Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon in a Fireside Lodge Queen.
- Nice room decoration, rustic but very modern and the bathroom had lovely underfloor heating and a large shower.
- Across the road from a nice restaurant, Big Sur Roadhouse, where we ate both nights. Rather pricey but as it was our honeymoon we didn't begrudge giving ourselves a treat! Book in advance for dinner as it definitely gets very busy.
- Refrigerator in room which is always useful. Sadly wasn't that cold but helpful if you want to keep something mildy chilled.
- Staff were...meh. A few times they just stared blankly at us and I wondered if they were finished talking to us or waiting for us to say something. Bit too chilled out in my opinion for the price of the accommodation!
- Whilst we slept well and there was no outside noise the soundproofing from other rooms was pretty poor and we ended up hearing conversations from next door which was annoying.
- Very overpriced for what you got. We paid around $550 for 2 nights and I really really don't think it was worth this kind of money. I totally appreciate Big Sur is expensive but this was pushing it a bit for what you got.
- There was no A/C and even at the beginning of April the room got pretty stuffy. There was a plug in fan but at this price I would have expected A/C or a ceiling fan at least. In the summer it would get SO hot!
- It was our honeymoon and we did make them aware beforehand however nothing special or extra was arranged. I don't expect to get special treatment because it's my honeymoon but to have it recognised in some way is always remembered and appreciated. Probably because there are so many weddings/honeymooners in Big Sur it's not such a big deal!
The choices are so limited and overpriced in Big Sur that I guess if you are going to spend the money you could do worse than Glen Oaks. Though be prepared not to be wowed as it is definitely average at best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Described as one of the most romantic places to stay, our adobe motor lodge was considered modern in 1957 and 50 years later Glen Oaks Big Sur has a fresh rustic-modern and Green sensibility. Our accommodations consist of 16 Adobe Motor Lodge rooms with cozy gas fireplaces and 10 Cottage/Cabin style rooms with kitchen/kitchenettes and most have access to the Big Sur River. All accommodations have free wireless internet and telephones with free local calls. We are located on Highway One in Big Sur Valley. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Glen Oaks Big Sur Hotel Big Sur
- Glen Oaks Hotel Big Sur
- Glen Oaks Resort Big Sur