“Incredibly nice people!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lucia Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
los angeles, California, USA
“Incredibly nice people!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a tough review because we didn't actually stay inside the lodge, we slept in the car in the parking lot due to highway 1 being closed directly north of the lodge and directly south, so we were pretty much stuck on the highway on the day before Christmas eve with dozens of other stranger and Lucia lodge was completely sold out. However, they were so incredibly nice, they allowed us all to group in their parking lot and kept the lights and the bathrooms open all night long we did interact with the staff. Also, we dined at their restaurant, super long wait as you can imagine tons of stranded holiday travelers needing to eat, and the service there was also great, given the situation they were incredibly nice and considerate. Food was pretty decent as well, it was a bit on the pricey side but it was rather good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

It was getting dark and I was not willing to drive the PCH anymore so I stopped here. The room accommodates 2 only and was 170. I had a view from room 4. The bed was comfortable, has a comforter and enough pillows. There is a shower stall and the bathroom is basic. The rooms sit on a ledge over looking the ocean. From room 4 there is a view. The lodge is old and has been there forever. There are no lights in this area so you can see all the stars at night. You hear the ocean waves at night, you see the sun come up over the St Lucia mountains and over the pacific ocean in the morning. My description does not give it the glory it truly is. They have internet via satellite and you will get a password to access it. The rooms have no tvs. You are not there to watch tv. The stars at night put on a show for you and in the morning you get a whole new show. Hummingbirds were flying around, whales were playing out in the ocean. Check out isn't until like 1030 take advantage of it. The lodge comes with a continental breakfast that was quite nice served in the restaurant. The restaurant overlooks the ocean also.
I had crab cakes in the restaurant, they were very good and average price. Otherwise I did not eat there. There is a market where you can buy convenient foods, wine or sparkling wine to take to the room.

Room Tip: cabins sit over the ocean and have electric fireplaces with sitting areas. If you are staying more t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in cabin 8 for three nights over Thanksgiving weekend. Our cabin, although not luxurious, was lovely with a nice sitting area and gas fireplace. The view of the southern Big Sur coast was unforgettable. Each evening we enjoyed the sunset from the small hill behind the cabins with a bottle of wine ( brought from home- the stuff in the store is expensive). The Lucia Lodge was a great base for the hiking we did over the weekend. For dinner we ate at the Lucia Lodge one night ( good but not great). The other two nights we drove about half an hour north to Big Sur proper. One night we ate at Nepenthe's (amazing food and atmosphere) and the other we ate at the Big Sur Inn ( also excellent!) . I would recommend the Lucia Lodge if you are looking for a relaxing stay in Big Sur.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the cabins. I would not stay in the motel style rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rancho Murieta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from a three day stay at the Lucia Lodge. Most of the time we were there it rained, but it was not a huge problem because we were there to relax and the bad weather gave us plenty of chance to do so. We stay in cabin #9 and due to the TA reviews it was just as we expected. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable...and as almost everyone else has noted the view was extraordinary. The bathroom was tiny, but again, from the previous reviews we were not surprised and although it was cramped it was not a problem. The only negative regarding the lodging was the lack of ability to contact the management. We were only two hundred yards away from the store but it's not very convenient to run back and forth if you have an issue and it's pouring rain. Theres no cell service and the pay phone in front of the hotel is out of order. One night during a period of high winds a shutter on one of the units was banging loudly but there was no way to contact anyone to fix the problem. Very frustrating. Other than that we were very happy with our stay.
As I said earlier, the bad weather kept us close to the lodge so we ate at their restaurant twice a day. We thought the breakfast they offered us with our room was ample. No complaints there. We also tried a variety of their lunch offerings including soup, salads and the fish and chips. We thought all the food we ordered was very good but what we really weren't impressed with was the service. Even though we had two different waitresses neither one of them were very attentive. It didn't seem to matter how many people were in the restaurant the service was slow and indifferent.
Other than those service issues we enjoyed our visit and we will likely return for the view.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We stopped at Lucia Lodge for lunch completely unplanned and had a great lunch. The food was superb and the staff were very accommodating. Can not believe the poor reviews on this place, I had one of the best meals I have had in California here. Well done guys!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have returned to Lucia Lodge three times since I discovered it ten years ago. It provided me and my friends the perfect respite as it is situated along some of the most picturesque and breathtaking coastline of Big Sur. The very fact that it is rustic is its appeal. It is unpretentious and simple. Quiet and calm. Clean and ample. It is very special because it is basic and if you don’t see that, you missed the point. There are many vantage points situated around the property where you can enjoy a variety of vistas of the ocean, the cliffs and the rocks below--where you will see seals perched basking in the sun and hear them barking deep into the still night. The food at the restaurant is very good, there is a very nice breakfast provided that can be enjoyed on the sunny deck overlooking the ocean and the staff is very friendly. The cost is appropriate. I recommend a quiet get-away with your significant other or gathering some of your favorite peeps, reserve a few rooms and enjoy! I've done both and I’ll be back.

Room Tip: I like the four end cabins, but have stayed in the rooms opposite the parking area and the view is s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I chose this lodge for a visit based on its website, which made the place seem like a classy, cozy place.. but what I encountered was an aging roadside motel, with emphasis on "roadside".

This lodge has its restaurant and business office in one building and its lodgings about 800 feet down the road -- *Highway one* -- which means serious traffic when it comes along. One who's not careful could be "roadkill" on their trek from one to the next.

There are a lot of niceties and fundamentals missing. Like clean windows everywhere (they were filthy), or installing real locks on doors. Or putting an ice supply by the rooms. Or posting a sign at the hard-to-see driveway to the rooms. A towel bar might be nice in the bathrooms.

The construction for the cabins is woozy …. I could feel the footsteps of the guest next door like an earthquake. Indeed, in the middle of the night I decided that guy had a dog that was vigorously scratching her ear and shaking the place. In an earthquake these match box cabins might pop off their perches and bounce into the Pacific.

Attitude at the front desk could be better too. Right at sunset at my arrival the restaurant was closed to "change the menus" from lunch to dinner -- forcing customers away during sunset right at 5pm... Really? Give me a bleeping break !!

Discussing this, the girl at the front desk exuded a mood between indifference and amusement.

Wifi was wifty. Not what you want when there's no phone service.

Not remotely coming back. The shabby door locks above all did it.

Room Tip: rooms along the parking area seem to be the problem.. Tho I haven't tried the others !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!