“Which rooms to request?” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Which rooms to request?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Post Ranch Inn on September 5-7, 2008. It was our second time staying there, and probably the 6th or 7th time dining at Sierra Mar. It was absolutely wonderful. We just love the grounds, the attention to detail in the rooms and on the property, the gracious service, and the unique style.

I know many previous reviews have detailed how beautiful and luxurious different elements of the property are, so I thought I would offer something a little different. I spent some time walking the north side of the property (where all the original lodging is, not the new ones that are uber expensive), and I took note of the ones that seem to have the best views and privacy in each class. This may be helpful as a guide if you want to request a particular room, but keep in mind I have only stayed in two of these rooms. So most of it is just my opinion based on viewing the buildings from the outside.

This is in order of least expensive to most expensive:

Butterfly Rooms: There are only two Butterfly buildings, with two rooms in each building. Those on the upper floors are more expensive because they have nicer views and more privacy. But between the two buildings, there doesn't seem to be much difference. We stayed in Dani, which is a lower room, and the ceiling of our deck was the floor of the upper unit's deck. It was very nice, with a lovely woodsy view, but didn't get much light since it was covered. I imagine the deck son the upper units must be nicer. Also, our windows looked out onto the road, so when the blinds were up, there wasn't quite enough privacy for my taste. The upper units would be higher up, and therefore would not have that problem.

Mountain Rooms: There is only one building with Mountain Rooms. One room is on the lower level and the other is on the top level. The top level is more expensive because it offers a better view and a bit more privacy. The views from both are trees and mountain views. They are set back from the main road and very private.

Coast Rooms: There are five Coast Room buildings. They are the exact same buildings as the Mountain Rooms, but they are on the coast, hence the name.

Slate (lower) and Torre (upper) make up the Coast Room building closest to the restaurant. In my opinion, they didn't seem to offer quite enough privacy. You can see a bit of their decks from the road. But that's being very picky.

The next building is Rico (lower) and Roberts (upper). We stayed in Rico, and when we checked in the girl at reception told me that one was her favorite. I thought she might have just been saying that, but after seeing it, I really do think it's among the best. When we sat out on our deck all we could see was ocean and sky. You cannot see any other buildings, and it feels like you're alone in the world. It's so well placed that passersby on the road cannot get even a tiny glimpse of your deck.

Rico, however, is a lower level room, so the top level in that building would be even better. That one is called Roberts.

The other building that seemed to be just as good if not better would be the one with J. Post (lower) and W.B. (upper).

The next building along the road is Pick (lower) and F. Post (upper). Personally, I don't think I'd be all that happy with them because there are a lot of trees in front of the decks. So you can see the ocean, but it's not a totally unobstructed view as it is in the other buildings. But again, I haven't been in those rooms, so maybe the view is very lovely. I just don't think I would like the trees in the way of my ocean view.

The last Coast Room building is Partington (lower) and Pfeiffer (upper). The views are very good, but they don't seem to be quite as private as Rico/Roberts or J. Post/ W.B. Post.

Tree Houses: These are not on the coast, and aren't meant to be ocean-view, but there are two that will probably provide peaks of the ocean from the window: Harlan and Hathaway.

The two with the most privacy and very woodsy are Innocenti and Grimes.

Burns, Brazil and Boronda seem too close to the road from a privacy standpoint, but then again, they are high up, so no one can see in your windows. And the decks are on the back side.

I think I'd like to stay in a Treehouse on our next visit. I just love the pictures on the website. While I typically want to splurge for ocean view, the woodsy aspect of PRI is just divine as well. And you can't always count on an ocean view because of the fog.

Ocean Houses: These buildings are also along the coast, but they are more expensive than Coast Rooms because you get the whole 2-story building to yourself. Overstrom seemed to offer the best view, but Onesimo and Molera were pretty darn close, and all three of them are located in the same spot at the far north end of the property. Nothing picky to really say about any of them. Wayland, on the other hand is the first building north of the restaurant, and doesn't offer enough privacy. Finally, Trotter is just north of Wayland and seemed very good.

With all that said, if you have never been to PRI, and you are thinking about it, definitely go! And while a lot of people think they need to have nice, sunny weather for Big Sur, do know that it's absolutely gorgeous even when it's foggy or misty or even when it's raining. During a rain everything is so green, which makes for gorgeous photos. And after the rains the wildflowers come out. In the late summer and fall, you probably have less chance of fog, and very little chance of rain, but everything is dry and there are no more flowers. So don't rule out the winter and spring.

Hope this helps!

• Liked — The soaking tub and the deck.
  • Disliked — Dani (middle butterfly room) isn't too private. The windows in main room look onto the path.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
36,000 Feet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Post Ranch Inn is a stunning property for a short stay. We had reserved a new Cliff House room for two nights and found the accomodation to be of an extremely high order. Our terrace was indeed perched on the cliff top but the entire unit was completely secluded from other guests. The restaurant, although basic in decor and with inconsistent service, provided excellent quality food both for breakfast and dinner and the wine list is up there with the best in northern California. Whilst the hotel location is mesmerising, apart from hiking there are limited distractions within the sprawling grounds so a two night stay was spot on. Two points to bear in mind - the small public plunge pools overlooking the ocean are set to 100 degrees, even in the height of summer when one would rather be able to jump in and cool down, and there are no TVs available in the rooms when it would seem more sensible to have a back-up supply should guests choose to have one.

• Liked — Quality of accomodation, food and wine
  • Disliked — Temperature of plunge pools
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My husband and I and two other couples stayed at the Post Ranch Inn for 2 nights in August. We stayed in the Post Ranch House which has 3 bedrooms. Before I left, I wanted to find reviews from people who stayed in the house but could never find any. I want to say the house was really great and I'm glad we stayed there instead of individual rooms. The view from the porch was incredible. The house is a little bit away from the other rooms but not a far walk from the restaurant or pools. The Post Ranch was the best experience I have ever had at any hotel I have ever been to. The best part was breakfast at the restaurant. It was awsome, fresh and bountiful. We also had dinner at the restaurant one night. I would give it a 7 out of 10 for food but the convenience was an 11 and service was great too. I love not having to drive before and after a nice dinner like that. The staff was so great. Friendly and very helpful at all times. This was an experience of a lifetime for us.

• Liked — Peaceful and serene, beautiful views
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

We had a fabulous 15th Anniversary 2 night stay! Service was warm and friendly right from the front lobby where we were offered wine upon arrival and again any time we happened through the lobby. We had to wait an hour for check in but walked the grounds with our wine glasses and found a bench with an incredible view so it wasn't a bother at all. We had a great Ocean view room. I read some reviews about the rooms needing updating, I wasn't bothered at all. The bed is super comfortable, sofa and fireplace wonderful and shower/jet bath with an incredible view. No complaints. We didn't need AC, just an open window and snuggle up weather in the down bed. We never felt like we saw more than 2 couples there. We had the meditation pool to ourselves twice and once with 2 couples. Restaurant was pricey but amazing food and again we had good service. The Spa treatments were outstanding and great environment - redwoods view. Next time I would chose on my deck. We found the staff very friendly and offering rides or assistance. We hiked each day along the coastline from Hikes in their books offered in each room. Due to fire, some trails were closed but still beautiful hikes. We enjoyed a dinner at the Bakery the second night. This was worth the wait, I hope I don't have to wait 15 yrs to go back.

• Liked — views from all rooms, including during shower
  • Disliked — Lap Pool area seemed out of place, a bit barren
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

one of the few places that are much better in reality than one can expect from looking at their site (the site is great, it's just the place and service is even better). truly unique architecture of all buildings, restaurant and rooms inside. taking care of every little detail (eg music in the room, fire place set up). food is very good. spa treatments are exceeding expectations. the only flip side is that children not allowed and anything longer than 3 nights could become less exciting if you're used to active vacations. expensive, but worth every penny. visited Ventana inn for a lunch and though i think it's in the same price range, seemed to deliver inferior quality/service at the first glance. Post Ranch definitely on the top of my list for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — unique archiecture/place and service
  • Disliked — it's not cheap
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

This place is perfection! You get the best of both worlds within Big Sur when you stay here, the gorgeous incomparable scenery and the opulent accommodations. The service is terrific. You won't want to leave your room especially if it is an Ocean House, but if you do you won't be sorry. The spa is fab the food is terrific and you won't go anywhere that doesn't have a view. Yes it is expensive, but luxury like this costs money.

• Liked — Everything room, food, view, service, location......
  • Disliked — price of course
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

I think that the Post Ranch Inn is one of the most amazing places I have visited in the United States or anywhere for that matter. The architecture of the “rooms” and outstanding panoramic views of the ocean to the west and mountain coastal forests to the east could be in a coffee table book. At one point my wife compared the view from one of the pools as “heaven on earth”. The staff members at the resort are polite but know how to provide service without being all over the top of their guests. The restaurant serves up some of the best food I have ever had while you sit 1,200 feet above the Pacific. I just kept asking myself, Does it get any better than this??????

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!