“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scarsdale, New York
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We came here for four days and stayed in the mountain room. Room was dark very little lights terrible closet space tub difficult to get into and out. Restaurant had subpar food. Service at the pool was exceptional. View was only accessible at restaurant and hot tubs. Very expensive for not a lot of great views of the water.

Room Tip: We saw ocean room extremely tight and dark for the price. Our upper mountain room with view of mount...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

628 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
curlycue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon weekend at the PRI ten years ago and it was perfect. We went back this past weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. With a gift certificate and only one night to spend we blew it plus a few hundred more on a cliff house - private deck with Ocean View.

Well, we saw the ocean for a few minutes upon check in and in the morning the fog was so heavy we couldn't see a thing. The room is approx. $2200 for one night and that doesn't include all the tax and fees. Now I realize we didn't get the best weather but that doesn't often happen in this part of California.

Dinner at the Sierra Mar was very nice - we thought the food was good - also expensive but we enjoyed drinks on the deck and experienced good service.

So I have only this to say - even the non-view rooms are about $1,000 per night. We've decided at these rates, we've had enough of the PRI for a long, long time. I think these people need to rethink their rates as it relates to return business.

We really do like the place but at some point, it just gets ridiculous to spend that amount of money.

Room Tip: I actually found I preferred the little Tree Houses to the fancy Cliff House.
PJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Heaven on earth - up in the hills, magnificent views whichever way you look. Great service, the nicest people everywhere you go - restaurants, reception, cleaners etc. Landscaping around the resort was also pretty and so pleasing to the eye. And getting around was no problem if you had problems walking around – transport in luxurious Lexus vehicles was easily and efficiently available and you got this service, always with a smile. Meal were also really top notch - a tad expensive for small portions but delicious and really fine dining where portions were manageable. I took many many photos as I revelled in the atmosphere. Every day's sleep was so restful with facilities that were really nearly the best. At night you could have a fire that was quite safely set in a covered recess in the wall. The only problem was the bath tub which presented quite a problem as we tried to step in for a shower. The edges were rather broad and with such sharp edges you really had to be careful. And, without a separate shower facility, this presented problems in daily showers.

As I said I took many photos of this beautiful resort, but somehow I lost heart and I am truly not in the mood to paste the photos! We had an experience that sort of robbed me of all the beautiful experiences. On our last night, at 3.45 am we were rudely awakened by the fire alarm. Imagine how frightening this can be in the quiet of the night, with no one else nearby and the fire alarm was loud, very loud. First of all, we had to check around to make sure that nothing was on fire! We expected that someone would contact us soon to check on the situation. NO ONE DID!! Then we rang the reception and just about every number available there. There was no response – finally after about 20 minutes of frenzied ringing here and there someone picked up the phone and said it was a cable problem and it was being fixed. a feeble apology was offered. It occurred to us then that it took our call to get them moving and that no one had called us to check if everything was okay. How dangerous can that be? Imagine a real life situation when there is a fire and no one from the main office or security is aware of it!

As anyone can imagine, going back to sleep after that was near impossible and when that did happen, it was certainly not a restful sleep. It is interesting though that after that, no one even mentioned what happened as we checked out. It was as if it had not happen and there were no apologies or anything – as what would be the norm in such a traumatic experience. The only one who said anything and that too was as a result of our comment, was the driver who picked up our luggage and noticed we looked restless. He explained that it was a wiring problem. And that was it! Amazing indifference. and it sort of sucks considering the price we paid for the rooms!

Anyway, to add insult to injury shortly after, I emailed the website mentioning this incident – as a reason for us not picking up the free gifts of water bottles. I also mentioned that in the aftermath of the incident, my husband left his spectacles there. i was sort of hoping that they would try to look for it and get in touch with us. we had such an experience once at the Montage of LA with my camera and they actually posted it to us after they called back to say it had been found. But nor Post Ranch Inn. I can now confirm that the indifference towards the whole incident must be a resort attitude. My daughter who booked the rooms for us told us of a similar incident earlier on when she had emailed the site and they had not responded at all. So what does this tell you? While my impression of the resort will not change, I will certainly not go back there again because of the hypocrisy of the service – by which I mean, really they do not care I guess once your booking and their business have been secured. After all they have such fabulous sites – so why bother to go that extra mile when it is needed! What a shame but I am sure there are other equally fabulous resorts along that stretch with perhaps a better attitude towards guests, before, during and after their stays.

Room Tip: Every room is good depending on you budget and whether you like the mountain views or the ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don't stay in this hotel if you ever want to enjoy another hotel again. Absolute perfection from arriving with a glass of champagne to the meal at Sierra Mar. It proved to be the perfect retreat for our honeymoon. Every little detail was thought through, we received a bottle of champagne in the room with a welcoming card which contained California wild flower seeds, a jar of homemade cookies, complimentary refreshments in the fridge. The treehouse we stayed in had a view over the Pacific Ocean, which has got to be the best view in the world! We could go on and on and on about how perfect this place is, loved every minute of it, Post Ranch Inn definitely made our honeymoon special.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I blew the budget to say here for three nights as part of our honeymoon road trip along the California coast. I had tears in my eyes when we left. To echo all the other positive reviews, expect awesome views, tranquility, and exceptional service. We were warmly greeted with champagne at check-in before being driven with our bags using the on-site Hybrids to the Brazil treehouse. We booked the romance package which included champagne (and glasses with the PRI logo to take home) in the room, two four course meals at Sierra Mar (the onsite restaurant) and two massages. The food was exceptional; with the wagu steak and chocolate carmel shortbread highlights. The Napa wine, delicious. Breakfast was plentiful with house-made ganola and jams, and included in the price. Our massages were among the best we've ever had.
We loved the complimentary daily restocked mini bar of snacks, especially the jar of fresh cookies. I'm still dreaming of them!
We saw deer, wild turkeys, woodpeckers around our room, like a Disney movie. Sitting on our balcony looking into the forest was so tranquil. I took two yoga classes in the yurt and we enjoyed the infinity pool all to ourselves one morning. All of the staff were fantastic especially reception and every other guest we met was friendly and raving about the place too.

Leaving was the only downside - and not being able to justify the cost of one of their super soft rugs (in the room but on sale in the gift shop). I am desperate to return already. Do not hesitate to stay. As it says above, it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were in the Brazil treehouse and it was quiet and utterly amazing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently enjoyed a fabulous lunch experience at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, California. Not only was the food amazing, but the service was super, only to be surpassed by the truly amazing view from the top of the Big Sur bluffs. If you find yourself in the Big Sur area, just an hour outside of Monterey/Carmel, this is a treat not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Do not stay here if you ever want to be happy at another hotel again. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Post Ranch in for two nights and I literally can not think of a single thing that was not perfect. We stayed in one of the newer cliff houses, and the view and decor were incredible (without being ostentatious). The staff was professional and went out of their way to meet our every need. The breakfast was delicious, and the spa was lovely. The Post Ranch Inn is most definitely a splurge, but one that is worth it! We may have to save up to go back, but we will gladly do so :)

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, carefully consider what is important to you (view, solitude,cost) and consult...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!