“Unique Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Unique Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

one of the few places that are much better in reality than one can expect from looking at their site (the site is great, it's just the place and service is even better). truly unique architecture of all buildings, restaurant and rooms inside. taking care of every little detail (eg music in the room, fire place set up). food is very good. spa treatments are exceeding expectations. the only flip side is that children not allowed and anything longer than 3 nights could become less exciting if you're used to active vacations. expensive, but worth every penny. visited Ventana inn for a lunch and though i think it's in the same price range, seemed to deliver inferior quality/service at the first glance. Post Ranch definitely on the top of my list for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — unique archiecture/place and service
  • Disliked — it's not cheap
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

This place is perfection! You get the best of both worlds within Big Sur when you stay here, the gorgeous incomparable scenery and the opulent accommodations. The service is terrific. You won't want to leave your room especially if it is an Ocean House, but if you do you won't be sorry. The spa is fab the food is terrific and you won't go anywhere that doesn't have a view. Yes it is expensive, but luxury like this costs money.

• Liked — Everything room, food, view, service, location......
  • Disliked — price of course
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

I think that the Post Ranch Inn is one of the most amazing places I have visited in the United States or anywhere for that matter. The architecture of the “rooms” and outstanding panoramic views of the ocean to the west and mountain coastal forests to the east could be in a coffee table book. At one point my wife compared the view from one of the pools as “heaven on earth”. The staff members at the resort are polite but know how to provide service without being all over the top of their guests. The restaurant serves up some of the best food I have ever had while you sit 1,200 feet above the Pacific. I just kept asking myself, Does it get any better than this??????

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

4 nights over the new year.

Have stayed all over the world - and this is in my top 3. Unbeatable location, superb architecture, run by proper hoteliers.

Go there.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

We just returned last week from two nights at the Post Ranch Inn. Though our stay was wonderful, relaxing and a once in a lifetime experience, I would never go back. Some background...my husband and I prefer small, intimate hotels like this and have stayed in many top ones in the US, Caribbean and Europe. The Inn was definitely on my list of places to stay. Having driven up the coast from San Ysidro Ranch (which was a fabulous experience), I was looking forward to a totally different type of place. First, the scenery is spectacular and really what you are paying for. I've never been somewhere in such a unique and awe-inspiring spot. The service was outstanding as well. We were escorted to a Mountain Room, with breathtaking views of the peaks. However, I was extremely disappointed with the room. And considering this is a place where you spend most of the time in the room, it should have been spectacular. It's not the decor...though it was somewhat sparse and austere. What got me was the lack of quality found in the room. It easily, without the soaking tub and fireplace, could have been mistaken for a motel 6 room. Again, given that this room cost close to $900 in the height of the season, I find this unacceptable. First, the room was much smaller than I had expected. The heater was old, cheap and noisy, right next to the bed. Even though it was in the 40's at night, my husband and I had to turn it off because we couldn't sleep with all the noise. There was no heat in the bathrooms, and with the stone floor, it was freezing. The bathroom was the size of a small closet, with a single, tiny basin. and pocket door. The soaking tub, though nice, was also the shower, and you had to step on a wooden stool and climb over the huge side and step down into it to take a shower. Being fairly young and very small, I found this to be annoying and unsafe. I can't imagine an older or even very tall person navigating their way into it. The closet was so tiny, with a rusted safe, that I found it to be incredibly unappealing. When we asked the bellman if this room was on the smaller side, he said they were all mostly the same square footage, just different views. I have a feeling though, the newer Coast House rooms are much nicer. However, those are double the price, so I would hope you would get what you pay for. The bottom line is that you're here for the view and that's what you're paying for. The hotel was booked solid in the middle of the week both nights, not surprising, since it's got tremendous hype and spectacular views. We enjoyed the pools, though, they were always filled with people when we were there and it got kind of tight, since they are small. We took a hike on the property which was lovely. We also enjoyed walking along the ocean side and taking in the view, and sitting by the fireplace in our room. We had side by side spa treatments in the room, which was very nice and romantic. The restaurant, where we had breakfast both days and one dinner, was amazing. Not only are the views (again) spectacular--you are literally suspended above the ocean--but the food was the best we had on the trip. I couldn't get enough of the buffet breakfast--all organic and homemade. In summary, I'm glad I stayed here, but I would never go back. It's a once in a lifetime place. FYI--if you do go and plan a dinner at the neighorboring Ventana, skip it and stay at the Sierra Mar (they change the menu every day). We made the mistake of the Ventana and sorry afterward. That place needs a major update and the food was nothing special or very good. Plus, there are no ocean views, even though they claim to have them.

• Liked — Scenery, food and relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — room was cheap feeling
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

Post Ranch Inn is expensive, but I can honestly say it is worth every penny. Everything about this hotel is designed to force you to relax and be romantic. There are no TV’s (except for one in the library that is available anytime), but we surprised ourselves by not even missing them. Instead there is satellite radio (with any kind of channel you could want), or you can bring or borrow CD’s. This really sets the mood.

We had an Ocean House which was just fantastic! The only thing we could see from our patio was a green cliff that sloped gently into the ocean and beautiful scenery – very dramatic! You really feel like you’re the only people at the resort.

There is a lap pool and two small hot tubs that are also available anytime. We never used either. Instead we hung out in the Jacuzzi tub in our room. There is a fireplace that faces the bedroom on one side and the tub on the other. You can open the windows by the tub and you feel like you’re outside.

We ate at Sierra Mar for dinner one night and each day for breakfast (included). The food was really good – for dinner there are four courses with approximately four items to chose from in each category for $95. You can also order anything ala carte, they are very flexible. For the main course I chose prime rib oscar – it was one of the best steaks I’ve had in my life! Breakfast was very good as well, plenty of choices. And of course the view from the restaurant is spectacular. It’s ceiling to floor windows, and the restaurant hangs over a cliff that slopes into the ocean.

While you are there, you must have a spa treatment! I had a massage and my husband had a men’s facial (his first ever visit to the spa). Both were wonderful and so relaxing! The treatment rooms have a beautiful view of the mountains.

If you can afford to splurge, even for just one night…this is the place to do it! It doesn’t matter if you get ocean or mountain view – both are breath taking. I really think this is as good as life gets!

• Liked — Romantic & Relaxing
  • Disliked — I tried...but I can't think of anything!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beverly Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

Judging by the fact that this hotel was fully booked during our recent mid-week stay, leads me to believe that they don't need me to write a review for them. Nevertheless, The Post Ranch is such an exceptional place, that I felt compelled to write about it. Last year my family and I went to the Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort in Fiji, which is a sister property to The Post Ranch. Because our stay in Fiji was so great, my wife and I decided to visit the Post Ranch, this time without our kids. First of all, Big Sur is serene. Perched on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean, you find yourself in one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Somewhat reminded us of the Amalfi Coast in Italy, without the population or traffic. The hotel, while expensive, is well worth it if you can afford the tariff. The rooms are built in such a way, that you feel like you're alone in this towering and spare natural environment. It's very private and you don't get a sense of other people being around. The rooms are very modern and designed in an eco-friendly manner. If you're into romance, privacy, nature, luxury, style and quality, this is the place. We had amazing massages in our room in front of the fire place and enjoyed terrific food both in the dining room, overlooking the Pacific and in our room as well. By the way, there's a great breakfast buffet that comes with the room charge. We never left the property. And did I mention they have a terrific staff? This is our favorite "chill" spot. A totally romantic getaway that we'll surely return to.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!