“Luxury in the Redwoods” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Save Saved
You added Glen Oaks Big Sur to your Saves list
Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
SF
“Luxury in the Redwoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Splurge on a cabin if you can. Great location, wonderful on-site restaurant. Excellent place to stay if you love to hike as it is nearby all the Parks. We had a lovely porch and it was nice to just sit outside. You really are in the middle of the Redwood Forest with giant trees all around. The kitchen is small, but you can certainly have breakfast if you bring provisions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Portola Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had the occasion to attend an upscale party in Big Sur but did not want to spend $800 + a night for a place that met our needs. After searching, I found this magical hotel that was tastefully done, had an indoor/outdoor fireplace, lovely room and great spa like bathroom.
Glen Oaks is close to many places in Big Sur and worked very well. The staff was helpful and wanted input from us when we left. My only criticism is that there was no coffee. You had to dash across the highway for a cup of Joe. The highway was somewhat quiet in the early hours of the morning - but none the less somewhat inconvenient. In discussion with the general manager, they appear to want to address the concern. We would stay there again in a New York minute

Room Tip: Try Room #4
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I can't say enough about how much we loved Glen Oaks. We snagged a very well-priced room in the Motor Lodge (#2) and couldn't have been happier -- when I say magical, I mean it. Well-appointed furnishings, super staff, unbelievably beautiful surroundings. Bed was cozy and comfortable, shower was luxurious. Brita pitcher in the fridge. Great shampoo and conditioner provided in eco-friendly dispensers. We had dinner both nights (by choice) at the Big Sur Roadhouse across the street, which also provides free coffee in the morning. Food was fantastic and the atmosphere was enchanting. Next time we have an opportunity to visit Big Sur, we will definitely stay at Glen Oaks.

Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Staying at Glen Oaks was through desperation rather than choice! We'd stupidly not booked our accommodation because we weren't sure how far up the PCH we'd be able to drive in one day.... The room at Glen Oaks was the last available room in the entire Big Sur!

Saying that, the lady behind the desk was very helpful and not pushy at all, giving us information for other places if we wanted to carry on driving instead. The room was quite spacious and clean, the bathroom was enormous too. There was no air con, so we slept with the window open, but I did feel a bit exposed! It was also quite noisy, from traffic and other guests.

I probably would stay there again if the price wasn't so high!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. The location could not have been better--only a few minutes to everything we wanted to do (30 min maximum). We stayed in the fireside room #4 and it was very comfortable. We sat outside every night by the fire and played board games (included with the room). We will always stay here when visiting Big Sur! The Roadhouse had amazing food too.

Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Glen Oaks last week. We had a lovely room ( #12) and enjoyed the privacy that this corner room afforded via the enclosed patio. The room was well appointed for a motor lodge: spacious and with all the necessity amenities as well as a totally renovated bath. Excellent location and great value. We also enjoyed the fact that while the other side of the mountain was shrouded in fog - the area where the motor lodge is located was beautiful and sunny each day. I would definitely return!

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Glen Oaks was not our first, or second choice of lodging in Big Sur (the others were all sold out months in advance). Having said that, I am glad we came.
Glen Oaks is a motorlodge that was renovated into a smart, fresh, cute, well located inn along PCH right smacked in Big Sur. It is about 15 mintutes away from Pfeiffer Beach to the south, and 30 minutes from Carmel in the north. It is not fancy, but a well done renovation gave it a great bathroom (shower only), a little fire pit for roasting marshmallows (tip- buy your own supplies up the road), and a small but comfortable room. Note there is no AC, or cell phone connection, for those expecting a real hotel. They have a restaurant across the street which we did not try. But 5 minutes drive south takes you to Big Sur Bakery which is fantastic for all meals. I think the lodge is perfect for young couples with a hip vibe who do not need a view.
Importantly, the reason why I want to review this place is my wonderful experience with their staff. While packing and unpacking for four, I had forgotten an important package of my jewelry which I had locked up in the safe. Marlen and Jeanne, the guest service supervisor, called me within the hour that I left. Unfortunately, with very sporadic internet connection along PCH, I did not get their message until we were too far away. We continued to me in touch via email and phone and they mailed me my things in the next outgoing UPS pick up. I did not expect such professional and caring service from most hotels around the world.
So thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We could not have asked for better people.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for the rooms further from the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!