“Phone manners!?!?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gorda Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Gorda Springs Resort
You added Gorda Springs Resort to your Saves list
Highway 1, Big Sur, CA   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
“Phone manners!?!?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

So far I still do not know whether or not we'll be staying at this place. First phone call was answered by a lady who was barely polite and told me to call back after 3pm since nobody was available to take a reservation or even tell me if there were any vacancy. Called back around 4pm, talked to a guy this time, who at least told there was a room available, but still nobody could make a reservation and that I needed to call back the next day after 10:30am. Today is the next day, 11:30am: got the same lady who told me to call back after 3pm etc.... When I remarked that this was my 3rd call, she told me quite unpleasantly that nobody was there, that yesterday's guy lied to me, and that she couldn't do anything for me anyway, there! And hung up on me. Oh I also left an e-mail yesterday afternoon that still hasn't been answered... There is no online reservation by the way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This review is based on a telephone conversation only:
I called to check room rates and availability. The woman who answered said "hello"....I wondered if I had dialed a personal phone number by mistake, because surely a business would say something like 'Gorda Springs Resort, how may I help you'. When it was determined I did have the hotel I asked about availability on a certain night. The woman did not know about accommodation availability and asked me to call back in two hours and ask for "Don".

It is amazing how powerful a 60 second phone conversation can make or break ones opinion of an establishment.

I don't wish to deter people from this establishment, only aid Gorda Springs Resort in common phone manners in order to better their service and reviews.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here as a group on a bike ride from SF to SLO. Highlights were: gorgeous views including whale watching, a delicious breakfast (hold the coffee) and our waitress Sarah. Price is a bit higher because of the location, which is oceanfront and relatively isolated within Big Sur.

I'd happily stay here again and enjoy a lovely breakfast before cruising down the California coast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Such a beautiful, relaxing place! I'm glad we found it and I'm glad I did not check TripAdvisor first or I might not have come. As we drove farther down from Carmel, we realized the nicest and most accessible beaches are down south of Limekiln in Pacific Valley. And this place has beautiful historic cabins with some of the nicest views along the coast. Our cabin was built in 1949, but another was Depression-era.

We loved this place because, unlike many other hotels along Big Sur, we had an expansive view of the ocean from our porch and from a gazebo out front. I don't know why this place gets so few stars, but I guess it may not be for everyone.

We stayed in the Redwood Cabin, which had a large conjoined living room, bedroom and kitchen (with large fridge, coffee maker, microwave, and utensils). It also had two porches (actually three, but one was smaller than the others)! This was a mid-sized cabin. We paid $200 for the night, but they had hotel rooms for $150. We thought it was worth it to spend the $50 more for the extra space, windows, and porches.

I highly recommend this place and suggest you get one of the cabins. You get a lot for what you're paying for in terms of space and a lovely setting. They might be a little colder though (they supply space heaters, but the cabins are separated from each other and don't have central heating). Other hotels and resorts along Big Sur cost a lot more, had no view, or were booked (the one hotel further north that did have a similarly awesome view was only a little pricier, but only had hotel rooms, and they were booked). Renting a cabin in Pfieffer State Park costs $150 and they have no view of the ocean.

You should note that the hotel is separated from the grid (they told us this when we called ahead), so they must generate their own electricity and generally can't get a connection to cell towers to supply wifi. If you have Verizon, there's a car turnout a mile north from which you can get some service. If you have AT&T, you may need to drive further south to the next big town. I'm not sure how other carriers stand. I understand the problem, but I also just love the peacefulness of not checking facebook all the time. We watched a mother whale and her calf pass by as we read books on our porch (we saw them with binoculars). We also sat out on the gazebo for a couple hours overlooking the coast.

By the way, the most accessible and beautiful beach in Big Sur is a few miles north of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WEST GROVE,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed 1 night on the way down the coast from Big Sur...It was a Godsent...An oasis...It was MLK weekend (Saturday) The weather was spectacular 78 degrees in January and there were No vacancies anywhere in Big Sur.... We came upon Gorda springs and low and behold there was a room available above the General store with a Beautiful ocean view... We watched the sunset and did not have to worry about driving along the windy ocean highway in the dark...
The room was clean but dated.. There was a water problem because they just got a new water system and were figuring out the kinks... There was a restaurant and gas station next door..both Pricey..but hey you are totally miles from anywhere.... The staff was awesome and also there are cabins on the hillside for rent too... The flower gardens were beautiful birds and hummingbirds everywhere...I have a feeling this place probably gets not that good of reviews..but under the circumstances I will not slam them....We would stay here again!!!!! The room has a gas fireplace and comfy bed...

Room Tip: every room has an ocean view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Karratha, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed there a night, drove down from san fran, were tired and it was starting to get dark, I thought it was really cute, it wasn't the cleanest, and it was old looking, but I liked that, just adds some character to the experience, after staying in really nice hotels it made a change, and romantic on the balcony at sunset with a bottle of red. It was expensive for what you got, but didn't bother us, we were having a great time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Plan ahead! We paid dearly for this basic, not particularly clean room with no amenities. The view was good, but there are certainly better ones along the highway. The food in the restaurant was awful, with unfriendly service to match. Tough, over sauced BBQ, soggy fries, appetizer creations that just didn't work. Our own fault for road tripping with no plans or area knowledge, don't let it happen to you!

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Gorda Springs Resort? Share your experiences!