“Best hotel on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best hotel on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is my favorite hotel on Earth. It is cozy yet elegant. It is peaceful and beautiful. The service is unparalleled. It is expensive, but it's worth it. We go there every year, and we always have an amazing time. I recommend renting a treehouse!

Room Tip: Rent a treehouse!
Green Features: This hotel is very "green." It's one of the things I love about it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Rosemary Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Post Ranch Inn is an amazing destination with first class customer service. And yes, expensive indeed. We stayed in a tree house that had great gulf views, amazing privacy, and amenities that included a full fridge restocked everyday with wine/cheese/snacks. We never left the resort, spent quite a bit of time in the infinity "hot" pools, hiking on the trails, and saving room for a great gourmet breakfast in the morning. The inn's restaurant has incredible 360' views of the ocean. This place is an adult escape-- I don't think they even allow children on site. You are whisked to your room in a Lexus and never have to touch your car keys once you arrive. Our tree house had a great wood burning fireplace and soaking tub. The Inn offers some interesting "spa" services such as Shaman sessions and fire rituals. Why not??!! First class, one of a kind, bucket list entry. Great place to have your soul get some rest and rejuvenate.

Room Tip: The Little house has a great balcony looking out to the mountains, the Hathaway treehouse has great...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

we stayed for 5 nights in the Ocean house located directly on the cliff, 800 feet above the Pacific. Incredible views, Incredible service, and exquisite gourmet dishes coupled with a great wine selection. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it---very expensive, yet the most romantic hotel in the continuous 48 states!!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean House
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

There seems to be a common theme running here. We booked the Cliff house SPECIFICALLY three months in advance. Bear in mind that the Post Ranch Inn shows and SPECIFICALLY prices their upper end accommodations - such as the Cliff House. It has a unique and SPECIFIC rate. The confirmation they sent us SPECIFICALLY showed the Cliff House. Upon our arrival and greeting us with smiles as they sat us down at the reception desk they proceeded to tell us that the Cliff House was not available. They stated that the current guest had decided to stay longer and that they had assigned us to another suite on property. I told them that was unacceptable, at which point they brought down the general manager who proceeded to tell us that there was nothing he could do and rambled on and on about needing to accommodate the other party. When I pointed out that we were the ones not being accommodated and pressed the issue he became obviously angry. He eventually had to release the Cliff House to us as he had no legal leg to stand on - all those SPECIFICS mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, it pretty much ruined what should have been a wonderful experience.

We have stayed in hotels all over the world including hots ranked in the top 10 in the world and have never experienced this before. Also, in those cases we have been asked to initial when our check out date is acknowledging that we have the property until that date.

It became apparent that there was much more at work here. Whether it was infatuation with celebrity status on the GMs part or some other unknown factor, it doesn't speak well for the reputation of this property. It certainly cannot be considered world class with the current management structure.

I should hope that the current owners of the Post Ranch Inn take note of these reviews as there seems to be a trend here.

• Stayed June 2013
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Post Ranch is one of the most expensive hotels that we have ever stayed in. The dinner was over priced & the staff seemed put off because we did not want to spend $250.00 on a bottle of wine. We stayed in a Tree House room & it just didn't work for us. They are a weird design, have very dated finishes & furnishings & seemed more like a gimmick than a unique idea. On the other hand, the staff & location are incredible.

Room Tip: Spring for an ocean view but don't eat dinner there. Save your $500.00 for dinner without the vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spectacular views, we stayed for one night on our way to santa barbara. Extremely pricey but the room was amazing. Room did smell a bit like smoke, but thats to be expected with a fireplace in the room I guess, and it did contribute to the "camping" feel of it. We had a wonderful experience with the staff at the hotel and even got a couples massage in the room. They have a fleet of hybrid lexus RX's to shuttle people to and from their rooms which was cool. Our only complaint was the restaurant..WAY overpriced and the hostess seemed bothered when we asked to move to a table closer to the window, it was our honeymoon!! (restaurant view is pretty amazing). Don't get me wrong the food was delicious, but the prices cannot be justified in my opinion. There was a $120 tasting menu, or you could order a la carte but each appetizer was $28 and the main dishes were $55 (it was the best chicken i think i've had...but for $55 I expect the best chicken i've ever had)

Room Tip: do more than one day at this place to really enjoy the area and surroundings
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

If you were to read my review of my last stay at Post Ranch you would no doubt have an idea that this hotel was held in high regard by my partner and I. Unfortunately on this occasion I cannot share the same thoughts.

With busy schedules we often have to plan such holidays well in advance. This was no exception, as we reserved our favourite room at Post Ranch 10 months in advance.

However, a few weeks before we were due to travel, we received quite an impersonal and falsely apologetic email from a member of staff telling us that due to the hotel being block booked by an individual that they could no longer accommodate us on our last night. They did however offer to compensate us with one complimentary night and dinner. After an email detailing our disappointment they offered to pay for us to stay in another hotel on the night we had to move.

The member of staff would not even take responsibility, instead blaming it on a management decision. Why therefore did a member of management not contact us personally ?

Upon our arrival there was no mention or note of our inconvenience and we spent our entire time there feeling unwelcome.

Upon checkout we were charged for the complimentary nights stay and dinner and had to embarrass ourselves further by asking for this to be rectified. This is very poor service from a hotel which sets itself out to be so much more. I did not feel that we ever received a genuine apology. Sometimes in hospitality it is the small but genuine efforts that are made to rectify problems that affects the customer experience.

The hotel itself was, as it always is, beautiful, peaceful, calm and relaxing. If not for our experience from the outset we would have done just so. I note the modernisation of the fireplace and the air conditioning.

The food offered in Sierra Mar is not what it used to be. It is placed at a very high price point but does not meet such standards. On one evening I ordered a beet dish which came with a large slice of orange rind which should never have made it to the plate. My dessert for this meal was nothing more than a small piece of almond tart with an inset raspberry and a scoop of sorbet. This is first week in pastry school kind of fare and not to be found on a $120 set course menu. How could chef let such things leave his kitchen ?

Overall I have rated Post Ranch, this time, on wether I would return. But this I feel was our third and final stay here.

It is a long way to travel from Ireland to be told there is no more room at the Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your most recent stay. I would like to express my sincere apology and I regret your experience did not live up to your previous visit.

We understand this was a very rare situation and for over two decades we have demonstrated our value for every past, current, and potential guest in every opportunity possible. It was my understanding we made an authentic effort to remedy this unusual situation as we’re aware of the stress and disruption this may have caused you. Well before your arrival date, our Reservations Manager, offered you an apology, a complimentary night stay as well as dinner for two and accommodations in Beverly Hills prior to your departure back home.

I am grateful you chose Post Ranch as your destination for your most recent vacation and we would appreciate an opportunity to redefine this last nonconforming visit and gain back your loyalty. I will reach out to you privately.

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!