I wasn't sure what to expect for $1400 a night. There are other places, such as Ventana, that are next door and almost half the price. Post Ranch just operates at a very high level. First the pros:
1. check is in comfortable, with a seated area for a cold beverage while signing in. An agenda for your stay, showing prearranged spa treatments, dinner, etc. is provided- a nice touch. Shuttled up to your room, one finds a complex of discreetly secluded rooms- most of which are either a "tree house" or half of a duplex- up and down.
2. The rooms are fine, but not amazing. Interiors are comfortable, with fireplaces, earthy furniture, and natural materials.
3. The view is really what one pays for, and the quiet. Be sure to book a room with unobstructed ocean view.
4. Dinner at Sierra Mar was excellent. Food was very good, service was good, and portions were not small. There isn't a bad seat in the house.
5. Breakfast, included with the room, is excellent. It includes fruit, juices, eggs, proteins, and some pretty good smoked salmon. If you want to eat in your room, they will deliver it without additional charge.
6. The spa is good. I did not see a steam or sauna, but conventional therapy rooms (many for couples) were well appointed, and had excellent views.
7. I hesitate to use the word "value"- but it was appropriate that the mini bar, fully stocked with everything you could want, was included with the room. Wine, juice, soda, cookies, snacks- you name it, it had it. Other perks include hotel shuttle service to local restaurants in the event you dine off-property. If you do yoga, there is yoga included with the cost of your room every morning at 830.
8. Visual privacy- one can enjoy their deck, if your room has one (tree houses do not) with a 180˚ view of the ocean, without seeing anyone else but for the birds and the wales. It was striking how we saw no airplanes, or sea birds, hovering by. It was amazingly silent and clear.
9. Great air conditioning when needed. Great fireplace when needed.
Words of Caution:
For $1400 a night, I did not expect to hear the people upstairs. I did. They were not loud, but not tip toeing... and that detracted from the ambiance. This wasn't the hotel's fault, but some additional sound insulation might be good. The showers are contained inside the jet bathtub which is custom tiled, not a prefabricated unit. So climbing into and out of the shower, even for someone in good health with excellent balance was not easy or, in my opinion, safe. (The view from the shower, out the window to the sea, is great). The bed/mattress, it wasn't a McCroskey- I found it hard which is not common in a 5-stary luxury property. The window coverings are not black out, so if you want to sleep in, bring a mask. It is not a place for watching ESPN... but there are no televisions in the room.
As in nature, there are lots of insects and lizards. That did not bother me, they didn't bite. But a city slicker might give pause.
Conclusions: For a special couples get away for the price indiscriminate, this is the place. Be sure to have a private deck with ocean view, and bring your checkbook.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your Post Ranch Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Post Ranch Hotel Big Sur
- Post Hotel Big Sur
- Post Big Sur