“California Coastline Rustic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
48865 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“California Coastline Rustic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Your Inn located in a stand of California coastal redwoods, right next to the ocean, with cabins made in the 30's and 40's from redwood. You know it's special when you walk in your room and see the wood burning fireplaces and all of the wood and fire starter materials. Your room has everything you need, but it is definitely "low key". This is California history to live. You will pay some for the Big Sur Inn, but all of the coastal inns are pricey, but this is a truly different and enjoyable experience. Make reservations. All the rooms are different but special in their own way, and plan to go to bed with some wood on the fire and have a special night.

Make reservations at their restaurant when you reserve your room. Your dinner will be excellent, a bit pricey, but worth it. Your stay at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn will definitely be a memorable experience.
Enjoy.

Room Tip: Make a reservation in advance, and each of the rooms are very unique. You need to talk to the person...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you 'get' what Deetjens is, then you will like it a lot, though I suspect many people would not want to pay quite a lot for a night in a wooden cabin. (Though all accommodation on Big Sur is on a scale from pricey to bonkers.)
The cabin had most mod cons, except for TV and internet. The restaurant was very good, dinner and breakfast both excellent. And it's in such a beautiful location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The food was top of the line. Ambiance was immaculate. The server, however, did not seem interested in helping us at all. She rushed to take care of us (and it wasn't overly crowded) and wasn't overly friendly. Other than that, the restaurant was amazing and we would definitely go back! This also seems like a really nice Inn to stay at!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was travelling down the coast on a solo photography/backpacking trip and had booked one night in the Petite Cuisine room at Deetjen's. I have to say after reading all the reviews I didn't know what to expect. I had been to the Big Sur 20 years ago, but stayed in Carmel that time with my wife. This place totally exceeded my expectations. It was really one of the coolest places I have ever stayed at and had so much more character than a usual hotel room. It was a long flight from Boston and a long drive from SFO. When I got to the Big Sur it was just about sunset. With only so many sunsets available, I decided to do some photography before checking in. I checked in at 7:30pm as it was getting dark. The woman at the desk, Lydia I think, was very nice. I didn't eat in the restaurant since I had already grabbed a bite to eat on the road and went right to my room, so I can't rate that. This bed was awesome, so comfortable. The linens were of high quality too. The room was just the right size and so cozy. I had a few outlets to re-charge my camera and phone batteries, a bunch of journals to read to keep me busy. The bathroom and shower is down the hall. There were several other rooms on my floor, but I never saw another guest. There is also a bathroom downstairs, so I imagine if the upstairs bathroom was ever full, you could always go downstairs. The room was very clean and extremely comfortable. The shower and towels were great, but I hope I didn't wake anyone up at 5:30 am showering. I stashed some cash somewhere in this room so the next traveler can buy themselves a couple of drinks, but of course they'll have to find it first. Oh yeah, I don't know what the smell is out on the grounds, but it is awesome. I wish I could bottle it and take it home...is is redwood? cypress? I don't know, but it smells awesome! I hope to come back here soon with my wife and teenage sons. The cat was a nice touch as well. I have four at home and missed them, it was great to have one to hang out with for awhile. I felt bad that I left in the morning while it was still dark and didn't even check out, but I had a sunrise to catch further South. Can't wait until next time. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just book if you can! Such fun, great place. LOVED Granpa's room. Rare to get great room for 3 people but here I as the solo traveller had a cue nook. Old records, great visitors books and cosy atmosphere mean you hardly have to leave!

Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

What else can you call a handmade hotel other than interesting? No keys for the doors, no TV, no phone, no worries! Each room is unique. We stayed in the Lower Creek room. It was a little dark, and smelled of the smoke from the fireplace, but it was amazing. The bed was comfy and the room was spacious. The one drawback was the bathroom was outside of the room, though still in the cabin. Other recommendation, eat here too. Great restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Read their website to avoid any missteps when reserving a room.
Zurich/Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Over the years we have stayed in several places in Big Sur; Deetjen's surpassed our expectations. Rustic like the others, but definitely more cozy and clean (I especially liked the high quality bed linen and soft towels). We stayed in the "Little Room" with shared bathroom (because it was more affordable for us) and were quite happy with our choice (good value). It was a very relaxing and quiet stay; the next morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the restaurant (best pancakes ever). We are planning on returning on our next visit to Big Sur.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!