“Romantic Stay for a night or two” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lucia Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lucia Lodge
62400 Hwy 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
Houston
“Romantic Stay for a night or two”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I recently drove the Coastal Highway from L.A. to Crescent City. The Lucia Lodge was our first night. The lodge has three sets of cabins. Be sure to select the ocean view. The mountain view may disappoint some. The original lodge cabins were build in the 1930's before the Pacific Highway was built, so do not expect the same level of luxury as some of the newer high dollar resorts along the Big Sur Coast. My wife was delighted by the small cozy "romantic" rooms, with a poster bed, gas fireplace and beautiful views out the windows. Each cabin has a set of wooden deck chairs set behind a white picket fence set right on the cliff side. The room rate was half that of the pricey or should we say overpriced resorts ranging along this stretch of coastline. I would not choose to stay for more than a night or two unless you plan to use it as a base to range up and down the coast since there is little to do but soak up the sights from the cliffside. Unfortunately, the cabins actually face south, not west due to the shape of the coast here. A headland to the north, makes it impossible to actually see the sun set, but hey, you can't have everything. The restaurant for the lodge is a short walk up the road and serves great food. I had Cod or something like that and it was delicious and reasonalbly priced. The restaurant itself overlooks the ocean and has indoor or outdoor seating. I would recommend the Lucia Lodge to anyone looking for a quiet, reasonably priced, and un-pretentious place to stay along the Central Big Sur Coast.

Room Tip: The older ocean view rooms have the best view and are farthest from the road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Just south of Big Sur State Park, perched on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific right on Hwy 1 with a spectacular view of the ocean. We stayed in cabin 10 which was great. Its like stepping back in time since it doesn't seem like much has changed since it was built in the 30's: no TV and nothing much to do other than enjoy nature. The restaurant wasn't much to speak of but the hotel is worth the stay if you are making your way down the PCH.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
nova scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were driving down the PCH in early April and happened to stop at the Lucia Lodge . We were a little pressed for time and there was a landslide just down the road . I was a little frustrated because we couldn't continue down the road .So we had a nice lunch at the lodge sitting out on the back deck . The views were so amazing we took a little walk and in minutes all the stress and frustration's of a long days travel were gone . So I have to say that if you need to take a break the views at Lucia Lodge are some of the best .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at Lucia in mid January, not expecting much however, the weather was spectacular in the mid 60's and beautiful clear days for touring the Pacific Coast from Carmel to San Clemente. Lucia Lodge has a spectacular location with beutiful views of the Coastline. Accomodations define the word rustic but the very quiet location well off the Highway leaves only the sound of the ocean waves on the beaches far below. Try and book the last two or three rooms 8,9, and 10 being the most costly at $250/night. The rest of the rooms are back off the coastal view but still located a short walk to the overlooks. Friendly staff and nice restaurant all adds up, we would recommend Lucia for that rare splurge get away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gualala, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We were lucky to get cabin 10, the one on the end with a fireplace, due to an earlier cancellation. At $250 (including continental breakfast) it was a bit pricey from my perspective, but then again this is a completely unique location and property. The cabins were built in 1937 and haven't had much done to them since other than being kept up. Very rustic and charming, the bed and linens were first class. Tiny bathrooms but great water pressure. We shared a caesar salad and seafood tortellini and it was excellent - the pasta included cod, salmon, halibut, prawns, scallops and mussels in a rich cream sauce. We had enough for lunch the next day, even though we shared a single serving! Very nice staff, particularly the lady who checked us in and ran the store. Don't miss the path that takes you up to the top of the hill, it overlooks the coast north and south and was a beautiful place to watch the sunset. Only real complaints were that the spotlight on the Lucia Lodge sign was light pollution to the view at night, and the pilot light on the fireplace was more like a mini blowtorch. Glad we stayed once, not sure that I would make it a point to return. There are other places (like Ragged Point) close by that are cheaper and more modern. Still, a true slice of the old Big Sur and an experience I am glad we took advantage of.

Room Tip: Get one of the cabins, splurge on #10 if it is available
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

highway 1 between the san francisco bay area and los angeles is a spectacular drive -
we camped most of the time on our adventure, but had decided to splurge one night and stay at a hotel. lucia lodge, about 25mi south of big sur was our choice.

the views, the total quiet except for the sounds of the waves crashing at night, the cozy warm cabin, the delicious meals, and the outstanding staff all combined to make lucia lodge just a wonderful place to stay.
i have stayed in tons of hotels over the years and i'd be hard pressed to remember a place with a more friendly, helpful, informed and fun staff!
the lodge is owned by a long time big sur family and they know how to do things right!
your stay there is worth every penny you spend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
on the road
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

At Lucia Lodge you get what you pay for, lots of view for lots of money.
Small cabins, rustic, a bit worn and shabby, but the location and the view are what it has to offer.
Breakfast is simple but good - and dinner menu looked good too.
At breakfast I asked to see the dinner menu for later that day, and was shown one.
I explained that I did not eat any fish or chicken, and the only meat I ate was an occasional hamburger. Hamburger was on the lunch menu, not the dinner menu, so I asked if it would be possible to have it at dinner. I was told that I would have to ask the cook, but that it probably would not be a problem. I noted that in any case, they offered a vegetarian entree, some pasta.

That night I returned to the restaurant for dinner, and was told that the menu I had been shown was wrong, and that all they had was the Valentines Day menu. It was 4 days before Valentines Day. This menu had no vegetarian meals. The cook said he could not make a hamburger. The waitress suggested that at least they would be able to make me something, a vegetable pasta, or a vegetable plate. I agreed that this would do, but when she checked with the cook, she was told that he would not make anything that was not on the new menu. The restaurant was not busy, only 4 people there. The waitress was clearly embarrassed by the cooks "Take it or leave it - I don't care" attitude. There was nothing else close by...the nearest restaurant is 10 or more miles away.
As I left, hungry, the kitchen door was open, and I saw the cook lounging with two of his friends, laughing, not busy at all.
I bought a 1 ounce cheese stick at the lodge store (I complained about the cook to the woman at the store, to no avail), and ate it with a small packet of pretzels from my airplane flight.
Having paid a very high nightly rate, and being willing to pay whatever dinner would reasonably cost, I thought I could get reasonable service. It turned out I was wrong.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!