“Epitome of peace and quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Sur Campground & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Big Sur Campground & Cabins
You added Big Sur Campground & Cabins to your Saves list
Route 1, Big Sur, CA   |
San Diego
“Epitome of peace and quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

We just arrived home from our trip along Big Sur. We were extremely pleased with the accommodations of the Big Sur Campground & Cabins. The location was perfect, rooms were clean, spacious and had all that was needed. Our room had a large bay window to sit and enjoy the view of the Big Sur River and forest. It was very peaceful here. There were fire pits, grills and several hiking trails near by. Also, a market and excellent restaurant sits right down the road. I rated the value 4/5 only because it can be a bit pricey but we felt we received a good deal. I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling in this area who wants to be close to nature.

Andrew C.
San Diego

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

My other half and I stayed there in a cabin with a living room + fire place for a couple of nights for $166 per night inclusive of tax. Basic amenities and a very quiet location which was what we wanted but the site is crowded. $166 a night seems pretty poor value and we don't know how this compares with other sites.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed here unexpectedly because Route 1 was closed because of the big fires and we could not make it to Limekiln State Park. They told us there was only one site left - and we were put in a site next to a dumpster and across from a cabin that had 3 big trucks parked about 10 feet from where I tent would be. It was the smallest site I have ever paid for, it was $40!!! We did not have much choice since none of the public campgounds were open so we stayed - before we sent up the tent we asked if there any way that there was a different site we cold stay in and she told us we could stay in the patch of trees by the entrance - not great but better than the micro site with the loud trucks. They say that they enforce a strick quiet time, but it was loud till 11 pm. The sites are small and there is no privacy - not something I would pay $40 for unless I was desperate....which we were.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

The cabins might be worth it...but the tent sites are the smallest and closest together that I have ever seen in my life. Their website says that you can have 5 people in each site. There is room for 2 people max. There is room for EXACTLY one vehicle and one tent and NO MORE. I went there with my boyfriend and another couple, planning to share one campsite. I ended up insisting that we be provided a second site for half the price since their website is so misleading. The campsites at Pfieffer BIg Sur are 4 times as big and half the cost. Stay there, where you won't be able to hear strangers having sex in the next campsite (about 15 feet from your tent...gross).

Also the showers overflowed several times during our 2 day stay. Bathrooms are tiny and dirty.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
danville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My famiy has been camping at The Big Sur Campground and Cabins for several years now and it's an annual trip that we all look forward to year after year. I must say, after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I'm really shocked and am actually wondering if people have this campground mixed up with another one...We reserve the same 2 sites and 2 cabins every year and couldn't be happier with the spacious sites, gorgeous location right on the river, pleasant service from the camp staff, clean bathrooms with free hot showers, and more. The cabins may not be luxurious, but they're also not the equivalent of trailers...they are clean and comfortable and are free-standing structures with decks, full kitchens, bathrooms, etc. We've truly had nothing but wonderful experiences at this campground and compared to many others that we've stayed at, this place is paradise!

We've also stayed at the campground right next door, The Riverside Campground, and would not recommend this place to others. The sites are lined up like a parking lot. We literally pulled into our site and laughed. It was either that, or have a ruined weekend. We ended up going for a walk and came across the Big Sur Campground and Cabins right next door. We've been staying there ever since...May 2009 will be our 4th consecutive year!

The kids love being able to play in the river. The campground has inner tube rentals (very inexpensive) and depending on the amount of water in the river, can float downstream for quite a ways. There's also a deeper swimming hole right in front of the campground. We all love the soft-serve ice cream offered in the evenings and the playground is an added bonus for the younger kids. The camp staff are always pleasant and helpful. We reserve for the next summer a year in advance. Even then, many of the tent sites are already full. If this campground was really as bad as some of the reviewers say, would the summer weekends really fill up a year in advance?

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We had the campground to ourselves since it was mid-week in November, but I hear it can be crowded in the high season. The cabin (I think we had #60) was absolutely perfect for the two of us! Very clean and cozy, with a gas fireplace inside and fire pit steps from the front porch. you're surrounded by redwoods which is a great feeling. The staff were all really friendly. It could not have been a better romantic getaway!

• Liked — Cozy feeling cabin in the woods
  • Disliked — You're still in a campground with other people in the area.....
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kochi, Kerala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Although it was a few years ago, this stay was a memorable one for my husbamd and me and our 2 friends with whom we camped. We set up our tent in the assigned space which was just about adequate. The big red woods was the best part that I like and the river that ran near the site where there were big fish and icy water to dip your feet in. There were rest rooms which were only passable in hygiene. I found it a bit crowded maybe beacuse it was July 4th and we had just tried our luck to see if we could get a spot and we did. We had a nice campfire going and roasted some chicken on the grill and left the next day after sleeping in the tent made for 4. Since I was 7 months pregnant, I was not all that comfy but I think we had a good time.

• Liked — Quiet surrounding
  • Disliked — Crowded
  • Stayed July 2003, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Big Sur Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!