“Quaint cottages, beautiful views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lucia Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lucia Lodge
You added Lucia Lodge to your Saves list
62400 Hwy 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Quaint cottages, beautiful views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The location of the cottages is stunning. up on a cliff top where you can sit outside and watch the waves crash into the cliffs below. The bed was comfortable, the cottage was clean and the stove kept it plenty warm enough.

If you go round the back of the cottages and up the hill, a path takes you up a hill from where you can get a brilliant vantage point to watch the sun set.

The evening meal I ate was very enjoyable, as was breakfast.

I hope I get an opportunity to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one of the cottages down the far end (7, 8, 9 or 10) for the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The views are great, the place is clean, period. Rooms are simple (they certainly lack a bit of extra work to make them look nicer). The service is not great. Nobody is rude but they don't move any extra to help you a bit with local info or so. Overall a bit overpriced (since there are nice views all over Big Sur)
The restaurant is plainly terrible. Overpriced, mediocre food and terrible service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I used to wait tables. I'm in the hospitality field and I'm a business owner. I encountered possibly the worst in customer no-service, while in the middle of nowhere -- which would kind of make sense I suppose.

After the server went from rude to wtf? is this for real?!, I went to inform the woman who'd checked me into the lodge the previous day, who I assumed was in a managerial position.

Me, "I realize there's a small labor pool here, but I just encountered possibly the most rude server I've ever dealt with. I'd rather drive the 15 miles to a different place for dinner than deal with her."

Her, "What do you want me to do about it. I have nothing to do with them. I just work at the store, go tell them."

I told her it was customary for people working at an establishment when a complaint is expressed to at least give the impression that you care. A cursory, "I'm sorry you had that experience", probably would have sufficed. She slid a business card over and said I should complain to the owner.

She then told me that I had to leave, she had customers to take care of. I informed her that I was a customer, and a guest of the lodge, who was growing more displeased.

At this point I inquired about their refund policy, not wanting to stay there one minute longer than necessary. Reluctantly, she called Virginia, who handles reservations, and on a scrap of paper wrote I would be refunded for that night.

When I asked her name - she clammed up. Seemed a little sketchy to me, no email verification of a refund and a store clerk who wouldn't tell me her name.

Very unfortunate for all the international travelers who stop at this place - I hope they don't think the rest of CA is as unwelcoming as the Lucia Lodge. To top it off, the server asked all her tables if they wanted the tip included in the bill!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed just one night in a beautiful cabin overlooking the ocean.

Nice room and outside seating spaces for enjoying beautiful peaceful views.

We were welcomed warmly and given good local information.

Top tip: Take your own wine to sip in the evening and some supplies as the shop is very expensive indeed. They do provide ice-buckets though.

Dinner is mediocre but the setting is what you come here for. And what a setting it is. Beautiful

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed one night in Oct. and it served our purposes. Nothing spectacular here but the view...and it is spectacular. The rooms are on the older side for sure, but very, very clean with comfortable bed. Noise can definitely be a problem due to the very, very thin walls, but as long as guests know things shutdown early you should get some sleep. Some nice benches and viewpoint to take some wine and a meal and watch the ocean or sunset. Only other thing to know is that it is not in Big Sur proper, so you may have to drive a bit if your dining, etc. elsewhere in the area.

Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We ate lunch at Lucia Lodge last weekend. The food was great. The staff was friendly and the view was outstanding. y wife and I enjoyed a relaxing lunch with our 4 month old daughter. I recommend the fish and chips. The portabella sandwich was excellent as well. Very easy to get to as it is right off of Highway 1.

This was an easy choice as we traveled on Highway 1.

Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

At first when we drew up I thought what have we come to. But I really yes it's maybe not everyone's choice,but the bed was the best we had slept in all the trip. The food was great as was the setting, yes I would stay there again and yes I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Get up early for really hot water to shower in
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!