“Romantic and Beautiful!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Frederick, Maryland
“Romantic and Beautiful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have always read about post ranch inn being a top rated hotel And have wanted to come here. I don't know where to begin. Most beautiful views/surroundings I have ever seen. The staff are not only incredibly welcoming, but so very accommodating, making sure every little detail is taken care of and that you are happy. We went here for our 23 Anniversary and were so happy we did. Its pricy but worth it and we can't wait to go back. We stayed the first night in an ocean suite and the next night in a Cliff House. We booked late and was not able to get the Cliff House for both nights, which actually worked out great because we were able to experience both room types. We love the Ocean and its beautiful location and walk out patio and the Cliff with the breadth taking view from the glass gated deck and awesome stainless steel hit tub overlooking the pacific. The beds were perfect and I'm extremely picky because I have a hard time sleeping on many bed when we travel so its very important to me. The staff made the move to the other room a flawless and easy experience. I loved soaking in the tub and looking out over the pacific while doing so….so relaxing. The grounds are beautiful ad we enjoyed hiking. Breakfast on the deck was awesome. Our anniversary dinner in SIERRA MAR was just ok for me (my food was kinda cold but they took if off the bill no problem), my husbands meal was good but we have had better. There were many sight to see near by (a visit and lunch to Nepenthe Restaurant is a must and get the Ambrosia burger), but we found ourselves just enjoying ourselves on property and being pampered. The staff bring customer service to a new level. I know this review is late, but thanks for an experience we will never forget and really can't wait to enjoy again! We will be back!!

If you want to spurge, book the Cliff House!

Room Tip: Cliff House or Ocean Suite I don't think you can go wrong!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Cupertino, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the PRI for the third or fourth time, this time to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary. It has always been what my daughter's husband has dubbed his mother-in-law's "happy place" --- the next best thing to Shangri-La. We were treated well as always, delighted with our Tree House room once again, and pleased to find a bottle of Piper Heidseck chilling in our room when we arrived. There are. of course, no words to describe the magic of the surrounding natural environment.

But it is unsettling to realize that the likes of Sean Parker can throw his gazillions of dollars at the PRI and impel them to bounce ordinary mortals from their bookings. If our reservations had been a week or so earlier, we might have been the ones who were bumped. For the handful of guests who complained publicly about this demeaning treatment, I wonder how many swallowed it silence?

It is particularly disconcerting to note that General Manager Dan Priano's rationalizations/explanations/"apologies" to two of the bumped guests were word-for-word identical. Can't really blame him for being unable to come up with a sincere and original apology, because there is no valid excuse for such boorish and insulting behavior --- especially on the part of an establishment that has a reputation for being the ne plus ultra of hospitality and customer service. (For those prices, they had better earn it.)

My question is this: could the money the PRI received from Parker compensate in the long run for the ill will and tarnished reputation the Inn earned with this tacky stunt? I doubt it. And never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine I would use the word "tacky" to describe the PRI. In this instance it is well deserved. -lk

P.S. I must say that dinner at Sierra Mar, for the first time, was a bit of a disappointment. The incomparable setting, the truly top-notch servers, and plates that are almost too pretty to eat don't compensate for undistinguished food. The tasting menu is so precious and effete that it's hard to understand what you're getting. "Sformato"? I am pretty familiar with cuisines and preparation but that's a new one on me. (Hey, here's why: it's not in Webster. I get it: the chef makes this up as he goes along, assuming the hoi polloi won't know the difference.) It turned out to be a one-inch circle of carrot soufflé on top of a smear of green "fondue," accompanied by a few miniscule baby vegetables and thin curls of carrots as garnish: A visual work of art but not especially tasty, unless you're crazy about carrots.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear friend,

Thank you for your kind words in regards to your recent celebratory stay. It is a delight to hear words such as ‘happy place’ to describe the natural beauty of the Ranch, however it is our service we would like you to remember us by. Our staff has been dedicated to providing an experience for quite some time.

It was disappointing to read the second part of your otherwise thoughtful review. You are entitled to your opinion but If you were to read my previous responses carefully, you would be able to ascertain we make no excuses for the way the aforementioned situation was handled, only sincere apologies were offered. Post Ranch has earned the chance to make things right with those affected and we have done everything in our power to make amends. We also believe part of the healing process is by allowing us to move forward and put this situation behind us. We have learned from our errors and nobody truly benefits from referring to this matter once it has been acknowledged with all those who were affected. You said it yourself; Post Ranch has garnered a reputation for going above and beyond for our guest at every chance we possibly get and it is not because we have to. It is because each and everyone in our family of staff has been forever humbled by the beauty and awe of this piece of heaven as well as the legacies of those before us who made it possible for anyone to see such beauty up close. We as a whole feel proud to be able to share this property with all.

I only wish you had voiced your opinion to me personally during your stay since my office is always open to all guests.

With warm regards, Dan
New York, New york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Post Ranch doesn't need another review to tout its spectacular scenery, the fantastic grounds and its infinity pools/hot tubs. It does merit noting that everyone on the staff from Freddy at reception, Luis who drove us to the room, the helpful waitstaff (Sammy and Simone), and the cleaning staff were all stellar. Everyone was friendly and accommodating.
On a bit less positive note....The restaurant menu at lunch and dinner only presents a prix fix menu but the staff was MORE than willing to serve a la carte. Though they were willing, it seems a little awkward and unnecessary to have to ask. The meals were lovely but not all of us chooses to eat 3 courses in this era of "portion control". How about one sentence stating that a la carte is available upon request....? That would be my only complaint and a minor one.
Finally I must say that after hearing a great deal about this hotel, it lives up to its reputation.....Very special !!!!

Room Tip: I loved facing the ocean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is my favorite hotel on Earth. It is cozy yet elegant. It is peaceful and beautiful. The service is unparalleled. It is expensive, but it's worth it. We go there every year, and we always have an amazing time. I recommend renting a treehouse!

Room Tip: Rent a treehouse!
Green Features: This hotel is very "green." It's one of the things I love about it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosemary Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Post Ranch Inn is an amazing destination with first class customer service. And yes, expensive indeed. We stayed in a tree house that had great gulf views, amazing privacy, and amenities that included a full fridge restocked everyday with wine/cheese/snacks. We never left the resort, spent quite a bit of time in the infinity "hot" pools, hiking on the trails, and saving room for a great gourmet breakfast in the morning. The inn's restaurant has incredible 360' views of the ocean. This place is an adult escape-- I don't think they even allow children on site. You are whisked to your room in a Lexus and never have to touch your car keys once you arrive. Our tree house had a great wood burning fireplace and soaking tub. The Inn offers some interesting "spa" services such as Shaman sessions and fire rituals. Why not??!! First class, one of a kind, bucket list entry. Great place to have your soul get some rest and rejuvenate.

Room Tip: The Little house has a great balcony looking out to the mountains, the Hathaway treehouse has great...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

we stayed for 5 nights in the Ocean house located directly on the cliff, 800 feet above the Pacific. Incredible views, Incredible service, and exquisite gourmet dishes coupled with a great wine selection. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it---very expensive, yet the most romantic hotel in the continuous 48 states!!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean House
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

There seems to be a common theme running here. We booked the Cliff house SPECIFICALLY three months in advance. Bear in mind that the Post Ranch Inn shows and SPECIFICALLY prices their upper end accommodations - such as the Cliff House. It has a unique and SPECIFIC rate. The confirmation they sent us SPECIFICALLY showed the Cliff House. Upon our arrival and greeting us with smiles as they sat us down at the reception desk they proceeded to tell us that the Cliff House was not available. They stated that the current guest had decided to stay longer and that they had assigned us to another suite on property. I told them that was unacceptable, at which point they brought down the general manager who proceeded to tell us that there was nothing he could do and rambled on and on about needing to accommodate the other party. When I pointed out that we were the ones not being accommodated and pressed the issue he became obviously angry. He eventually had to release the Cliff House to us as he had no legal leg to stand on - all those SPECIFICS mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, it pretty much ruined what should have been a wonderful experience.

We have stayed in hotels all over the world including hots ranked in the top 10 in the world and have never experienced this before. Also, in those cases we have been asked to initial when our check out date is acknowledging that we have the property until that date.

It became apparent that there was much more at work here. Whether it was infatuation with celebrity status on the GMs part or some other unknown factor, it doesn't speak well for the reputation of this property. It certainly cannot be considered world class with the current management structure.

I should hope that the current owners of the Post Ranch Inn take note of these reviews as there seems to be a trend here.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!