“Wonderful place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
You added Deetjen's Big Sur Inn to your Saves list
48865 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
West Sussex
“Wonderful place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We booked Deetjens over the phone some 4 months before our intended visit. There was no way to book online so we called the reservations line. The staff were really nice and very helpful. We received our booking confirmation by international post after 2 weeks. We arrived at Deetjens having been traveling for several days touring Sonoma and Nappa and we were looking forward to a few car-free days. We booked Castro's Cabin, and on arrival we were guided up through the woods to the back of Deetjens where the cabin nestles amongst some Californian Redwoods. Our cabin was small with a double bed, chest of drawers with a separate shower. It was all very comfortable and cosy.

Breakfasts at Deetjens really set you up for a days exploring Big Sur. Great choice and good value. The stack of blueberry pancakes were amazing. There's not much in the way of shops near Deetjens so I'd suggest getting provisions in en-route. We were very sorry to be leaving Deetjens having spent three nights in the relative isolation of our cabin.

The Cabins are relatively expensive, however staying at Deetjens is a fairly unique experience. There are no locks on the doors so we kept our valuables in our rental car overnight. Despite this, we felt very safe and encountered no problems whatsoever.

I would thoroughly recommend staying at Deeetjens, it's not only a great place to explore the Big Sur area, but a wonderful place to unwind with some good books and a few bottles of Sonoma's finest.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I liked the concept of Deetjean's, but not the reality. For nearly $200/night, the carpet should not be stained, the curtains and window screen should not be torn, the bedspread should not be dirty, and the mattress should not be lumpy and without a box spring. None of these things would cost very much to repair or replace, but have been neglected.

Those looking for peace and quiet should also look elsewhere--Deetjean's is located right on the highway and you will hear traffic from Hwy 1 all night long.

I grew up on the coast of Northern California and understand the concept of quaint country living, but this this hotel is not worth more than $100/night max.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed here with husband and 12 yr old daughter in the Antique apartment cabin and we loved it.
I liked the fact that all of the cabins are different, each with individual style-some small and cosy for couples, others like little houses suitable for larger families or groups.

The place was spotless, the service was good, and the food was absolutely excellant, both at dinner and at breakfast. Be aware that you can't add meals onto your room bill and have to pay for them all at the time they are taken.

I loved thewood burning stove ( although we didn't get the chance to use it in August), and loved falling asleep to the sound of the creek flowing in the nearby canyon.

It is in a great location on the coast with amazing views from a lookout on the hillside above the cabins.

My only criticism is that we could hear traffic on the road at night (other cabins may be quieter), and the walls were very thin so your neighbours can hear everything and vice versa!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We travelled to the Big Sur Inn from camping in Yosemite Parknand some of us were expecting a bit of slick modern luxury but that isn't what the Big Sur Inn about. It's a wonderful place where everything and every member of staff is individual. The rooms are lovely and the restaurant is unquestionably one of the best in the World. It is expensive but certainly not overpriced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We had two great nights at this incredible place and really enjoyed the peace and beauty. I would recommend it with this reservation - the accommodation will not be everyone's idea of heaven and it is a bit on the pricey side - so read the reviews carefully before deciding if it's for you. We had an idea of what to expect and it did not disappoint. The Champagne room was comfortable with a tiny WC / shower room and a wonderful wood burning stove (a necessity in May!). The restaurant was incredibly good with locally sourced food and great local wines. Best of all though was the feeling of tranquility, and of being part of a very special and magical place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Positive:
Rooms:lovely old room full of character and antiques. We stayed in Grandpa's room. It is really big, has a fire place and an old record player. It looks very cosy and romantic

Restaurant: Nice cosy restaurant with good food.

Not so good:
Staff: they think they are too cool for school. They do their job while on another cloud. They all look and act spaced out. Dont ask them for too much, I asked for an iron and it was like I had asked for a free nights stay

Rooms: OK you hear every single sound your neighbour makes and I mean EVERY single sound. There is NO privacy and I would NOT recommend this place for a romantic getaway with a lover if you know what I mean.

Price: Overall food and rooms are pricey

All in all it is OK but not too excited about Deetjens

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Went on a 24 night honey moon trip across the USA and we stayed 1 night in this hotel. It was recommended by my brother and I stayed in a cabin with a bathroom but no fireplace. It took a while to reserve as you cannot do it online, you have to call. My experience was that I had to call about 6 or 7 times in a row before I got through.

Overall the place is great, I have never stayed in a wooden cabin before so it was a great experience. We were so taken by the place when we arrived that I asked the girl at “reception” whether we could stay another night. I think the girl is called Hannah, she noted down our interest and said we would be told the next day whether we could stay an extra night.

The cabin we stayed in was an isolated little cabin right at the end of the property, it was very small with tiny bathroom and tiny double bed –this made it all the more cosy and enjoyable. In spite of this I have to confess that it was one of the worst nights that I have had. This is not the fault of the owners or the hotel, but due to constant rain smacking on the low roof and glass window in the ceiling which meant that I was continually woken up all through the night.

We had dinner in the restaurant, I had crab cakes and sea bass and my wife soup and pasta, I have to say that the pasta that my wife had was possibly one of the best pastas I have ever tried (and I’ve frequently been to Italy: Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples with my Michellin guide). The Restaurant in this place is great with an exceptionally romantic ambiance, and the lady that served us recommended a good and well priced red.

Alas, the next day we were told that we could not stay another night. The way we were told this was a bit strange as the man at “reception” could not find any notes that we had requested another night and had to slip away up some stairs to consult with someone and returned to say that we could not stay –it was a bit strange and added to my feeling that the place is a bit cultish or clique. Breakfast, by the way, was excellent, one of the best breakfasts I had in the US.

If you stay in Big Sur in another hotel I highly recommend the restaurant at Deetjen’s, I noticed lots of people who were having dinner where staying at other hotels.

Overall I would definitely recommend this place and would love to go back. If you can ignore the dottiness of the staff and take their absent mindedness as part of the experience (which I had no problem in doing) I am sure you will enjoy this place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!