“Truly beyond our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brandon, Canada
“Truly beyond our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our visit to the Post Ranch Inn was one that we will forever treasure! We had the most beautiful and unique rooms I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The view was breathtaking and frankly I didn't want to leave. My spa treatment was fantastic and I felt one with nature and at peace. The restaurant was marvellous, with spectacular views. We dined there for breakfast each morning and enjoyed dinner there a few nights as well. We also had a fantastic meal at Deetjens. The staff at Post Ranch are very gifted in making you feel at home and welcomed. They greet you with a glass of bubbly and whisk you away in their Lexus SUVs to your amazing chalet (or treehouse). I hope to return in the near future!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

683 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been coming to the PRI since they opened in the early 90's, and over the years, it only gets better and better. From the moment you check in to the moment you leave, every comfort is thought through and taken care of: wine in the fridge, snacks and fruit replenished daily, fire ready to light twice a day, lovely music, privacy, quiet, and luxury personified. This spot makes for an incredibly expensive getaway, but it is worth every cent. The views, the food and wine in Sierra Mar, the infinity pools, the rooms, the gardens, the spa, and the amazing service all have to be experienced to be believed. Add in jaw-dropping hiking and whale-watching while you are at it. We were here for Valentine's Day, and we were greeted by a chilled bottle of rose when we returned from our hike, as well as a red rose and chocolates at night- lovely! Two days at the Post Ranch are better than a week anywhere else in the world- we travel a lot, and I mean it- better than anywhere. My new goal is to stay for a week!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Simply stunning & sublime describes the Big Sur coast and the Post Ranch Inn.
There is a Big Sur aesthetic of the predominance of nature and the artistic culture that flourishes there.
Post Ranch Inn not only has the unsurpassed views of nature with the ocean, coastline, mountain views and wildlife (deer, wild turkeys and raptors are guaranteed “sightings”) it also showcases the artistic with monumental sculptures and an inspired collection of architectural elements that make up the structures themselves. The interiors cement the whole with every detail considered and every amenity you could think of.
Our bellman said that some guests have been known to burst into tears when being shown their accommodations because they are overawed.
The Inn is run with a sense of stewardship & history and it is a privilege to feel a part of it however briefly. Each room has wonderful books that are fascinating.
A magical experience with no sleight of hand involved. The staff are attentive & kind. They really are an essential part of the whole. British understatement - "we had the best time".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in the Post Ranch Inn in January. I've wanted to visit this hotel for many years and so a trip to California coincided with enough time to drive up to Big Sur.
I was not disappointed - in fact, Post Ranch Inn exceeded my expectations on so many levels.

The staff at reception are lovely. A glass of champagne and a red wine for my husband made us relax the minute we walked through the door. Perfect!

We were in one of the Coast rooms. The view was literally to die for. I have travelled the world and stayed in some of the most amazing places but when I realised I could see whales spouting water, I was just even more entranced. The ocean views are unparalleled. I couldn't stay at the hotel and not have the full ocean view!

There are so many beautiful touches at the Post Ranch Inn that it is hard to list them all. It was my birthday so there was a bottle of champagne left in my room for me with a card. Beautiful touch! We also absolutely loved the water bottles in our room. Another thoughtful touch. I could go on and on but really, you should just go there and experience it for yourself!

I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days at the resort after reading a favourable review in a Travel Magazine. Upon check in, we were blown away by the property; the well manicured gardens, the bautiful views and the creative architecture. We entered our room (one of the tree houses), and the first thing I did was call the front desk to see if we could stay an additional 2 nights (we were only going to stay for 3 nights, and then head down to LA, but after catching a glimpse of this place, I knew that 3 nights would not be enough), and they were able to accommodate (we moved to a different room, and it was fun to switch it up). The rooms are impeccable and the views offered are incredible; too sun/moon-roof was a nice touch and gave us something to gaze into as we drifted off to bed in the uber comfortable bed. The 'fire-ready' fireplace (honestly, throw in one match and within 10 seconds you have a roaring fire) was a nice touch and we lit the fire every evening. The stocked fridge (wine, chocolate, almonds, organic juices, etc.) was replaced twice a day (even on days when we went on hikes and pretty much emptied it out before leaving) free of charge, and this was a nice bonus. The rooms and layout are very private and allowed for a very romatic week. The infinite hot tubs with incredible views were amazing and a great way to end off a day hiking or a long meal at the fantastic restaurant on site.
The spa treatments were fantastic, but I was put off by the fact that for one of our treatments, we arrived 15 minutes late due to circumstances beyond our control (they were cleaning our room and we had to wait to get in to get changed before our treatments) and explained our situation, but they cut 15 minutes off our treatment time and had NOBODY booked after us. I think that when you are investing so much in a resort and something like this happens (for which they can accommodate), they should be flexible and understanding. Regardless, this is a very small point and did not steal away from the overal experience, which was fantastic.
We used the fitness center and swam in the pool and were satsified with these amenities as well. The walking trails on the resort were also fun for a pre-dinner hike as it stimulated a healthy appetite.
We will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Try the treehouses if it is your first time! If you are celebrating something special, make sure you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We just left Post Ranch Inn, on our way back to San Francisco and I had to write this review on the ride home because I can't get this beautiful experience out of my head. First of all the staff was the most genuinely caring and considerate staff I have ever encountered, especially Eugene Jauregui the Front Desk Representative. He was so charming and accommodating to our every want and need without hesitation. The personal attention that he gave to us was spectacular. We are two insanely picky, very well traveled men and we have never experienced such perfection as we did at Post Ranch. The property has unsurpassed beauty from the sprawling ocean side views on one side to majestic mountain views on our other. The Ocean view cabin on the cliff was everything a man could dream to experience. Watching the sunset from the infinity pool next to our cabin was life changing. Every detail of the cabin was designed to perfection. Wood, concrete and glass with metal was in complete harmony with nature. The cliff side restaurant was not only visually stunning but was also 5 star dining. We sat on the deck listening to the waves crash below while we sipped on amazing cocktails awaiting our meal. We had trout tartar with crispy skin, an heirloom beet salad to start and for our main course we had the big sur chanterelle risotto and yellowtail tuna. It was everything! A true culinary feast. The staff was inviting , personable and knowledgeable which we appreciate. It is by far the best experience we have ever had traveling be it across the globe or a long weekend down the coast. I know the saying goes, I left my heart in San Francisco but I think my heart just found new digs. Bravo and Thank You Post Ranch and your wonderful staff. George Falcon and James Mackey

• Stayed February 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is, no doubt, a stunning resort. However! Don't expect special treatment, even when you book months in advance and are willing to spend $2,600 per night for the best rooms. This review is mostly for those who are coming here to celebrate a significant event-- and after our experience, it’s probably not a good idea to try and coincide this with a holiday.

It seems romantic to choose a small Hotel for a wedding. However, after years of experience you realize that when the chips are down certain well known, large Hotel groups fall over themselves to fix your problems and smaller Hotels have the potential to leave you out in the cold to dry. Sadly the Post Ranch Inn fits the latter description.

We had booked here to renew our vows and requested one of their newest,Ocean Front rooms. We had stayed at The Post Ranch Inn five times prior. We loved the place. On check in I realized they had given us the wrong room type and mentioned it, but wasn’t too worried as I had booked the best room overlooking the ocean-- and they assured me that I would love the room they were going to allocate to us.

We checked in at 10.30 am and I felt as we were so early, that they would definitely get us into the right type of room as the day progressed. No one came to find us on the property to say otherwise. As this is a small resort they could have tracked us down to let us know how things were going, so we assumed all was well.

We went to get our keys at four. We did not end up with what we thought we had booked. Although I had booked a newer room we ended up with an older one. I needed to get unpacked and organized as the next day we had a wedding to get on with, so I was really quite upset. All our photos were to be in the newer room with a balcony. We went to see the front desk to ask what had happened and they assured us that by tomorrow they would have the right room, which wasn’t a great help as I couldn’t unpack!

What you need to do here is actually reserve the exact room you want which really means a prior visit a year before the actual event.

While waiting for the room we had lunch. We waited two hours to get our main course. During this time a waiter dumped an ice bucket over us (and also the guests next to us)-- and only a brief apology was made. We had sat down at 1.00 and I finally left without eating at 3.00, it would be dark in two hours, and I wanted to enjoy the property.

We were going to eat that evening at the restaurant Sierra Del Mar (a lovely spot) but as no real apology about the room or lunch was forthcoming and as much as it would be a huge hassle for us, we decided to go down to the desk and discuss the possibilities of checking out and rebooking at another time. We were genuinely worried. There were several other weddings on the same weekend, it was very busy and the Hotel seemed 'off' in general. Our event did coincided with a holiday and The Post Ranch could have been overwhelmed, however this is an intimate and very expensive resort and you really do need to know they are interested in the welfare of their guests during their stay!

The lovely front desk manager persuaded us not to leave and assured us we would have the correct room by at least 2.00 the next day. This was pushing it as the ceremony was at 4.00! All of these arrangements had been booked through the Post Ranch yet they seemed to have no understanding how the coordination of a wedding works. How can you have only two hours to both unpack and prepare?

The next morning when we had breakfast; it was unusual to observe that there was no one clearing your table or coming over to ask if you needed anything, it was totally self service, which is not how it had been in the past. After breakfast my husband went to check on the progress of our new room and was then told it may not be available at all??? Seriously?!

At this point we decided to see the GM so we could discuss the situation.

The GM was rude and abrasive. He was completely unaware that we had a wedding planned and basically told us to leave. We were absolutely astonished. He said that we were difficult and the staff was worried that they couldn’t do anything right for us! I explained that not getting the right room in the beginning, having water and ice spilled on us at lunch, then waiting two hours for lunch to arrive and having no help at all at breakfast was not in fact ‘being difficult’! In fact these were things that were the Hotel’s responsibility to get right or make amends for and at no point had we even made a big fuss about any of these events! Interestingly, unlike larger hotel groups, there was absolutley no loyalty from him regarding our past five stays with The Post Ranch.

We explained that leaving at this point would obviously be a huge inconvenience and totally ruin our occasion! If we were going to leave it would have been the day before, as discussed. We would have had to cancel the ceremony, flowers etc and all that goes with renewing vows. We were horrified. He then started making wild accusations, accusing us of having six people in our room and numerous guests coming that were not allowed for. We booked for five and that’s who was coming! It showed this on the records at the hotel. Really quite a bizarre situation.

Finally the GM moved us to another room, absolutely not the type we had booked. Although it did have a view, it was not intimate at all; it was the top floor of a very large unit with no charm. At this point we just dealt with it.

The wedding was lovely; thank goodness for the person who performed the ceremony, she was fabulous-- as were the flowers and the photographer. At no point did anyone from the management call to see if we needed anything and when we left no inquires were made as to if we had enjoyed the ceremony, or indeed were any apologies ever made.

Instead of lingering, we left early the next day, we had been looking forward to the idea of relaxing on the beautiful property, this was now quite impossible. So many other criteria that shape a hotel are just as important as location: in this case the lack of compassion and an 'out of touch' GM tainted what should have been a unique and happy experience at what used to be, a wonderful and attentive establishment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!