“Lived up to its expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ripplewood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ripplewood Resort
You added Ripplewood Resort to your Saves list
47047 Hwy 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
california
“Lived up to its expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

I did a lot of research before deciding on a place to stay in Big Sur, and went with Ripplewood because it seemed like it was the best value for the price. The cabin was quaint, cozy, and very clean. We stayed in Cabin #5, and although we didn't hate it, we'd go with a cabin right on the river next time. Also Cabin #5 doesn't get much direct sunlight. We loved that everything was so convenient: cooking utensils & some dinnerware are already provided, grocery store & gas station are across the street, restaurants right next door, a new firewood bundle every night, etc.

Because I read in other reviews that the cabins were already stocked with cooking tools and bowls/dishes/etc., I didn't pack anything for the kitchen and found myself in need of a strainer and a wine bottle opener (don't forget to pack these!)

Altogether, we had an amazing time and would definitely stay here again!

p.s. We didn't care much for the hikes at Andrew Molera State Park, but would recommend checking out Pfeiffer State Beach.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Ripplewood is perfect for a quiet, no frills get away. Keep in mind these are cabins - this is not the Ritz. The cabins however, are clean, the beds are really comfy and the place has a very cozy feel to it. Our first night we were in Cabin 16 which is listed as a hillside cabin.For just two people it had alot of space - including an extra bedroom. Other reviews mention noise from the highway, but after 9 I didn't hear anything other than the woods. Our next night we staying in Cabin 4, down near the river - amazing! This was very cozy and modest and had a great deck with a really cute loveseat to sit relax on. We really enjoyed cooking on the fire and having some wine on the deck. It was very peaceful and romantic.
The general store has all the basics - however if you are a position to, I would bring my own groceries. A few other must haves - flashlight, games like cards or chess and if you like noise (other than birds) maybe a stereo or and I-pod. While in the area check out the restaurant Nepenthe - it's pricy but so worth it. 360 view of the Pacific and a killer wine list.
Most of the staff is really nice - some more than others. I called for some area information before we came and the person who answered the phone seemed really annoyed I was asking about hiking and fishing - maybe they were just busy or something. My only other issue is that the maintainence staff for some reason varnished the deck of our Cabin (4) when we were out, and I discovered the hard way. Not sure my jacket will ever be the same, but oh well. It was worth it for two days of peace and quiet!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Last week I stayed in Cabin 2 for one night. I am not much of a cabin person but upon arrival I thought it was pretty clean. When I woke up I was greeted by several huge spiders. It was also hard to get the temperature right with the heating system so I woke up several times during the night. Although my stay was basically fine, I would not have wanted to stay more than 1 night here.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed in cabin #1 and it was perfect. Although the cabin wasn't clean when we arrived at check-in time (they explained that the people before us checked out late), we went and had lunch at the amazing Nepenthe restaurant and when we came back the room was spotless. I agree with other reviews that the cabins, though rustic which I really like, are very very clean. The shampoo/conditioner/soap was nice and you get a ton of towels. We had 2 beds in the cabin, one in a separate bedroom and one in the living room. The living room bed was super cozy cause you fall asleep with the beautiful fire roaring. We spent a lot of time on the deck by the river, amazing, and also built fires in the fire pit outside, it was very quiet and picturesque, I would definitely stay here again. My one complaint is the staff at the shop/gas station were unfriendly, particularly the heavier woman working in the shop, they didn't do much to welcome you to the property or apologize when our cabin wasn't ready.

charlotte nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

My first impression of Ripplewood was "oh no, this place is a dump". But, after we checked into our cabin (#14) and starting cooking dinner in the kitchen the place began to grow on me. Remember, this is not the Ritz or a high end resort. These are old rustic cabins just like the ones you saw as a kid at summer camp.

The cabins are very old and rustic which scared me a first. However, I started to look in detail and realized that they were very clean. No dirt or trash anywhere. Considering their age, the cabins are well kept. The kitchen was perfect for my wife and I. We cooked most of our meals in the cabin and it was so nice and peaceful to have your own private area to kick back and enjoy a beer away from the crowds at the local tourist traps of the area.

My first choice would have been a river side cabin but they were full. Cabin 17 looked to be more secluded then our cabin and I would have also preffered that. We could hear and sea Route 1 from our cabin but the traffic really dies down at night and after sunset you barely even hear a car.

The locacation is right in the center of Big Sur with an short drive to all the good hikes and places to see. The people checking us in and out were a little too laid back at times but they were very nice. Overall a good value and a good place to stay.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We had cabin #3.

First, you should know that the price for the cabin is misleading... these are very very very rustic cabins, very simple. However, considering that a cabin at either Ventana or Post Ranch will run you over $600.00 a night, it puts things into perspective.

Our cabin was as clean as could be, and very accomodating. I can honestly say that I have never rented an expensive room that was as clean. Being a cabin, there are tons of nooks that dust and webs can hide, there was none of this in our cabin. I cannot stress enough how clean cabin #3 was, and this considering how dusty it is outside.

We had a little kitchen that had every amenity that you could want as an "outdoorsy" cook. I made a huge mistake and brought pots, pans, knives, spoons plates etc, and needed none of them. The little oven worked perfectly and the fridge held all of our food for three days, you could not ask for much more from a kitchen. Note, that on Ripplewoods layout of the cabin, there's a door that leads from the kitchen to the deck. This is no longer so, as the refridgerator was placed in front of the door.

This little cabin is right in front of the river, surrounded by trees and private as can be. We spent countless hours simply sitting on the deck, listening to the river go by while dinner was cooking. It was charming, peaceful, calming and pretty much the very best Big Sur experience I've ever had.

NOTE. The walls in the cabin are thin. Particularly the wall separating the kitchen and bathroom. If you are in any way squeamish about being heard from one room the next, keep that in mind. However, the charm of the cabin, and the beauty of the surroundings more than make up for it.

Den Bosch, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed in cabin #2 for one night on may 3rd and we enjoyed our stay there.
The cabin was bigger than expected, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom and kitchen small but nice and we had a nice sitting chair, a table with two kitchen chairs and a deck overlooking the river.

We had dinner at the Big Sur roadhouse that is next to the Ripplewood Resort and we loved the food there. We used the wifi internet that was only available around the shop/reception. The check in was easy and the shop had a nice variety of products.

The only drawback we came across was the big street light that was just outside our cabin. It shined right into our cabin and we couldn't keep it out with our very thing curtains. To me, this was pretty annoying because I really like to sleep without any lights surrounding me.

But all in all, we had a great stay and would definately recommend the ripplewood resort, just stay in another cabin if you don't want to be bothered by the light!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ripplewood Resort? Share your experiences!