“Perfect "Babymoon" Spot” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC
“Perfect "Babymoon" Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I traveled from DC to the Post Ranch for a quick pre-baby vacation and could not have had a better experience. We took advantage of the three-day "Romance at the Ranch" package, which includes 3 nights, breakfast (though that's included for everyone), 2 dinners at Sierra Mar, an in-room couples massage and various little touches like a bottle of champagne and sparkling cider in the room (in additional to all the other snacks in the room). There are different types of rooms available for different price levels (e.g. the ocean and pacific houses have water views and nice terraces and some of them have out door private hot tubs, etc) but we chose a Tree House because it sounded cool and was a little less expensive. It was an amazing choice. We were there in February and it was pretty chilly and rained the whole time, but being up in the trees with our fire roaring was so romantic that we didn't care at all. In fact, it made the trip even more perfect and memorable.

I won't go into all the details of what makes this place so special, but it really is another world. The drive up highway 1 to get there is amazing and a vacation in and of itself, the property is secluded and beautiful and so peaceful. The restauant has amazing breakfasts with an incredible view -- and the dinners there were so special and creative. The surrounding area is also just incredibly cool -- the Pfiffer State Park is a fun hike and we had great lunches at nearby Nepenthe. In 2 hours you are at the Hearst Castle, which is also a fun day trip if you want to enjoy the scenic drive! But the star here is really the accomodations. Our Tree House was like a little sanctuary with every luxury we could want. One night instead of going out for dinner we just sat by the fire, ordered room service and read because we couldn't bear to leave our cozy little house.

This was the ultimate vacation for adults celebrating the end of childlessness becasue it was sheer luxury and relaxation -- and it would be an incredible honeymoon spot or just a getaway vacation. It really was wonderfully romantic and I can't think of a more perfect spot for couples looking to get away.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We have been traveling around the world for the last 10 months and without a doubt this has been the best hotel we stayed in and we stayed in some beautiful places. We loved the Post Ranch Inn. The service is impeccable. The location is divine. The breakfast and restaurant were fantastic. We enjoyed the hike on the premises even though it was raining (make sure to ask them to prepare sandwiches for the hike, they are divine). This hotel left an everlasting memory. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Woodland Hill, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I have traveled to 5 of the 7 continents of this beautiful world of ours. I have seend 23 countries and seen over 125 cities but I have never experienced a day like I did this past weekend at the Post Ranch Inn.

My friend and I had decided to drive down the coast from Monterey to Big Sur. We did not have a place to stay in Big Sur but decided to just drive there & see if we could find a place.

Luckily, we ran into the Post Ranch Inn. From the moment we walked into registration, all we could say to each other was WOW! The service is impeccable. For example, after going to the pool, I realized I had left my sweater there. I called the front desk & within a few minutes, my sweater was back in my room. The food was phenominal but what made the place was the serenity of the mountains mixed with the unbelievable view of the ocean. There are actual spots that you can stand and look to the ocean & feel that you are in Santorini, Greece & then turn to the right & actually see redwoods & escape to being in Yosemite.

I can only describe the total relaxation that came over me in that way by the same word; WOW!!!

I spent a few hours reading in the library with amazing music and peace. This place is not cheap but I must say that they earn every penny. The only thing I would change (I feel picky) would be their heating system as it is a bit loud when trying to sleep at night. Besides that, the fireplace in the room is so romantic.

My friend and I cannot wait to go back. I hope you try it out also.

Rodney

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

The Post Ranch inn may possibly be the best luxury hotel sitting on the most beautiful spot on Earth. Yes, it is quite pricey, but worth every penny. From the moment you arrive you will be blown away. From the Lexus Hybrid SUVs instead of golf carts to watching the clouds roll in over the ocean below you, you will never forget this place. Also, the best meal I've ever eaten was at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

in having spent two nights in the Pacific Suite I thought I would add some thoughts. This small resort truly is a uniqeeeee property. i say this as a local (40 minute drive) which should add even more sincerity considering i go there often for dinner and explore extensively by means of hiking. each time i am there..it only impresses me more. they truly added ( in their architecture and respecting the land) to the serenity of Big Sur...well done in all aspects.

I normally don't add comments in these type of formats,however, I fully want many to not only visit the surrounding area (Monterey Peninsula) but also Big Sur and its wonders.

We made a reservation for the Pacific Suite 1st night and cliff house the second night. the cost for the pacific was around $2000/night whereas the Cliff house around 2300/night. I would strongly encourage people to check online for their packages and/or promotions since there can be some discounts and/or additional services included. I did ask about "local discounts" but none exist,however, I would have enjoyed hearing about packages or other promotions but they like all businesses are in the business to generate revenue so again, it is best to check online to make sure what is being offered ASSUMING it is available. The reservation went very well and very professional as expected.

upon arriving, we were greeted by a very nice staff...lady (short blond hair) and her male co-worker...very professional with offering us drinks,etc. Well done and professional. The driver did an excellent job in loading our luggage and setting it up in the room.

The Pacific Suite was beautiful and very private and the views begin with a gentle downslope of meadows and trees before dropping off into the vastness of the pacific ocean. STUNNING!!! The unit itself along with certain other higher end units have a custom made stainless steel hot tubs on the balconies and this is in addition to the huge soaking tub within the unit. All aspects of the unit were clean and well maintained.

We choose these type of units since we enjoy our privacy and enjoy ordering room service to take advantage of the place and its incredible views. The ordering staff was very professional and the delivery guys were excellent in their presentation. another great aspect is their well stocked free non-alcohol drinks/snakes. I do suggest others take advantage of the Sierra Mar Rest. since the views are also beautiful and the four course dinners can be layered out more professionally,however, we have had lunch there many times so for us..room service is a better option. Food was very good and the pricing match that expectation.

The Maintenance Staff was excellent in resolving a minor A/C issue and the cleaning staff were at your call within a minute. However, as noted in previous comments, we did have broken glass in the crevices on the balcony but they immediately vacuumed the glass particles up upon our request. They obviously do a great job in keeping these places clean and practically new considering the ocean breezes and all the challenges that exist in such beautiful areas like Big Sur.

Upon moving into the Cliff house which is supposedly a step up at least in price from the Pacific Suite, we found the interior beautiful and perfectly maintained BUT, we were shocked to see that the eaters in the Sierra Mar Rest. could at an angle look right into the portion of the balcony that held the huge outdoor private hot tub..this was a NO NO to me immediately so I stayed in the Pacific which offered more privacy. Being the Cliff house units are newer..maybe their capital cost are higher so this is reflective in their pricing. I am sure the GM Mr. Priano will resolve this issue by placing some native tree in the area to ensure a private setting involving the hot tub. By doing so, it will not at all impede on the views of the ocean. but only add privacy for these high end units. So, we finish off our stay in the Pacific Scenic Suite and LOVED IT.

The Spa services we enjoyed were done by two kind and professional ladies...no complaints. The transportation drivers were very professional and always there to help in any way.

I do feel that our expectations in spending nearly 5k for two nights is HIGH so this should help many of you see that this place is quite special. I will state that upon reviewing their online promotions, nearly all budgets can be accommodated and you really get some special deals with the lower category of rooms (butterfly,treehouse,etc.) since the guest only public pools have incredible views and are maintained beautiful with all that is needed. The higher end units have those private outdoor hot tubs so the other guest public pools are icing on the cake..we prefer privacy over public gathering places.

We travel worldwide and enjoy some beautiful hotels/resorts so it is a beautiful charm to have this in our own backyard. Also, I am in no way favoring local over distant locations..in fact, the opposite considering we can visit these places daily so the newness can wear off but this was not the case with this resort. I could suggest a few pointers to Mr Priano upon our next visits which we will do often. The layout of the property while incorporating the bldgs and its design with Nature was beautifully done and the wildlife adds to this.

There is ONE area that must be addressed and change immediately..upon checkout....DO NOT insult us with this daily 4 dollar charge for some Foundation...in our traveling around the World...I may offer you a better way of handling this....first, allow the customer to check a box IF they wish to do this and place a small sheet of paper in the rooms explaining what this Foundation is. DO NOT add this to our BILL when we check out and not even offer an explanation of the charge....in spending 5K for two nights..i am not speaking in terms of the amount but sneaking it into our bill. Have a box to check upon check in and/or check out IF we wish to pay this. I look forward to your suggestion on how this will be change and if you feel the guests prefer it this way..well, I will be one that will not be a return guest. I am starting to see a trend where org. are pressuring businesses to find ways to feed their causes some of which might be well deserved but please. Four Seasons does it the way I am suggesting in the FEW properties they might do this in Europe,however, I do suggest Mr. Priano you make this process more professional and proper. I should have demanded it be removed but I was in a hurry to get back home.

Everyone..try out this property with the packages that fit your budget..it really is a unique and beautiful property.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your very thoughtful comments. I appreciate the time, attention and detail you expressed regarding your recent stay at Post Ranch Inn. Our entire family of employees was honored to read your compliments about the property, staff and facilities; from the restaurant, spa, housekeeping and maintenance to guest services, reservations and management I want to thank you for the kind words.
I understand your concern about our approach regarding The Goodnight Foundation and I am sorry you felt offended at check out. Upon reading your review, I immediately deducted this donation from your folio and please accept our sincere apology. However, I wanted to clarify a couple of things. First, we have, like you described, a white card which is both placed in your key folder given to you by the bellman and check-in, in addition to the same white card placed in each room, on the desk in the leather compendium. Aside from explaining the purpose of The Goodnight Foundation, the white card also states, “Thank you for your participation. If you would prefer not to contribute, please let us know at check-out.” This donation is completely optional for our guests and we are upfront about this and are also happy to remove this charge if the guest wishes to not participate.
I also wanted to let you know, we just released a special locals package which includes a complimentary dinner for two at Sierra Mar with a one night stay. Our reservations office would be happy to go over the details with you if you wish to call and inquire. From everyone here at Post Ranch we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Be Well,
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

It is always hard to part with several hundred dollars (or even over $1K) for one night at a hotel. But the Post Ranch is actually worth it. I've been visiting for years (whenever I have the time and money to spare... which isn't often) and every time it exceeds expectations on almost every level. Rooms are simple, tasteful, environmentally sensitive and elegant at the same time. The service once you get to the hotel is attentive, yet not cloying. For example, when we arrived at the gate, by the time we got to reception, all my paperwork was waiting for me to check in because the gate had called up. The reception people offered us champagne and drinks and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The property is absolutely exquisite, relaxing, and forces a person to slow down and look at the ocean, soak in the warm cliffside infinity pools, inhale the fresh air... breakfast is wonderful and Sierra Mar is a beautiful restaurant.

Here are the minor hiccups:

1) When I called to make the reservation, the first reservationist I spoke with was totally rude. She couldn't find my name in her computer and acted like I was lying about having been there before, despite the fact that I had clear knowledge of the property and many of the rooms which I've stayed in. She literally asked if I was sure I had been there before. Needless to say, I didn't make the reservation through her, and instead, called the next day and spoke with a lovely woman who found me in the computer and couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant.

2) The other hiccup was dinner at Sierra Mar. The food was delicious, but we had special ordered for a birthday dinner and were reassured we'd have a very special custom menu prepared for us. Yet when we got there, they asked us to just order off the menu. At the end of the day, they accommodated us and even gave us a few extra tasty dishes, and we left happy and satisfied. I only mention it because it was a hiccup that created some stress where none was needed.

Lastly, I was surprised that a hotel with such a profound attention to the environment would allow its restaurant to serve fois gras. It is the most inhumane, cruel type of meat and there is nothing eco-friendly about it. I get that high end foodie restaurants like to use fois gras, but it is just incongruous with the rest of the environmental commitment of the hotel.

And the hardest thing about the Post Ranch Inn is leaving. I practically needed therapy when we were checking out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

My girlfriend took me here for my birthday and it was an incredible experience. It is a luxury hotel to be sure and did not disappoint when it came to service and amenities, as any hotel in this price range should. What you're paying for though is its location on the top of a coastal ridge in Big Sur, which is unlike any other place in the world. It is one of the most beautiful stretches of coast in the world, and I would imagine there aren't any other hotels with rooms that face westward overlooking an ocean so you can watch the sun set atop a 1200 ft ridge that plummets steeply to the water and which is shaded by giant redwoods. The trees alone make it unique. The architecture is beautiful and understated and integrated into the natural surroundings. The property is big enough to allow for short hikes without leaving, but there is hiking and natural beauty everywhere down there, and the hotel will give you a Lexus convertible to drive to the trail head, or anywhere you want. The topography and isolation of the region keeps its location pretty much free from light pollution, so if star gazing is your thing you can't do much better, especially considering they have heated infinity pools that are open all night. Shooting stars became not worth counting anymore after a while. The restaurant is excellent, if pricey, and does an exemplary job showcasing the incredible food of California (though the delicious oysters they served were strangely from the east coast). Oh, and the bread is amazing. So are the servers and staff in general. It is really a unique incredible place and we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!