“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We found The Post Ranch Inn by accident, how fortunate was that !!! A hillbilly type at a gas station down the road (who wanted to talk, especially when he found I was from England), said "where yu headin" , I said Carmel. He said, "Aw shucks don't go ther, thats a City !" I said, " Where do you recomend ", He said "Look out fer the Post Ranch Inn".
I was not expecting what I found !!!
Other reviews say it all, so there is no need to say it again. We have stayed in every kind of 'establishment' all over the world, from a mud hut to the very best,
The Post Ranch Inn is up there with the best, we MUST return, wonderful, fantastic, a dream.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Marina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Post Ranch Inn exceeded my expectations! The service was phenomenal and the views were breathtaking. When I arrived on a surprise visit for Valentine's day I was greeted by a friendly staff who provided a very personal experience. They started the greeting process by offering beverages, when I asked if I could have a lime for my sparkling water, they sent it to my room before I arrived. The entire staff was very knowledgeable not only about the property but also about the Big Sur area. Although I arrived on a very busy weekend, every experience seemed very private. I hardly saw any other guests and almost never saw any staff members, making the experience all the more intimate. Every location on the property was well maintained with nothing out of place. One of the best parts of the resort, is the absence of televisions and distractions. Post Ranch Inn really allows couples to reconnect and focus on the importance of relaxation. This is by far the best resort I have ever visited and I will definitely return to this haven in Big Sur.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

First of all staying at this hotel was a difficult decision, as yes it is very expensive, however after buckling down and making the decision to stay there I believe it was worth every penny. I decided to stay in a tree house room, and was pleasantly surprised that I had both an ocean view and a mountain view. A few of the tree houses do have ocean views so you can request them. We tried to take in all that the hotel had to offer. The room itself was great, a reading nook with incredible ocean views out front, and a balcony overlooking the trees and mountains in the back of the tree house. A skylight above the bed to view the stars at night. The hotel's infinity soaking tubs overlooking the ocean are great, we were lucky to have to ourselves every time we went. The hotel is on over 100 acres, there are lots of trails to go on walks through the redwoods, we saw lots of deer and wild turkeys. One path leads through a meadow to the pool which also has amazing views to the surrounding mountains. The included breakfast is far beyond anything I have ever had at a hotel, delicious both mornings. The room is stocked with wines, champagne, cheese, crackers, organic juices, sodas, chocolates, nuts, chips, fresh fruit. Due to the large breakfast each morning, we chose to use the food provided in the room for our own wine and cheese reception each afternoon, which filled us up for lunch each day. The dinner at Sierra Mar is $110 per person, we decided to skip that, there are plenty of other great places to eat in town, but be warned, pretty much everything closes at 9:00. Our first night we had a late dinner, the only place still open was the Publick House Pub, casual with great sheppards pie. The second night we ate at the Big Sur Bakery, hands down the best food of our entire trip, the dinner was amazing! If you are deciding on whether or not to stay at the Post Ranch, I say go for it, It is the best place I have ever been, I know I will dream about it often.

Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was skeptical because of the high price, but left very satisfied. Stayed in an ocean view room and the tree house, both very unique.The service is top notch, they even loaned us a convertible lexus to drive down the coast. Beautiful property - brought a lot of peace to my hectic life.

Peterborough, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Originally booked for two nights - could not bear to leave so added a third (will worry about the credit card some other time). This is the most special place. A magical combination of stunning scenery, genuinely helpful staff (no throw away 'have a nice day' here) and good food.

A few nights at Post Ranch is worth two weeks at a venue of the same price. Can't wait to return.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Before arriving, I was a bit concerned about the "attitude" problem that a few negative reviewers here mentioned, especially as we stayed in one of the "cheaper" rooms (well, 650 dollars / night, but in PRI terms that is cheap). However, from the moment we arrived and till the moment we left, everything was perfection. The staff, the room, the service, the genuine effort to make our stay as perfect as possible. Our stay was brief, but when we left we felt we had gotten a week's worth of vacation. Restaurant was amazing too, both dinner, lunch and breakfast was prefect, and view was unbeatable.

One minor detail: if you book the butterfly rooms, walls are somewhat thin. We had relaxation music from what I guess was the spa underneath our room. I'm not gonna hold management against that, I'm sure they would have addressed it if we had complained, but I personally didn't mind. But if you are a light sleeper, consider upgrading to the treehouse rooms.

Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Drove the Big Sur marathon route before the race and saw yellow unbrellas through the green foliage and had to check it out. Post Ranch! We made late lunch reservations for after the marathon and are glad we drive back from Carmel to eat there. With fantastic views you do not need good food. But PRI restuarant has great dining selections. And the views from the seaside mountain side can not be duplicated. Drive down from SFO was about 2 1/2 hours so a good day trip for those visiting San Fran.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!