“Very romantic and gay friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Californian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Long Beach, CA
“Very romantic and gay friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We loved our experience at deetjen's. The service was great! They seemed to be happy we were there. We brought our own wine and the server complimented us on our choice. I had the oysters on the half shell with seaweed salad and roe. My gf had the dungeness crab cakes...both were very yummy! If you twisted my arm and made me complain about something it would be that our steaks were slightly overlooked from what we asked for but they were very flavorful! The atmosphere was very cozy and there seemed to be couples there that were really in love. No one seemed to mind us (a lesbian couple)...actually all of big sur is like that :).

Eugene, Oregon
“Extraordinary food in an extraordinary setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This must rate as one of the memorable eating experiences in my memory... we camped in Big Sur with my daughter and her partner who brought us to Deetjen's one night... it was like finding a feast in a hobbit hole, with the low ceilings and quaint furnishings that blend Ming ceramics with Delft china. One table remained unoccupied, though it was situated in an appealing vantage by a fireplace - it transpired that a resident cat had selected one of the chairs for a nap and Management preferred to let it sleep undisturbed....
Wine flowed between and through courses, and all our senses were dazzled with the exquisite presentation, colors and flavors. All of us were/are vegetarians, and we made a point of trying and sharing all the vegetarian choices on that evening's menu. Magnifique!
I am delighted that Deetjen's is NOT in Boston where they have quite sufficient culinary resources... I look forward to the rewards for journeying down the CA coast that include some of the most magnificent scenery in north America and certainly one of the highlights in dining on the west coast!

• Visited October 2011
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“I Wish Deetjen's was in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Every time I visit CA and get to Big Sur, I look forward with great anticipation to the Deetgen's experience. Over the last 15 years, I have eaten here 4 times, and each time has been a delight on every level. This summer I took a friend of forty years for a birthday dinner. Every thing was superb. Surrounded by candlelight and flowers, the contrast of the cabin feel of the restaurant with the elegance of a chandelier overhead, created an inviting and relaxed ambiance. The food here is some of the best I've ever had. We started with a most wonderful lobster bisque, followed by the duck and a salmon dish which were paired with an excellent wine selection. Each was prepared to perfection and delivered by an attentive, but relaxed waiter. I felt like we could sit for hours and it would be o.k. - just like in Greece where you ask for the bill when you're ready to leave. I commend Deetgen's for maintaining a consistently outstanding dining experience for all these years. I only wish there was one where I live.

• Visited August 2012
Watsonville, California
“Bad location, great food!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We were there for Dinner on Saturday sept 1st and we had heard wrondeful things on the food and I think they fell short.
Our night started off by not finding the restaurant that easy ad there is not much parking space but once you find a place to park then you were lucky.
Te decor is rustic an bealive it is the original building for almost 100 years but it is like going to grandmas house with dishes on the wall and old fashion tables and decorations.
The sever rose was very nice. Try don't have much of wine and don't expect to order a cocktail because they don't have a bar, they only serve wine and beer.
If you like oysters they have them for three dollars each.
After we ordered a bottle of champagne with the oysters and some crab cakes.
Socond course comes out two perfectly cooked ribeye steaks with Swiss chard and French filet beens, cheery tomatoes and home made gaufrettes.
For dessert we had creme brûlée and bread pudding. Everything was outstanding and the food did not reflect the location, do don't hesitate to have dinner at deetjens.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambria
“Gourmet Comfort Atmosphere and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Cozy restaurant, to-die-for food. There's nothing we dislike about this place. This little tucked away gem is a Big Sur must.

Visited April 2012