“One of the best in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“One of the best in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I spent a day here for my birthday (that's all we could reserve!). Having traveled the world, worked in the hospitality industry and stayed in some of the best hotels, I can say this ranks right at the top in terms of experience. The location is epic, the food fantastic, and the service perfect. It is classy, quaint, elegant. My only complaint is the spa, which is very average and far from a 5 star hotel experience. Hopefully they will fix that and this place will be paradise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Not sure how one can be critical of PR, it's one of a kind. From the moment we arrived until we left, everything was on the mark. The staff go above and beyond to ensure your stay is memorable. In fact when we arrived our rental car was making an awful noise. Concerned that I would spend the day on the phone with Avis, Eugene (front desk) requested a copy of my rental contract and keys and told me to enjoy the day he would look after things for me. Within two hours Eugene had arranged a new rental car which arrived on a trailer by noomwell as a couples massage. We arranged a private hiking tour, couples massage and spent the day walking about the property. Our treehouse room was very cool and we were lucky to have a view of the ocean, we didn't want to leave. One has to experience Post to appreciate its uniqueness and beauty...three thums up for post Ranch and all those who make it happen.

Room Tip: Boranda tree house
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have dreamed of staying here for years but it just never worked out. Finally, after years of drooling, we stayed here for our 25th anniversary.

The property: 5 stars Loved it. The hiking trails, the views, the wildlife. All met my every expectation.
The rooms: 4 stars Not what I expected, but not in a bad way. Think of a 1970's cabin with lots of windows and luxury linens.
The amenities: 3 stars Gym was old and rather run down, the pool was unique but fine.
The service: 2 stars This is where my disappointment lay and my utter shock begins. How do people rave about the service here, and how can it be deemed 5 star worthy? Here are some examples of our poor service:
Breakfast buffet: I stood in front of the "egg station" I waited for 10 minutes, no one showed up so I sat down. Someone showed up, a line formed, when the line died down, egg person grabs some pancakes and disappears for 15 minutes, I ask the hosts if they can find her so I can please have some eggs. It took 10 more minutes for her to show up. so in 35 minutes the egg person was at her station for about 5 minutes and only because I requested her presence. This may sound innocuous but come on this is the post ranch inn
Front desk/concierge: We asked them to please cancel our spa appointments in 2 days. Upon checkout guess what, two no show charges on our bill for our supposedly cancelled spa appointments. After returning from a hike we stopped by the front desk and let them know we would be going out for dinner in about 20 minutes after changing if they could please bring our car around. 30 minutes later, no car, and the lady at the front desk not only didnt ask for it to be brought around she completely forgot we even spoke with her.
Houskeeping: They left a wet rag laying on our ipad. Enough said.

Maybe we were unlucky. Hopefully you won't be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
It is with great chagrin to read your review of your experience at Post Ranch. We appreciate your compliments regarding the grounds. We have a dedicated team of landscapers who delicately maintain and care for the sensitive ecosystem through which our 2.5 miles of hiking trails run through. We are also fortunate enough to be a haven to rabbit-tailed deer and wild turkey among other spectacular wildlife.

Although you found the grounds to be the highlight of your visit, it is our personal service we wish all our guest can remember us by. This is why we regret all of the embarrassing shortcomings and lapses in service you experienced. Truly it was an anomaly, but we make no excuse for it. Your words are important and I have already shared them with the family of employees and managers and we will do all we can to ensure something like this does not ever happen again. I invite you to contact me directly at 831 667 7900 to discuss your return so we may restore your faith in us as soon as possible. We will not allow this to be your memory of your visit to the Ranch. I look forward to speaking with you.
staten island, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary during our summer vacation, from the moment we arrived at the entry gate our every need, was met. The staff are wonderful, the location is like no other. We had a lovely bottle of champagne in our room to start our wonderful stay. We had dinner in their restaurant on our 1st nights stay, beautiful views, food was very good but pricey (we booked a package which included dinner for 2 & a spa treatment for 2). I feel very privileged to have been able to spend time in this natural setting. This was the trip of a lifetime!!

Room Tip: Book early as the packages can change as time goes by.
Green Features: This is the most eco-friendly resort I have ever stay in. The water is bottled directly from the ranches spring & they have old fashion glass bottles!!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just spent a fantastic two nights. The ocean view room was simply incredible. The service is very good and overall, the inn is great. There are a few small issues one would not expect from a place of this magnitude. 1) the fitness equipment is quite dated in the gym 2) the toaster was partly broken at breakfast causing a slight backup. 3) the bellhop parked a car next to another in the driveway while packing someone's belongings causing a needless delay.

Overall, these are miniscule issues and if I could award 4.5 stars, I would. Nevertheless, just a tiny bit more attention to detail separates PRI from true excellence rather than just very, very good.

Still, given the views, the service, the incredible food and the overall experience I highly recommend the place.

Room Tip: The ocean view room is WELL WORTH the extra price.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This inn was one of the most beautiful properties I have ever stayed at. You feel like no one else is there and the service is unbelievable. So relaxing and special- truly relaxing. On one side is the mountains and the other is overlooking the pacific. It is worth it to pay for the rooms on the ocean- while all the spots are beautiful, the views of the pacific are amazing. Although the restaurant was pricey- the food was terrific and the views fantastic. So worth it. We ate there 2 out of three nights and were so glad we did. The breakfast is included and is also delicious. So much to do around there - although you could just be at property all day as well! LOVED it and looking forward to another relaxing visit sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Ocean view... well worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

When reading previous reviews I was skeptical, not really knowing which reviews were 'real' and which were either competitors posting derogatory comments... or paid promoters talking up the resort. Well, I can reassure you, we are neither. Just average people who stumbled across this amazing resort and stayed for a night. Our only regret - not staying for longer.

The breathtaking views are only the beginning of your experience at Post Ranch. We opted for the Ocean Suite overlooking a 1,200 foot drop... with incredible views of the coastline. Really remarkable.

Greeted by a fleet of Lexus vehicles that whisk you up the mountainside to your accommodations. But not before checking in with Victoria who was not only incredibly informative - she was gracious, considerate and incredibly accommodating. She greeted my wife with a 'Happy Birthday' and was sincere when she offered to help us out with anything to make our stay a truly memorable one.

Once up in our suite... we quickly knew why we chose to come to the Post Ranch... wow. Our private deck had one of the most spectacular views we had ever seen. Sitting there we just took it all in...

Hikes through the groomed (but not overly) trails on the property; swimming in the gorgeous pool; soaking in the infinity/hot tubs... this was truly paradise.Not to mention the homemade cookies waiting for us in the room. Delicious.

We really loved how environmentally conscious the whole resort was. They really do care about the footprint they leave and the impact they have. They care. And not just in writing.

The history of the resort and the town is really interesting as well. So all this to say, if you have the means (it's not cheap but oh so worth it), and you are looking for a truly unique and romantic getaway... look no further. This is it. Loved it.

Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!