“Lovely experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Ventana Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Big Sur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Californian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Restaurant at Ventana is situated 1200 feet above the rugged Big Sur coast with views of the Pacific Ocean. The culinary team is lead by Executive Chef Paul Corsentino, who uses only the freshest, organic ingredients to create simple cuisine with vibrant flavors. His menus are driven by his commitment to supporting the local farming community. Chef Corsentino's experience is brought to life in each daily menu he creates. Chef and his team are known for daring and diverse foods with inventive recipes both comforting and decadent, offering something for every palate. A locally inspired, sommelier selected wine list offers many options for food and wine pairings. Seasonal cocktails and California craft beers are available to enjoy in the cozy lounge area or outdoors next to the grand fireplace.
Clinton
“Lovely experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The food was delicious, and the atmosphere on the nicely landscaped patio was relaxing. Unfortunately the wonderful mountain-top ocean view we expected was blocked by fog. . . But the view of the nearby mountains almost made up for it. Our waiter was very attentive.We enjoyed the salmon cakes and the barbecued ribs.

Visited July 2014
Ron B, Manager at The Restaurant at Ventana Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for the kind feedback regarding your recent dining experience. It is great to hear the cuisine was to your liking. We hope to serve you again and will make sure you get a beautiful sunny day during your next visit!

Ron Boehm
Director of Bars and Restaurants

Carmel, California
“Excellent Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Enjoyed a leisurely drive up the coast and stopped off at Ventana for a late lunch. The menu looked different than what I remembered.

Pros:

Can not beat the location and the views out in The patio.

Deserts are hand crafted and delicious. The creme brûlée and the three small scoops of ice cream with berries and a touch of chocolate were sublime.

Smooth coffee drinks

Cons:

The pulled chicken sandwich was disappointing, it did not smell or taste good to me.

Service was a bit slow, but we were not in a hurry.

Overall, we enjoyed our time out on the patio and will consider going back for desert and drinks.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
California
“Another wonderful lunch at Ventana!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stopped in at Ventana again on another trip up north to visit U.C. Berkeley. We always try to take Hwy 1 at least one way so we can catch lunch at Ventana. We were seated at a table right on the beach side edge, with beautiful views out across the ocean. The day was beautiful and the fog had cleared just perfectly for us by the time we arrived. I tried something different this time, having the home made fettucine pasta. It was okay, it left me wishing I had just ordered my usual Big Sur burger. I guess I prefer a thicker fettucine noodle, these reminded me more of egg noodles. (We enjoyed Italian a few days later at another restaurant and they had the same thin noodles, so I'm guessing homemade noodles are meant to be thin like this though.) I ended up sharing my pasta with my daughter and ate half her burger. Our server seemed a bit inexperienced but was kind. Maybe he was new?

All in all, it was another wonderful lunch. I was noticing that several waitpersons seemed to know the guests around us, so they were either locals or people staying at the hotel. I found it nice how they interacted and seemed to use people's names, etc.

We will always return for the burger. A bit spendy, but always always enjoyable and worth it.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ron B, Manager at The Restaurant at Ventana Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
We are thrilled that you had such a great afternoon with us. The pasta dish is a long time recipe from our Chef. It is his interpretation of how noodles should be, but it sounds like he is not alone. "THE" Big Sur Burger as we like to call it has grown in popularity over the summer. It is a truly unique offering that consistently gets great reviews. While your server may not have been up to par, I hope they were friendly and accommodating. Our purpose is to treat people as if they are guests in our home to give them the best experience possible. We look forward to serving you again during your next trip up the coast!

Regards

Ron Boehm
Director of Bars and Restaurants
Atascadero, California
“Excellent meal in the Big Sur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The restaurant at Ventana has been a favorite for many years due to the beautiful location and the quality of the dining experience which is only enhanced by the wonderful staff. A recent dinner to celebrate an anniversary was very enjoyable, as always, and we will be returning soon.

• Visited June 2014
San Francisco, California
“Great food, good service, and nice views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had hoped to get into the Pine Inn but we had no reservations. They directed us to the Ventana and I can say we were very pleased. No waiting, although outside seating was closed due to an event - we had too much sun anyways. Food was great, wait staff was great. They appear to have a very good wine list (didn't try it myself). Would definitely recommend.

• Visited June 2014