“Just the basics...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ripplewood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ripplewood Resort
You added Ripplewood Resort to your Saves list
47047 Hwy 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
San Francisco, California
“Just the basics...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at the Ripplewood for a weekend getaway to explore Big Sur (California coastline). We knew that most of the hotels in the area are pricey (just look at the list) so we aimed for a basic, no frills place, and picked Ripplewood. Unbeknownst to us we picked the weekend it rained all the time, heavy rain with winds! We had already paid for the first night as part of the booking deposit and being new to the area were told there would be many floods and roads might be closed. We called the resort and they informed us they would honor a full refund if we decided not to risk driving up there but they were still open for business and had our cabin ready, a very nice gesture I may add. We however felt adventurous and drove there anyway. We arrived late in the afternoon and checked in, the lady at the front desk (which is also a general store) was nonchalant and handed me the key to our cabin, I asked about where to get a bite to eat and what she could recommend, she said "anywhere is fine". Ripplewood does have a small diner-style restaurant next to the general store/front desk but it is only open for breakfast & lunch...
We got to our cabin (which had a designated parking space), it was very clean and tidy and as the title suggests, just the basics; a room with a full-sized bed, table & couch. A clean bathroom with shower. We did have a fridge (very clean inside), a coffee maker (with all the stuff to make coffee/tea) and even a small balcony where you could sit outside. The bed was well made and clean, however it was extremely soft (we are used to hard mattresses). There was no TV in the room and the heater worked perfectly with the thermastat. We were very comfortable in our cabin. We had breakfast the next day at the Ripplewood restaurant and enjoyed the tasty omelettes they served up, the coffee was good also (breakfast was not included in the stay)...
Overall it was a very good experience staying at the Ripplewood, we have no compliants. It is a basic hotel with clean cabins to use for overnight stays as there is not much else to do there when it rains...

Room Tip: Each cabin is different so look at the photos on their website and pick the one right for you!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We broke up our journey between SF and Cambria with one night's stay in a cabin. It was perfectly fine for one night and enjoyed the sound of the nearby river/creek. Not sure I'd want to stay for several days but the cabin had everything we would want. Made a great change to impersonal hotels.

Service at the desk at store over the road where you collect keys could be friendlier. Bit brusque and weren't very forthcoming with information.

Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We really like rustic places so we booked here. This place is basic at best and overpriced for basic. We had no hot water. The place was cold so the fireplace at least helped. The highway runs right through the middle of this spot therefore not as quiet as we hoped. We phoned (since this is the only way you can book) and booked cabin 6 in August, we received a verbal confirmation number and the cost for our October stay. When we arrived, the cabin we had booked was not the one we received and the cost was $40 more. They asked for our email confirmation which we never received since they wrote down the wrong email address even though we spelled everything out. There was nothing they would do at the time and in emailing with the owners upon our return home, they offered us a discounted rate for our next visit. We live out of the country and will never return and all we wanted was the difference ($40) between the rate we booked and the rate they charged. This is likely equal to a discount for a future trip. Wasn't going to happen. They already had our money. We were even blamed for not following up on our email confirmation that we never received. Really!! Very disappointing. I'm sure there are better places to stay in Big Sur who understand customer service. This is not one of them. On the other hand, if you are in the area, go to Nepenthe for dinner - fabulous meal and great views.

Monterey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here with some friends on October 16, 2012. The weather in California that week was phenomenal, to say the least. There was an off-shore flow that pushed the marine layer well out in to the Pacific Ocean and warmed the normally chilly air. It was fantastic!
The management was kind enough to let us check in early, about 3 hours early!!! Very nice of them despite the claims of others here that customer service is lacking. It is not!
The cabin is set up with all necessary to live comfortably. The kitchen is stocked with glasses, plates, utensils, etc. There are outside pits fro fires and fireplaces inside too. Bring extra wood with you if you are going to cook outside or use the fire for heat inside.
Cabin 15 has one bedroom with a Queen bed in it and there is another Queen and Twin in the Main Room. This setup could accommodate 5 or 6 persons but would be cramped.
This resort is a great place to make a base camp for daily excursions in to Big Sur and all it has to offer. Check out some of the beaches in the area if you go, you owe it to yourself to see the natural beauty of the California Coastline. Bring a camera with you because your friends will not believe your description when you tell them how nice it is in California!

Room Tip: Cabins away from the highway. It is soooooo quiet at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Irvine, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I decided to drive up highway 1. One of our stops was in big sur so I looked up this cabin on trip advisor and yelp and decided to make a reservation. They took all of my credit card information and confirmed the transaction. I asked them to email me a receipt which they weren't able to do. So I called them back and made sure that my email in their system was correct, which it was. We finally left our trip and after hours of driving reached the destination. The lady told me that our reservation was canceled and that our room was given to another tenant. I was very dissapointed because they actually charged me a cancellation fee on top of canceling the reservation without my knowledge. We were pretty much left stranded to find our own place. I have never given a place a bad review but their customer service was appalling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stopped in Cabin 4 for 4 nights in October, not knowing quite what to expect.
It was great, no cell phone, no internet, no TV, just a nice quiet cabin by the river.

The cabin was basic but fine for what we needed, and it's a cabin in the woods, not a hotel suite after all.

Fire pit outside and log burning stove as well as a normal heater inside.

Location was good, not far off the main attractions in the area, parks, beaches, trails etc.

There are a few words of advice.
It's Big Sur, so everything seems quite expensive, eating out was good, plenty of choice, but shopping for groceries was pricey, cans of soup for around $4, so if you're on a budget, buy what you can carry and use down there food wise.

There isn't a laundry on site, but the camp site next door lets you use their laundry with no day fees, it was $2.00 for wash, and $1.25 for tumble dry if I remember, plus we had to buy a little bottle of liquid clothes detergent, so bear that in mind.

I would stop here again if I were driving Highway 1, just a little better informed of the prices, so I'd buy stuff in monterey if I were heading south.

Room Tip: I think the site is split in 2, with Highway 1 dividing them, if you want a quieter cabin, aim for t...
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location relative to Big Sur's sights is ideal. The location in the treed forest by the river is picturesque. The nights are quiet. The bed very comfortable and the cabin amenities basic but in good order and clean. It is a cabin in the woods. It is a little pricey for what you get but supply and demand dictates. If you want to be close to everything and sleep well, this is your place. We stayed in the cabin closest to the campground across the creek but were not bothered by any noise. If I returned to Big Sur, I would stay again at Ripplewood

Room Tip: Stay in a cabin on the river.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ripplewood Resort? Share your experiences!