“Wonderfully romantic, rustic and a place to recharge!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
You added Glen Oaks Big Sur to your Saves list
Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Playa del Rey
“Wonderfully romantic, rustic and a place to recharge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Like others, this is the perfect place to stay when passing through Big Sur. Our only regret is that we didn't book Glen Oaks for a week. How could you not enjoy the peace and quiet (except for the sound of the nearby river) of two, private outdoor soaking tubs around a fire while watching the stars and roasting S'Mores (the supplies were the best $15 mini-bar purchase I've made!) in-between. Truly bliss - I can see why Conde Nast rated this one of the top-ten most romantic places to stay. Staff was super helpful

Room Tip: arrive during the daytime if at all possible - once dark, you might have a bit of trouble finding yo...
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I spent the last week driving down the coast of CA and spent a night in Big Sur at Glen Oaks. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the fire pit was a huge hit with our young children. The rooms were spacious, clean, and we had a private courtyard which provided a great place for adults to spend time while the kids slept in the room. We weren't interested in truly camping with such young children, but wanted a "camping feel". Glen Oaks was the perfect "rustic chic" we were looking for! I highly recommend Glen Oaks to anyone travelling through Big Sur!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed in the Big Sur cabin and it was the perfect combination of a well designed rustic, contemporary and charming spot. We were only there for one night but wished we could have stayed longer. We had 2 outdoor fire pits - one in the front and the best was the private backyard with fire pit and 2 soaking tubs off the bedroom. We were able to see and hear the water from the cabin and were treated to the sight of wild turkeys in the monring. I would definetely go back and also advise others to stay there. Also, the staff was laid back and friendly!

Room Tip: The big Sur cabin was pricey but worth the splurge - very private.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I just spent our first anniversary driving the PCH from Napa to Oceanside. We spent our 1st anniversary at Glen Oaks. We stayed at the little cabin #8 with a bunch of redwoods towering over us. The setting is incredibly peaceful and its like camping with comfort. Everyone at Glen Oaks is friendly and helpful and we loved staying there.

I wanted to have some flowers in our cabin as a surprise for my wife. Heather at Glen Oaks recommended a local florist. I tried a few times to reach the florist and didn't get a reply. I emailed Glen Oaks again asking for advise. Heather saw the email the morning of our arrival. She called me and said she could help. I expected that she would call the florist for me. Instead, she told me that she got off at 3pm, she would go pick flowers herself, and have an arrangement waiting in our room. She made an arrangement that any professional would have been proud of. I will never forget the incredibly unexpected gesture of kindness and we will be Glen Oaks fans for life. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We wanted to stay someplace nice in Big Sur without spending a fortune and thanks to TripAdvisor we nailed it. We’re picky about where we stay and we loved our room (#8) especially the private patio under the trees where we saw a beautiful Acorn Woodpecker and so many Stellar’s Jays and humming birds. Another great thing about this hotel is that it’s right next door to the Ripplewood restaurant where we had a terrific breakfast in their outdoor patio.

We stayed at the hotel but there are also cabins owned by Glen Oaks just down the road and we drove over there to check it out for next time. The cabins are in a redwood forest which backs into a river and it was absolutely beautiful back there, a tree huggers dream!

The only bad thing about our wonderful room was the lighting at the bathroom mirror which was so horrible that I almost couldn’t shave my face. Without a doubt, the worst bathroom mirror lighting at any hotel ever! This is what happens when you chose style or substance.

Finally, be prepared for no television. We knew there would be no TV so we planned something else for that evening to occupy our time :)

Room Tip: Make sure you grab one (or two) of the black ceramic Glen Oaks coffee cups in the office above the c...
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked a room for three nights after perusing a LOT of reviews on Yelp, TripAdvisor, the New York Times, and Conde Nast Traveler. We didn't want anything rustic, nor anything over-the-top luxurious. The reviews we went by didn't lie. Glen Oaks is a wonderful place. We took a room in the Adobe Lodge (the Fireside Queen), which is probably the least expensive of their offerings. It was perfect for what we needed: a place to sleep well at night, to rest in briefly during the day. The room had everything we needed and nothing that we didn't need--we didn't WANT a TV, we appreciated the WiFi. We didn't WANT a coffee maker, we appreciated the hair dryer. We loved all the thoughtful details: the Brita pitcher in the small compact fridge, the Pendleton wool blanket, the nonsulfate organic shampoo, the eco-friendly furnishings and finishes, and the tasteful furniture like the bamboo magazine stand. I even researched the interiors architect when we got home because he did a tremendously fabulous job. The landscaping design is beautiful. And the service was competent and friendly. Oh, and it was really, really clean. (I was impressed that the housekeeping wagons all sported Miele canister vacuum cleaners!) We plan to return, definitely. Next time, we may opt for one of the standalone cabins with a kitchen, which we assume will be a bit quieter. (The only "noise" we had to deal with were the cars zipping up and down Hwy. 1, which died down to almost nothing once it had gotten dark.) So: no complaints, only really great things to say.... (P.S. I have a hotel/moted fetish.)

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The small hotel is nestled in redwoods, and the room my husband and I stayed is small but very clean and cosy. It was very well equipped with hardware and complimentary wifi. I was also surprised to find that there was even floor heating in the bathroom, which could be very helpful in cold winter, and also comfortable for the time I was there so I could do without slippers.
The reception is friendly and helpful, who knew the area well and booked for us a nice local restaurant for dinner
The hotel is located right on the Highway No 1, and is easy to find. It's also close to Pfeiffer State Park, only about 5 minute drive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!