“The most beautiful place I have ever seen!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Greenwich, CT
“The most beautiful place I have ever seen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

This was my second time at the hotel and it's just as beautiful as i remember! i traveled with my parents and they stayed in the upper coast house room while i was in lower coast house room (same building). The room was small but very cozy. I would suggest you stay in the upper rooms because you can hear everything that is happening on top of you! i didn't mind because my parents were there and we were on the same schedule. The views from the rooms are very beautiful, ocean is right at the botoom of your feet! There is no TV in your rooms, but you get a music system. Bring lots of CDs though! The snacks in the fridge are complimentary as well as red and white bottles of wine. You also get a bucket for recycling (a big plus for me!)

The hotel has some construction going on right now (they are building new rooms), so you can hear it a little bit during the day. Also, their restaurant Sierra Mar is getting renovated and it's temporary relocated by the pool. It is a pretty far walk, but the hotel staff can you drive you there in their Lexus hybrids! Breakfast is complimentary and is served in the restaurant. It is the best buffet breakfast I have ever had! They have so much stuff there, including different egg dishes, pastries, their great tasting jams, bacon/ham, home made granola (very tasty!) and lots of fruits! We also had dinner at the restaurant and food was great. Also, you can order in dinner the regular menu at the restaurant. You just have to wait for the menu to be printed each night (usually at 5:30).

The pool is right by the temporary restaurant and it's very big. It wasn't crowded at all. There are some nice trails around the property as well and there are bottles of water everywhere! There is a small basking pool by the rooms if you don't feel like walking to the regular one. However, it was full every time i tried to go there.

There is one minus and that is no internet service in the room. There is only one computer at their library and you have to wait if somebody is using it. There is also wireless internet in the library and at the reception so you have a laptop, you can access internet that way.

I also had a facial and a massage in their spa, which was great! They can also do different treatments in your room since spa is pretty small.

My mom and I also reserved a private 2 hour guided hike through the spa. Sue, a Big Sur resident, took us to Preiffer big sur state park. We had a wonderful hike with her, not worrying about getting lost! Sue told us very interesting stories about life in Big Sur and its politics! We also went to Julia Pfeiffer park another day and did a very easy walk to the falls. I would suggest you go when it's not too foggy cause you can't see the falls very clearly.

We also went to Hawthorne gallery and Coastal gallery. They had tons of beautiful stuff by local artists. Also, there are beautiful views from Napenthe which is right across the street from Hawthorne gallery. They also have a nice gift shop there.

Overall, the hotel and the surrounding area cannot be beat!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

From the moment my husband and I arrived til the day we left, we were transported to another time and place. We had rented one of the tree houses, on one side a view of the mountains and on the other side, a view of the Pacific. The house was the kind of place one doesn't want to venture out of. A small fridge filled with a variety of goodies including wine, kettle chips, nuts, fresh local goat cheese, cookies and half and half for your morning coffee. The freshly ground organic coffee was delicious and I looked forward to sitting on my outside balcony each morning as the sun came up. There was always a bowl of fresh fruit and as things were eaten, they were replaced by the excellent staff at the Inn. No extra charge, by the way.

Although the Sierra Mar restaurant was in its final stages of rennovation and therefore not open, the food in their temporary restaurant was fantastic. Breakfast was delightful. And dinner a gastronomic experience.

However, the most wonderful thing about our stay was the beauty and tranquility that surrounded us wherever we wandered on the Inn's property. Even the hybrid SUV's that would pick us up if we were too lazy to walk down to the restaurant seemed not to make any noise.

I talked to most of the people who worked at the Inn and discovered that they have all been there for many years and were still happy and dedicated to the comfort of the Inn's guests. The service was supurb.

My husband and I have travelled to many places around the world and stay in expensive, high-end places. But just because something costs a lot doesn't necessarily make it good. The Post Ranch Inn ranks in my top 5 travel experiences and I cannot wait to go back to that sweet little treehouse nestled between the mountains and the sea.

If you are looking for anything other than a beautiful and peaceful vacation, this is not the place for you. There aren't even TV's in the rooms. Bring a book, pour a glass of vino and bliss out in that little piece of heaven that is The Post Ranch Inn.

• Liked — It's tranquility
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

If there weren't such things as work and bills, this is where I would stay forever. There aren't many places that can surpass Big Sur in natural beauty but then to have a world class hotel with impeccable service around as your "camp ground" is such an amazing experience. This eco-friendly inn (only one tree was sacrificed when building Post Ranch) has every little touch, but still lets you feel like you are out in nature enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world. When you arrive you are escorted to your room in a hybrid lexus and if it weren't for the beautiful outdoors, we probably would have never left the room. From music to wine to a ready-made fire this place was over-the-top without being overdone and I can't imagine what a room with a ocean view would be like. They have an infinity hot tub that makes you feel as if you are floating over the Pacific ocean, they have star gazing every night outside their restaurant and a meal to die for at Sierra Mar (their restaurant). In the morning you are greeted by an amazing brunch which you can enjoy out on their deck while whale watching. Their hiking trails are lined with bottled water and they even have a convertible lexus that you can take out on the PCH for a day excursion. We unfortunately had a short stay but can't wait to come back.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at PRI from 6/29-7/2/07, during perhaps the most perfect weather the area has experienced this summer, the temps ranged from 50 to 78 or so, with no fog and clear, gloriously blue skies.

We were celebrating my 35th birthday, and while I don't remember mentioning it during booking, there was a chilled split of sparkling wine waiting in the room, compliments of the staff. I do, however, remember them informing me of the construction at the time I booked--March or so, as well as during the courtesy call they placed about 3 weeks prior to arrival. Construction is limited to weekdays and at this point, seems to be mostly inside the new buildings, as opposed to obtrusive machinery barreling around the property. It didn't bother us in the least, although we missed not dining at Sierra Mar.

We stayed in the F. Post room, an "upper coast room with filtered view" which meant that from the large and private cedar balcony we looked through a few tree branches to the water. It was a most spectacular view, really to take coffee or wine out to the comfy chairs and watch the world, we couldn't ask for much more in life. Except that we did want to use the satellite radio, which was on the blink during our entire stay. We were surprised that the stereo didn't have an input for our I-Pod and as a result, spent a lot of time listening to the waves, not so bad, but when they say 'bring CDs', BRING CDS!

As noted in other reviews the bedding and toiletries as well as the generously and thoughtfully stocked bar were all lovely touches and on par with the level of luxury. We took advantage of one of the Lexus convertibles and drove down to Carmel, shopped a bit and then did 17 Mile Drive and had lunch at Pebble Beach--quite a day! The breakfasts provided some of the best food of the trip, with at least a couple egg dishes, potatoes, sausage or ham, beautiful assortments of fruit, cereals, pastries, juice, and hot bevs. It really went above and beyond ordinary breakfast.

We did have them pack a lunch for us one day and were a bit disappointed. The ham sandwiches were mouthwateringly delicious, but a little soggy and tossed into a box with a few olives, gerkins and a nectarine and then placed sidways in a backpack so everything was bounced and mixed around as we hiked. For $23 per person, it didn't seem like a great value.

We also ordered room service the first night and were pleasantly surprised, everything was delicious and just as we ordered. Our only complaint was that we had to call for the menu, we'd have appreciated it in our room materials. It would have helped us get a sense of what Rancho Sierra Mar served and we could have gone ahead and called when we were ready, rather than waiting for the menu and then waiting for the food.

I think what surprised us the most was the friendliness of the staff, from the person who cheked us in at the gatehouse, to the grounds staff to the spa, people were really NICE. They seemed well trained and paid and well, happy to work there.

There are so many other bits of information I'd love to share, but really, it would take me all night. For us, it was well worth the money and we can't wait to go back, we are looking forward to booking one of the new rooms!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

My husband and I spent the first few nights of our honeymoon at the Post Ranch Inn last October and loved it so much that we returned recently for another short stay. Everything was excellent - the rooms, the amenities, the views, the staff, the environment, the food. I wish I was back there right now!

I've stayed at many nice hotels before, but the Post Ranch Inn really
blew me away. It is perfect for romance and also a great place to propose/ spend your honeymoon (lots of "secret" nooks and crannies on the property).

The views are spectacular and the air is so clean and refreshing. The breakfasts were fantastic and we felt healthy just being there! It was also an added perk that the Post Ranch Inn offers free minibar and laundry facilities.

There was some renovation work going on when we stayed there this time. Sierra Mar had been relocated temporarily and they were building some new guest rooms. However, we did not hear any of the construction work at all and were informed about the renovation work when we made the booking. The Post Ranch Inn also gave us a discount on our food bill because of the "inconvenience" (their words, not ours!) of the relocation.

The only negative comments I have is that the reservation desk is not 24 hours and you cannot book a room via email/ their website, so being from abroad, we had to wait till a certain time to call them to book our rooms. Also the receptionists were not as friendly as the rest of the staff.

But other than that, I highly recommend the Post Ranch Inn! It is very expensive, but totally worth the price.

• Liked — The views, the rooms, the environment... EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — The difficulty of making a reservation, the receptionists
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

This place is an overrated, overpriced, rip off. We hated it. The rooms are small and uncomfortable, the spa services the worst we've experienced anywhere, and the staff LAZY, ARROGANT, and rude. They have some sort of 'holier-than-thou' attitude because the place initially had good reviews and it seems they are resting on their laurels and could care less about the guests. My husband and I have travelled all over the world and were surprised by this cramped, dull, overrated place. It has one tiny hot tub cramped by all of the guests who gather there for the view but there is no privacy and the tub is tiny-- good for 2 people. It has a few nice views going for it, but that's it, and that's not enough for the outrageous prices. You can get the same views for free in Big Sur anywhere you drive, stay, or walk. There are so many nicer places in both Big Sur and of course all over the world. We really couldn't believe how OVERRATED this place was. Again, the people who work there are LAZY AND ARROGANT-- not a nice combination at all. Avoid this over hyped dump.

Stayed May 2006
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Pictures do not do this place justice. The mountains are the setting behind Post Ranch Inn which is in a redwood forest that runs out onto a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. So anywhere on the property you are in the Redwood Forest looking up at mountains or out off a cliff over the ocean, and usually both, just depending on the direction you look.

My wife and I spent our wedding/honeymoon here last October. I can't say enough about the place. It is very cool (zen like) to say the least. We stayed in one of the Butterfly suite's which was very nice. I honestly don't know why you would need to stay in the more expensive cottages unless you just wanted to blow the extra cash(which I probably will do some day). We spent most of our time hiking, hanging out in one of the infinity pools, laying in the hammocks, eating at Sierra Mar (which by the way was the best food I have ever eaten), and star gazing. The grounds are very well maintained, there are no kids allowed, and the ocean view rooms are actually built into the side of the cliff. The Sierra Mar is beautiful inside, and has the most amazing view of each evenings sunset you have ever seen. Just amazing...splurge on a bottle of wine and enjoy the view.

It's the added touches too... real wood burning fireplaces, workers come kindle the wood for you each morning and evening. They light the fire while you're at dinner and turn down your bed / clean up the room / close the blinds for you at night. There are a few convertible Lexus sports cars that are free for your use to drive up and down highway one. All the wine, fruit, nuts and snacks in the fridge are included. There are coolers with iced bottled water in them along the hiking trails. It's the little things that make this place.

As a guy was saying at the desk when we were checking out, one day at Post Ranch Inn is like 3 days anywhere else. It's not a place you go to stay and then go see the sites, Post Ranch Inn is the destination. Relaxation is what they are selling here, if you want to destress, see beautiful scenery, be taken care of, eat great food and see beautiful sunsets, this is the place for you.

We're going back for 4 days in October, or 12 days depending on how you look at it.. Can't wait, most incredible place I have ever been and worth every penny!!!

• Liked — Service and Scenery
  • Disliked — Is this a trick question, could anyone dislike anything about this place?
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!