“Cute Cabin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
Eureka, California
“Cute Cabin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Lovely place, cozy, clean. If you are looking for privacy, do not book the River View or Forest View cabins as they are attached and you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on next door. We also needed to have night maintenance come out to check on a scratching noise that was happening every night. It sounded to us like an animal under the cabin, which can be understood staying in the woods. Maintenance assured us however that it was the heating system making that awful noise that was disturbing our sleep every night for all 3 nights of our stay. Maybe then the heating system needs an update, because it was beyond disruptive in the lovely little cabin. The front desk is not available after 9, so you are on your own until 8AM the next morning if issues do arise. We had contacted the office months ahead of time to let them know we would be celebrating an elopement. There was no effort or acknowledgment made of this at all, so they are not the warmest, or excited to share in the purpose of your stay; if you are looking for a warm, friendly greeting, do not expect it here. Overall, it is cute, quaint and we enjoyed the clean cabin, but the "noises" and non-personal feel did put a large damper on our stay.

Room Tip: Get a single standing cabin, book early.

720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We picked Glen Oaks based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor, and what a good choice it was. The room was spotlessly clean and exceptionally inviting/comfortable. Loved the heated bathroom floor! And the mix between rustic and mid-century modern furniture was striking. We enjoyed a delicious dinner at The Roadhouse, The Glen Oaks' restaurant, that was delicious. (Never had a kale Caesar salad before, but loved it!) Great place to stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Del Mar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in one of the motor lodge rooms (#3) October 23rd & 24th. Cool room decor, nice patio out front. Great heated bathroom floors, warming gas fireplace in the room. No TV (good!). Clean, comfortable, quiet. Neat fire pit near by. The grounds are very nice, settled into a wooded hillside. Having the Roadhouse across the street for a restaurant is great. Everything has that Big Sur/Northern California/Nestled in the Redwoods vibe.

Recommend taking a walk down to the cabins along the Big Sur River. We've booked for next year already!

Room Tip: Motor Lodge rooms have somewhat overgrown foliage screening them from the parking lot. Makes for goo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Seriously, I can't wax poetic enough about this place. My husband and I love Big Sur; got married 5 years ago at Post Ranch Inn (which sadly is a little out of our price range for non-wedding related events), and Deetjens was all full up, so I decided to try out Glen Oaks for the first time. And can I say; WOW!! I will most definitely be returning here, and recommending it to all my friends passing through Big Sur. Like a mid-century modern beauty! I feel like we were stepping into a Sunset Magazine photo spread, seriously.

We booked the Motor Lodge Queen, wanted to give it a rave review, since when I was booking, i noticed most of the reviews here are for the cabins. Loved it, beautiful bathroom and bedroom, totally enjoyed the lack of TV/ etc too. Played Jenga, relaxed by the fire, and drank some of the wine that is offered in the room. Perfect 5 year anniversary trip! Total ease in booking the room and checking in late as well.

Grabbed breakfast across the street at the Road House, which was delicious. Coffee is comp for hotel guests there too!

Directions! When approaching from the south (since there's no exact address, which is slightly confusing), you go past the main drag (past Nepenthe, past Big Sur Bakery, past Fernwood, and past Big Sur Station), and it'll be on your right. You see the RoadHouse on your left before seeing Glen Oaks on your right (as it's on a bend).

Room Tip: We were totally happy with room 14, Queen Motor Lodge. Beautiful fireplace, cute little backyard, tu...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Words really cannot express how much I enjoyed my stay at the Glen Oaks in Big Sur. Set among the redwoods in one of the most beautiful places on earth this modern hotel offers simple yet elegant rooms. Comfy bed, large shower with awesome organic bath products, your own patio in front of the room, AND you can heat the bathroom floor!!!! I love that the rooms do not have televisions, but instead offer games, yoga mats, and a small canvas with a brush. Across the street is their restaurant the Big Sur Roadhouse which offers yummy food served by the friendliest staff in all of Big Sur. Next to the hotel is a small general store for snacks, supplies, and souvenirs and also a gas station. This hotel deserves 15 stars... I will be staying here every time I visit Big Sur!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I just tried to book a room as I am attending a wedding next year and they would not take a reservation and not because the room is booked. They asked if I was coming for an event and I told them I was coming for a wedding and at that time they wanted to know if I was coming with a group and I am not (The small wedding is being held at another location…not at this hotel). Once I mentioned I was coming for a wedding I was then told they could place me on a waiting list and if no groups came in they would call me at the first of the year so I could book a room. So, the room I requested is not booked but I can't reserve it because they are holding out for a better offer? I saw a great article in Sunset Magazine and was excited to try this place out. They really should post their "rules" on their website or just tell me the room is booked.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at Glen Oaks Big Sur. We were headed southbound along Hwy 1 from San Francisco towards LA. We stayed in the Big Sur Cabin. It was very nice. At the end of the drive into the property. The cabin was very spacious. A Living Room with Fireplace. Kitchen with a eating area. No Stove, however Microwave and Refrigerator. Plates, glasses and cutlery. A separate Bedroom which leads out to a patio where there are two relaxing chairs and two Bath tubs. Outdoor fire pits are found at the front of the Cabin facing the river or the patio.

The surrounding area was very peaceful. Very beautiful. The river was cold and refreshing. They actually have lounge chairs along the river bank.

For dinner we went to the Big Sur Roadhouse. I'm glad we made a reservation. The place was busy. No reservations meant at least a 30 min. wait. Dinner was excellent and the service equally good.

The following day after check out we went down the road to the Big Sur Bakery and bought all sorts of pastries and muffins. Fantastic for our drive south.

Overall, it was an excellent first stat at Big Sur and especially Glen Oaks Big Sur. Certainly wished we had at least another day simply to relax and absorb the beauty of the area.

Room Tip: Big Sur Cabin was very affordable and definitely private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!