“One of the best hideaways in the USA” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
new york city
“One of the best hideaways in the USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was a place I really wanted to visit for a night, given that it has been #1 on the Andrew Harper members' list of favourite hideaways in the USA. So I had high expectations -- and they were fulfilled. My upper pacific suite was beautiful in its architecture and it had all the goodies I would expect. OK, so no TV but you can walk to a pavillion with a TV in it and they give you 1,000 channels of satellite radio. So imagine me sitting in my private jacuzzi on my terrace overlooking the ocean watching the sunset while the presidential debate was going on and they are talking about the nation's poor economy -- a bit surreal, yeah. Dinner was excellent and I found the dining room very accommodating, and breakfast was also very good. The views from the dining room are stunning during the day. There was stargazing at night with an astronomer and a telescope; been a long time since I saw so many stars. The spa treatment was also very good and it is a nice setting looking out over the mountains. Walking around the property is really special; there is this "bird's nest" overlooking a pond with a beautiful view of the mountains and you can climb up inside and be totally at peace. I'd go back just to sit in the bird's nest for a few hours by myself or with that special someone (a great place to pop the question for instance). The hammocks and infiniti pool at the end of the line of cottages provide stunning settings to relax. Service was friendly, accommodating and not at all uppity. The gym was OK but less than I was expecting -- I guess they expect everyone to be so exercised out just by walking around that the gym is superfluous but I do like a gym anyway. Expect to do a lot of walking here up and down hill. You can be driven around by them but this is not a place to enjoy if you are not in decent physical condition to be able to walk around by yourself. It gets really dark at night and if you are creeped out by being in a solitary place at night, then bring a friend or a security team or make sure to get a cottage close to the dining room. I flew out of Monterey airport which is about 50-60 minutes drive from the hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

630 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were recommended to this place by guest at a hotel in Las Vegas, they said it was pretty special and they were not wrong. this has to be one of the best locations i have ever stayed at. everything about the place is class and if you can afford the rates it is a must do place. i cant praise this highly enough. great food in resturant also.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Staying here is like being transported into a different life zone where you lose yourself in the utter tranquillity and beauty of the place. It has an understated style that just lets the beautiful surroundings of Big Sur take priority. For instance even small things like the slate colour of the towels blend into the surroundings. Top 3 pleasures for me were the views, the infinity pools and the most amazing beds. It is like climbing into a fairy tale princess bed – they are quite high and super comfortable. The atmosphere rubs off on all the guests. Everyone smiles and says hello. Lots of travellers on Trip Advisor say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I massively agree. You won’t want to leave. I also recommend reading up on the history of the place (you get books provided in the room) – it gives perspective on why the hotel itself and the service is so good. My only suggestion would be to try a change of scene from the very refined ‘haute cuisine’ hotel restaurant. The other restaurants nearby have similar views but are much less expensive and the hotel will even give you a lift. I also think paying a little more for ocean views was worth it as a big hit for me was the really impressive ocean view - not the moutain view.It’s expensive but I felt it was worth every penny or rather cent.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The place is beautiful. The setting is spectacular and staff charming BUT we stayed in an ocean view suite and at a premium of $1685 it was dark cramped and frankly not worth the money. I had a fabulous room at the Cipriani in Venice for the same money. I know it is a completely different experience but I don't want to spend top dollar to stay in Uncle Tom's cabin Paying a fortune to pretend I am on a budget is just not my style. Next time I will try Ventana Inn.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here chose a mountain room It is a lovely view it's a larger room and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place is truly heaven on earth. This was our third visit. This time we stayed 3 nights in a cliff house. The room was huge with magnificent views of the ocean from every room and the hot tub. The service from the front desk to the cleaning staff was friendly, courteous and efficient. The grounds are very well maintained and a pleasure to stroll through. The only drawback is that it is very expensive, but by the same token well worth the splurge for the best views and service. The food and service in the restaurant "Sierra Mar" was also superb. We will return, but this time we would like to try one of the Tree House rooms.

Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We came here for four days and stayed in the mountain room. Room was dark very little lights terrible closet space tub difficult to get into and out. Restaurant had subpar food. Service at the pool was exceptional. View was only accessible at restaurant and hot tubs. Very expensive for not a lot of great views of the water.

Room Tip: We saw ocean room extremely tight and dark for the price. Our upper mountain room with view of mount...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
curlycue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon weekend at the PRI ten years ago and it was perfect. We went back this past weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. With a gift certificate and only one night to spend we blew it plus a few hundred more on a cliff house - private deck with Ocean View.

Well, we saw the ocean for a few minutes upon check in and in the morning the fog was so heavy we couldn't see a thing. The room is approx. $2200 for one night and that doesn't include all the tax and fees. Now I realize we didn't get the best weather but that doesn't often happen in this part of California.

Dinner at the Sierra Mar was very nice - we thought the food was good - also expensive but we enjoyed drinks on the deck and experienced good service.

So I have only this to say - even the non-view rooms are about $1,000 per night. We've decided at these rates, we've had enough of the PRI for a long, long time. I think these people need to rethink their rates as it relates to return business.

We really do like the place but at some point, it just gets ridiculous to spend that amount of money.

Room Tip: I actually found I preferred the little Tree Houses to the fancy Cliff House.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!