed-but take nothing away from the comfort of the bed, and the feeling of relaxation that Treebones offered!

I will be back there one day-there's a whole load of places that need to be visited first-but one day I will return to Treebones, and I can't wait!

Green Features: Fantastic sustainability and environmentally friendly!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your informative review....we don't mind being called 'quirky"! ..as long as our guests feel well taken care of! As owners we love and enjoy the sushi and restaurant menus as much as our guests because we live here too...we feel privileged to enjoy such healthy, fresh and honest food.
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place is such a gem. Glamping at its finest. Totally off the grid - they generate their own power, grow most of the food they serve in the restaurant, and most of the staff lives on the grounds! Now if you want Four Seasons pampering, go up the coast to the Post Ranch or the Ventana Inns. But if you want to feel close to nature without the hassle of pitching your own tent, go to Treebones.

One recommendation - try to book a yurt away from the main building because of the noise from the generators. Unless, of course, that sort of thing doesn't bug you. And know you will have to trudge to the common bathroom

Green Features: The best I've seen. Period. Organically grown produce, as locally sourced as it gets - from their own garden! Well water, propane and solar generated electricity.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for providing very helpful tips for curious readers and possible future guests...I hope they take your advice!
kyfusion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The attention to detail at the resort is amazing, from koi pond to the swing to relax in. My husband and myself were in aww the whole stay. The lodge is fully equipped with a shop that has anything you could need and the restaurant is fantastic. The staff there is amazing and it almost has a family feel. But above all that the views are great and the Yurts are beautiful. Out of a 12 day vacation and 5 different resorts they had the most comfortable beds by far.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of our place... there is indeed a family feel here because it is family dreamed of, built, owned & operated and we consider all our staff to be like family in many ways!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've had my eye on this resort for, literally, YEARS, and was just recently able to make the timing and reservation happen. So glad we did!!! What a fun concept, yurts along the California coast with fantastic views, fresh air, and the Pacific Ocean to feast your eyes upon. Just what we needed.

If you're interested in the "idea" of camping, but don't really want to camp, then this is a perfect option. You have the comfort of a queen sized bed, an in-room sink, table and chairs and a sofa to relax on, not to mention the Adirondack chairs on your deck for lazing about and soaking in some sun. You will have to use a communal bathroom for toilets and showers, but they were kept neat as a pin, supplied with body wash and hair dryers. Depending on your yurt location, you may have a bit of a walk. Neither my husband or myself experienced waiting times for toilets or showers, which was nice, even though the resort was fully booked.
The front desk staff was super nice, in fact EVERYONE was super nice. We were given a printed sheet that had local trails nearby, which was appreciated and handy to have.
Free breakfast, freshly made waffles (that you make!) are excellent, the homemade granola is delicious, fresh eggs each morning, toast, juice, yogurt...you decide, it's all great!! The owner happened to be in the dining room and gave me the great hint to put my plate and butter on top of the waffle maker to warm up both, brilliant! :-)
Aside from breakfast, we ate in the restaurant twice, once for dinner and once for lunch. Both meals were OUTSTANDING. Pricey, but very much worth the money.
Yurt location is key...there are some with full views of the ocean, some with partial ocean view, and still others with mountain views. From walking the grounds, it looks as if Yurt 9 & 10 are super ideal for unobstructed ocean views...but you will pay more. We were in Yurt 2, which had a partial view, and the best thing about it was the proximity to the restrooms. For some that may be a drawback, but for me, it was something I appreciated. It is also close to the lobby and restaurant. I had read another review that said that their room heater was on a 1-hour timer, ours was not...it ran off and on all night. The Yurts do heat up during the day, so if the temps are warm, you may want to roll up the window covers for some air, but close them up before the sun drops down because it can get chilly at night. Refreshing, really, more than bone cold...at least during our stay.
Tip: Be sure to bring binoculars. We were able to walk to the peak of the grounds, in front of Yurt 9, and look to the left and saw a lot of elephant seals sunning themselves on a nearby beach. We also spotted California Condors while driving and hiking about a bit north of Treebones. What a treat!

We'll definitely be back, it was a great, peaceful time. Save up your pennies and treat yourself, it is WELL WORTH it! Super friendly and accommodating staff, warm atmosphere.

Room Tip: There are family sized yurts, but be advised, no children under 6 are allowed. It's a "camp...
Green Features: This is a "green" resort. You are reminded to go green whenever possible, that's a real theme throughout the resort. You won't see paper plates, plastic tableware, you are encouraged to recycle and reuse whenever possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. You have provided a lot of helpful information for inquiring travelers, if they read your comments they will certainly come prepared for their own 'glamping experience' here at Treebones. I am so glad that after having your eyes on our place for YEARS you were finally able to visit and that we met your expectations. Don't wait too long to return!
Campinas, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed there one night at the end of march. Yurt #15
The location is really good, quiet and with a wonderfull view of the ocean.
The yurt is quite big but simple, which is the purpose of the place. No bathroom in the yurt, you'll have to shower at the main building-could be cleaner. In the main building, you'll also have a delicious breakfast (where you can cook your waffle yourself!). The pool is next to it. Didn't try it as it was a bit chilly.
Even if the guy at the reception wasn't that nice, all the other staff members were really kind.
The only thing that I disliked was the heating system inside the yurt. At this time of the year, it was pretty cold at night and the heater has a 1 hour timer...then it turns off and you have to turn it on again. I don't like to waste energy but waking up in the morning with 5° out of the bed is not a nice way to start the day....Unless you want to wake up every hour during the night...
I guess it can be fun when the purpose is camping but when I pay U$230/night, I expect a bit more comfort.

Room Tip: Yurt 15 is a bit far from the main building but really quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. You are correct in that March can still be very chilly, especially at night. Our warmest months in Big Sur are generally September and October...these are the actual 'summer months' of Big Sur.

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!