“Magical Elopement/Honeymoon!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cypress, California
“Magical Elopement/Honeymoon!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stumbled across this magical paradise on an elopement website. Im so glad I saw it. I had just become engaged and my fiance and I knew we wanted to have a private ceremony. We just needed to find the perfect place. The Post Ranch Inn was the place!!
I will say, without a doubt, that this is my new favorite place! I will go to any lengths to get to this place again! It was THAT amazing!! We stayed 4 nights. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The staff is great. I can't say enough good things about how wonderful they were to us.
The moment we arrived, we were escorted to "check-in", where they offered us a beverage (water, champagne, coffee), while they checked us in. We were getting married the next day, so everyone congratulated us. (They offer a BEAUTIFUL Elopement Package!) Then they transferred our luggage to one of their on-site Lexus to take us to our room. On the way, we got a tour of the property. I want to mention that this place has something really special about it. The second you are on the property, you just feel all your troubles slip away. You feel peaceful and very, very relaxed. Anyone who has been there, knows what I'm talking about!!)
The room we stayed in was called Fredericks!! It is one of the less expensive rooms (they are all expensive), but still a slice of heaven. Very private. Very romantic. Beautiful views of the forest and mountains. Fireplace. Beautiful bathroom. Beatiful decor. The fridge in the room is full and its gratis. Cheese, crackers, chips, nuts and all different beverages. They refill your fridge everyday. This place can be at full capacity (there are 39 guestrooms), and you still feel like nobody is around. Very quiet, very private. Adults only at Post Ranch Inn. We got to our room and there was sparkling cider on ice (we dont drink) and beautiful centerpiece of flowers with a card from the hotel congratulating us on our upcoming nuptials (the next day). Such a nice touch.
We got married on Halloween, by the resorts resident interfaith wedding coordinator. She is a whole different review. I could go on and on about her. Her name is Soaring Starkey and we had the privilege of getting to know her for the past year while she put together the most beautiful ceremony for us. She also took care of details; flowers, photographer. She handled everything for us. In short, our wedding day was PERFECT. The best day of our lives!!!
The restaurant on the property is fabulous. After we were married, we had dinner at the Sierra Mar (also a whole different review), at sunset and the food and service were amazing...and thats an understatement. Its expensive, but it was worth it. We only ate there one night because we wanted to explore other restaurants in the Big Sur area during our honeymoon. The continental breakfast at Sierra Mar for hotel guests each morning is extraordinary!!!
The hotel has Lexus cars available for guests to use if they would like to explore off the property. All we had to do is to call concierge and they would have a car waiting for us!!
The views are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. They have a Spa on site, and an infinity pool and infinity soaking tub overlooking the ocean.
There are deer and wild turkey just roaming the property. We were lucky enough to be able to see these animals a few times. Fabulous hiking trails. Wonderful garden (where they grow food that they use at Sierra Mar). Everytime a staff member saw us, they stopped to ask how we were doing. They would ask if there was anything they could get us. It was just amazing. Really great service!
The morning we were leaving, I really wanted to cry. I did NOT want to leave. We loved it so much, that when we checked-out, we made a reservation for our anniversary next year!!
I researched this place for months. I read ALL the reviews on tripadvisor (and many other sites) about Post Ranch Inn. I can't figure out how anybody could give this place anything less than 5 stars. I dont understand that!! I would recommend this little slice of heaven to anybody. For a wedding, anniversary, romantic getaway or just because you want to get away from reality and relax. I did the research, I stayed there for 4 days and it was the best time of our lives!!
Now,,,,the cost. It IS expensive. Unless you are wealthy or a celebrity, this is not cheap.Your bank account WILL feel it when you check-out. But Im saying, without any kind of exaggeration, that it is worth every single penny!!! Go check it out. You wont be sorry!!!!!

Room Tip: We chose our room because we wanted our view to be of the forest. If you are wanting an ocean view...
Green Features: The hotel is environmentally-friendly. The water bottles used in the rooms are recycled. I know they use organic food from the area in the restaurant and rooms. They also use non-toxic pest control. I believe there is other things they do as well to help the environment and I think its wonderful!!

629 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Pros:
Stayed in one of the ocean houses- with a phenomenal view. Great amenities, lovely setting in the redwoods, great staff, very very quiet and private, with extraordinary in-room drinks and food. The room service was delicious and graciously delivered. A perfect massage, from Carri Wooten in the spa, topped it all off. There was even a little cast iron tea pot of cream in the fridge for our coffee.
Cons:
Room smelled so strongly of woodsmoke that it burned our eyes and noses. We had to keep the doors and windows open all the time. When our next door neighbors lit their fireplace, we had to close the doors because smoke came right in our room. And then we had to smell the smoke inside...
The room was very dark- especially in the bathroom. We had to use a flashlight to find our clothes in the closet. WiFi and cell service are spotty at best- which is frustrating when there is no TV.

Room Tip: The all the oceanfront rooms have great views, but the ones further from the restaurant will be quie...
Green Features: They do a great job of letting you decide if you want your linens changed, or housekeeping, and have recycling bins in the rooms. The rooms are so well insulated that you don't need AC very much, and are very quiet as a result.
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I went for our 6th wedding anniversary and I was very impressed with the property, the service and amenities. I've stayed in some fairly nice places but this was my favorite experience. Sometimes if a place is expensive, the staff can be snooty (I don't know... maybe rich people like that attitude or something?), which can make some one like myself feel uncomfortable asking for help or directions, or anything. I really liked the staff at Post Ranch, they were all friendly and approachable. The chef sent us out a special dessert for our anniversary dinner. The cliffside "pools" were 104 degrees, the perfect foil for the stiff breeze off the ocean. The room was nice... but to be honest I was out on the deck or walking the property, generally enjoying the quiet, exploring the garden, regular pool, doing yoga in the yurt or eating at the unbelievable view restaurant and was only in the room for a couple hours during one day to read and take a nap on the awesome window seat. It's difficult to rationalize spending that much money on a room... but I'm glad we did. The experience was world-class in my book. I believe that Big Sur is the most beautiful place on earth, and the Post Ranch displays all of it's diverse beauty right on the property.

Room Tip: I got the cheapest room possible (upper Butterfly) and still had a little peep of the ocean and was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the Post Ranch Inn after our wedding for a "mini-moon" and while it was very expensive, it was worth every penny. First of all, the hotel is located in beautiful Big Sur and the grounds are breathtaking. You pretty much have unfettered views of the Pacific Ocean, with the green mountain to your back. The rooms are rustic yet luxurious, with a real fire place, huge stone tub and free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks restocked daily free of charge. Even though the Coast Rooms are not stand-alone, you have a neighbour either above or below you, we still had a great sense of privacy. Breakfast is included at the Sierra Mar restaurant -- we went every morning as the view was amazing and the fresh selection scrumptious. We also had dinner at the Sierra Mar restaurant and the food was great. Would recommend an early dinner so you can watch the sunset from the restaurant. We also took advantage of the free activities offered by the hotel, including hiking, jogging and a tour of the chef's garden (which was awesome)! The service was great from the moment we checked in, with the free wine and free shuttle experience to nearby restaurants, to the staff who cleans and restocks your room. Very professional yet uninstrusive.

Overall, our stay at the Post Ranch was definitely an unforgettable experience and we hope to be able to return in the future.

Room Tip: We really liked our Coast Room. We had the lower level which allows you to walk out onto the grounds...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic. You are made to feel special, you name is remembered throughout and nothing is too much trouble. One night we wanted to try the big sur bakery for dinner which is off site and they booked it and ran us there and back.
The rooms are all log cabins along a road through the trees and the room was awesome. Big bed, log burner, balcony, fridge - full of complimentary food and drinks, even including cheese and biscuits and hummus, crisps, chocolates, nuts, fruit bowl a small bottle of red and white wine and as it was our anniversary a bottle of champagne! Everything, except the alcohol was topped up daily.
The jacuzzi bath was fantastic to relax in - views from the bath (if you are not too paranoid about people seeing in too) .
All the small things had been thought about - we had umbrellas, walking pole, picnic blankets, sun lotion. Even complimentary stainless steel water bottles so you never go out without water. Complimentary wifi. And the first hotel I've been in the has separate bins for recycling in the room.
The site itself is massive (100 acres?) so there is plenty of walking (some fairly steep). We walked through their redwood forest which was lovely, saw turkey's and deer, even some blue birds we had never seen before.
The pool area was lovely and quiet and clean, set way below the accommodation, (quite a walk back up - but even me, who is embarrassingly unfit at the moment,made it without too much trouble)
There are 2 infinity hot tubs - great to relax in or by. A library and spa.
The restaurant is great and provided breakfast with a view.
This hotel is in the most fantastic position - as the sun goes down find yourself a quite bench and watch an awesome sunset.
We only spent two nights here but I so wished it was longer - I would love to go back.

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had the privilege of staying in the Post Ranch Inn five years ago and the experience was so special that I was determined to stay there again on our recent trip to California. That gave me the advantage of being able to compare our two visits.
The property was less exclusive and more crowded on this occasion but the cost of the accommodation was much greater.
We were disappointed that our suite had not been refurbished since our last visit. All of the accommodation in The Post Ranch is luxurious but the suite looked tired and the bed linen and covers were heavy and uncomfortable.
For such expensive accommodation, I would have expected a little modernisation and refurbishment over the five years.
In the end, the experience of staying two further nights in Post Ranch was delightfully relaxing but, on this evidence, I doubt that we will return again.
A great pity but perhaps a sign of the times.

Minnetonka, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed two nights at Post Ranch and it was incredible. We started in the Upper Coast Room and then changed rooms to the Peak House. Both were incredible but I'd have to say that the Peak House was unforgettable with so much space and privacy. Sierra Mar was an amazing restaurant - breakfast was one of the nicest morning buffets I have seen.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!