“Great property, but dont go in August” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“Great property, but dont go in August”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to our trip down Hwy 1 through Big Sur for months. Staying here is a splurge but I thought it would be worth it ($1600 a night) for the amazing view I saw in the pictures. The property and service are great, and we liked our room, but we never got to see the ocean due to a fog bank. I get that the weather is the weather, but I had more than one person tell us that it was very typical for fog to move in for days in August and not budge. I wish someone would have told me that when I booked. Sept/Oct are supposedly more reliable for clear weather. When you are paying that much for a room that is priced that way because of the view, you have a reasonable expectation that you will see something. Its like showing up at a golf resort and finding the links are closed. We will try it again,but not in August. Sierra Mar was great for drinks- Brian at the bar was awesome.

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, we were a little disappointed. We heard the post ranch inn was delightful and spent weeks leading up to our end-of-summer stay browsing the website and fantasizing about spa treatments.

I was looking forward to doing some work in a gorgeous setting, but the wifi was weak- near the pools and in my room. Even when they reset the routers. It's a very spread out campus - I can understand this might be a challenge to wire for guest wifi, but was surprised this amenity was weak due to the close proximity to Silicon Valley.

The views and rooms were delightful, but the food was overrated and waitstaff was underwhelming. Not a restaurant for picky eaters.

• Stayed August 2013
East Hagbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect driving from San Francisco on the way to LA.
The location is over 1/2mile from the freeway and up a mountain side. The glass of champagne on arrival was very welcomed after a long drive and early start.
Luckily on arrival the weather was fantastic, not a cloud in the sky and warm sunshine, although this was the only time in the 2days we were here that we had such luck, the rest of the time it was cloud and not so warm.

Stayed in an ocean view room which was amazing... until about 6am every morning when some motors starting cranking up and ruined the peaceful environment.

The food was good, not amazing... cocktails and wine list were adequate.

Why do I give it 5 stars then? Quite simply the location and hotel grounds.
The Redwood forest and trails with wild deer and turkey are amazing a worth many walks, the hidden pools are heated to 100degrees and are the coolest I have ever experienced.

We had a massage in the room during the stay, as a newbie to massage it was a little weird at first but then I started to enjoy the experience and can thoroughly recommend this as part of any visit.

Would I go back? Not in the summer due to the cloud but on any trip from San Francisco to LA .. absolutely.

Room Tip: Ocean Rooms have amazing views, Summer months may restrict the views.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I wont repeat what many others have said about the rooms, service etc. They are all terrific and so they should be at these prices.
We stayed one night in an Ocean view suite and it was fab but the show stopper, the thing you pay all that money for is the view. Our terrace jutted out into what can only be described as a view the angels must have from heaven. The blue sky above shot with tiny wispy clouds, the dark blue sea below twinkling a thousand diamonds and a strange band of dove grey, thick clouds, carpeting the rest of the horizon. Truly magical and a sight I will never forget. Yes it is incredibly expensive but to experience that view was worth it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We arrived in Big Sur with several thoughts in mind - to experience several adventures, to experience the energy of Big Sur and relax. All that and more is possible at Post Ranch Inn. The rooms are simply amazing - we stayed in 127 which is partially shaded but has an amazing view of the ocean and coast. The staff is exceptional and is organized and friendly. Dmitry who was our driver for the trip was superb - he was polite, knowledgeable, organized and always prompt and responsive. It seems he also works the front desk and it showed. I dove Jade Cove seeking underwater jade and Dmitry was excellent in helping me obtain that goal. We also visited Esalen as well as utilizing post ranch's Spa services. I had two reflexology sessions and a Shamanic Experience with Jon which was truly mind expanding. My companion had several spa services which she said were also amazing. The only drawback was the cost of the food but that was a small annoyance with the other restaurants in the area. Amazing place and amazing staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in 127 - I would highly recommend that room
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our 2 night stay at Post Ranch Inn was simply perfect. The drive up to Big Sur was tough (we were coming from the south), with windy roads, slow drivers and road construction. However, once you arrive, all the tension melts away. The staff were all pleasant and efficient and treated us like we were the only guests staying there.

The property is huge (I think they said over 100 acres), so we didn't even leave the property once we arrived. There are nice hiking trails through the redwood forest where we spotted deer, wild turkey and condors. Despite the rooms being booked (at least when I called, only the Peak room was available), it never felt crowded.

Our room was simply stunning in terms of design and function. If you are a fan of Dwell magazine, you will love this place! The design of the room was contemporary, but had enough of a rustic edge to fit the surroundings. I particularly liked the sound system and the bathroom. I am a very light sleeper and had the most restful nights sleep on the most comfortable bed. Our room was free standing so there was only one neighbor next to us spaced far enough away to never see/hear them. The complimentary snacks in the fridge, the jar of cookies and the bowl of fruit was a huge plus. I bet the staff has a chuckle as to how many guests clean out the fridge once they check out of their room.

Our room had an outdoor hot tub that was set at just the perfect temperature. At night, the balcony was perfect for staring up at the stars. We were lucky that weekend and caught a meteor shower that was a memorable sight to see.

If I had to point out negative things (I always try to be fair), I would say that the bathroom could have more areas to hang towels. I think an extra towel holder would have been beneficial without compromising design aesthetics. I also wish the shades were a little more light resistant, particularly if you want to sleep in a little after waking up at 3:00AM to watch the meteor shower. Lastly, the location of the swimming pool was a little out of the way from where the rooms were located. However, these negative things were very insignificant and did not impact my stay much.

This was our first time staying in Big Sur (we normally pass through for an hour on the way to/from San Francisco) and I highly recommend everyone staying in this area at least once in their life. The rooms are pretty pricey, but my husband and I agree it was worth every dollar. All I know is I can't wait to return!

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This property, its location, its amenities, and its service, is impeccable. We spent 3 nights here during our honeymoon, and despite not being massively lucky with the weather (there was a shedload of cloud and we had an Ocean Room, not ideal), we left feeling rejuvenated, relaxed, and feeling as we had experienced something special. The rooms themselves are spacious, well appointed, and take full advantage of the location. It wouldn't hurt to have a TV in the room (understand you're supposed to be enjoying the wonder of nature and all that, but it would be nice to have the choice), but the complimentary mini-bar was a nice touch, as was the pre-built fire that greeted you each evening after dinner.

The restaurant was exceptional, and we were pleasantly surprised given some of the rather negative reviews about Sierra Mar. A piece of advice, avoid the huge tasting menu, the 4 course offers far greater value, and is very well put together. They have a great wine cellar there too.

The grounds are incredible, as were the thermal pools that look out onto the ocean. Book yourself in for a massage. The Post Ranch signature treatment was better and more relaxing than any other massage I have had, and I've had a few.

Our whole experience there as magical, and provided you can justify the cost to yourself (our excuse; Honeymoon) then I highly recommend staying here. Having been fortunate enough to have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, this is certainly up there.

The whole experi

Room Tip: Avoid Ocean views in the summer months, there's too much cloud.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear friend,

Thank you for taking time to share insights and comments from your recent honeymoon stay at the Ranch. We feel honored to have welcomed you for your special occasion.

We very much appreciate your glowing ratings for the location, Sierra Mar restaurant, accommodations, and massage treatments. Our goal has and always will be to provide our guest with a relaxing and memorable stay. I apologize for the ever-changing Big Sur microclimate but I found comfort in knowing it did not hinder your experience.

Thank you for your in-room television suggestion. We have learned most of our past and future guests prefer the lack of television in their accommodation to promote the serenity and tranquility of the property. As an alternative, we hope you were able to enjoy the complimentary in-room Wi-Fi as well as the countless board games and literature which can be found at the Guest Library.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Congratulations and warm wishes,

Dan

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!