“The best hotel I have ever stayed at. Worth every penny” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, England
“The best hotel I have ever stayed at. Worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I blew the budget to say here for three nights as part of our honeymoon road trip along the California coast. I had tears in my eyes when we left. To echo all the other positive reviews, expect awesome views, tranquility, and exceptional service. We were warmly greeted with champagne at check-in before being driven with our bags using the on-site Hybrids to the Brazil treehouse. We booked the romance package which included champagne (and glasses with the PRI logo to take home) in the room, two four course meals at Sierra Mar (the onsite restaurant) and two massages. The food was exceptional; with the wagu steak and chocolate carmel shortbread highlights. The Napa wine, delicious. Breakfast was plentiful with house-made ganola and jams, and included in the price. Our massages were among the best we've ever had.
We loved the complimentary daily restocked mini bar of snacks, especially the jar of fresh cookies. I'm still dreaming of them!
We saw deer, wild turkeys, woodpeckers around our room, like a Disney movie. Sitting on our balcony looking into the forest was so tranquil. I took two yoga classes in the yurt and we enjoyed the infinity pool all to ourselves one morning. All of the staff were fantastic especially reception and every other guest we met was friendly and raving about the place too.

Leaving was the only downside - and not being able to justify the cost of one of their super soft rugs (in the room but on sale in the gift shop). I am desperate to return already. Do not hesitate to stay. As it says above, it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were in the Brazil treehouse and it was quiet and utterly amazing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently enjoyed a fabulous lunch experience at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, California. Not only was the food amazing, but the service was super, only to be surpassed by the truly amazing view from the top of the Big Sur bluffs. If you find yourself in the Big Sur area, just an hour outside of Monterey/Carmel, this is a treat not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Do not stay here if you ever want to be happy at another hotel again. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Post Ranch in for two nights and I literally can not think of a single thing that was not perfect. We stayed in one of the newer cliff houses, and the view and decor were incredible (without being ostentatious). The staff was professional and went out of their way to meet our every need. The breakfast was delicious, and the spa was lovely. The Post Ranch Inn is most definitely a splurge, but one that is worth it! We may have to save up to go back, but we will gladly do so :)

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, carefully consider what is important to you (view, solitude,cost) and consult...
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed in a tree house for 2 nights during our drive down the Pacific Coast Hwy. I planned the week around when a room here was available since I’d had PRI on my list for years.
I would’ve booked an ocean view had one been available. Well, maybe. I didn’t see any prices since none were available at the time. The $1000 per night tree house we had made me wonder what an ocean view would cost. At check-in they offered to look for upgrades and said none were available.

The service (not counting Sierra Mar restaurant) was certainly a cut above! As is the location of the resort in general. However, for the most part, we felt cut off from the stunning Pacific ocean views that were our favorite aspect of the resort. Ocean views can be seen from the restaurant during daylight and from the 2 little heated plunge pools—one at each end of the resort. And from the ocean view rooms of course. The main pool is off in the valley with no ocean view. Since we rose each morning before breakfast started, we made coffee in our room and walked down to a heated pool to watch the sunrise and see breathtaking views. Hikes on the property did not take us to water views either as we had hoped.

Between hikes, massages and a shaman experience in the yurt behind the pool, we sort of ran into the realization last minute that food is not available 24/7. We were scheduled with activities on the property from noon to four, yet lunch didn’t start in the restaurant or via room service until 12 or 12:15. So we went from an 8 am. breakfast buffet to a 6pm dinner by raiding the mini bar. I think I read somewhere that you can pre order a picnic lunch--but not in time to do it.

Dinner at Sierra Mar was the exception to the wonderful service we had otherwise. We made our reservation months in advance with the room as recommended. I’d say get there early enough to watch the sun set for an hour—since the view was the best part in our opinion. Service was really, really slow and drawn out. The restaurant was at half capacity during our 6-8pm experience so this was not the reason. The food was good, not exceptional. We were asked midway through if we were staying in the area?? The beverages were the problem! The 3 beverages we ordered off the menu (a pinot noir, and 2 separate rum drinks) were all unavailable for different reasons. The only bad part about that was that each successive request for a drink, which was ultimately not available, was drawn out so long, totaling 40 minutes before I realized I was just having water. Waters were not refilled until we asked. And we saw the guy next to us asking for water refills too while checking his watch.

The tree house was fine but not our favorite. The deck with 2 chairs was extremely peaceful. The carpet was a little dirty, the shower/tub combo would be lethal getting in and out of for anyone not agile. There wasn’t much lighting in the bathroom and no door to close off the shower from the nearby entry and rest of the room. No central air, we had a mini heat wave while there and the room did stay cool enough though. No black out potential for the higher windows letting in moonlight above the bed.

There’s not much of a spa—treatments were encouraged to be in-room. It was a little crowded for both of us but it worked.

We loved the way many employees live on the property and seem to take pride in it. If we give it another try someday, we'll certainly look for a pacific view room with an outdoor tub.

Room Tip: Pacific view with an outdoor tub.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and i visited for an anniversary-birthday getaway. Easily one of the most spectacular resorts we have ever had the good fortune to visit.
First, it's very expensive - let's get that out of the way. But if you are going to indulge at this level, I can't imagine the dollars going futher than this. The staff - from desk agents to housekeeping - is warm, welcoming, and responsive. Eash "room" is really a free-standing, roomy unit, many with fireplaces and spa tubs, all with incredible, incredible views. We could just sit our deck and gaze at the ocean for hours over the pinot noir and chardonnay that was graciously provided. The decor is singular and blends harmoniously with the environment. The spa and fadilities are in keeping with the entire mood of the place which comprises peace and astounding natural beauty. The restaurant is like a glass cube perched in a cloud and the food and wine list are five-star. We never wanted to leave and for three gorgeous days of quiet and repose, we didn't have to. Take someone you love and leave the world behind!

Room Tip: The rooms are all different and all special. use the website to understand the layouts and then spen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I share the same birthday and we try to make it up to Post Ranch for the special occasion every year. We always look forward to our stay as well as the drive up to Big Sur. The views, spa, hot tubs and the staff never disappoint. The food at Sierra Mar is good but not out of this world...I think the highlight of dining at Sierra Mar is really for the view, which is second to none.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I spent our 10th wedding Anniversary at Post Ranch. We stayed two nights. The staff was exemplary, our "tree house" was tasteful, clean and peaceful. The view allowed us a lovely glance at the ocean through the elegant tall pines. We walked endlessly around the property, enjoyed the amenities and had a fabulous dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. We felt completely relaxed in the embrace of civilized nature!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!