“Paradise in paradise.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
48865 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Big Sur
San Francisco, California, United States
“Paradise in paradise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of the most charming lodgings you could expect to stay in anywhere. Big Sur is a coastal strip just south of Monterey and Carmel, which are south of San Francisco.This coast is magnificent. On the property itself and nearby are redwood trees.

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
dallas, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My niece and I were traveling up Pacific Coast Highway 1 in April 2013 and we stayed just one night at the Deetjin Big Sur Inn. We had a upstairs room with a little Terrace. The room was so warm and beautiful you just felt cozy. The property had beautiful flowers and plants all around. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was really wonderful. I would love to have stayed longer but we were on our way up to Napa Valley. it's on my list to go back and spend a few days at this beautiful little place.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a terrace.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Second stay at Deetjens in the Top Antique room located upstairs from Grandpa's room. The room was very spacious with an extra twin bed in a separate small area. Lovely light and comfortable to hang out on the bed or read on the chairs. Bathroom has extremely low ceilings and hard to take a shower. The rooms a little close to the road than we would like but at night it's very quiet. Clean and decorated with old antique furnishing. You can hear the creek at night and Fabiola the cat may come visit.

Dinner and breakfast were both good. Bring your drink back to the room and check out a board game. Hike the trail behind the statue in the back, enjoy the luscious grounds and good hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Big Sur is one of my most favorite places on Planet Earth. I stayed in the tiniest room they had, upstairs in an old building with many rooms and shared bathroom. I felt like I would like to live there forever. It is quite a combination of very rustic and high quality. You must just peruse the photos and decide for yourself. I had a great meal in the dining room. Leisurely walk around the grounds. Even spied an eagle in the trees. Check out their website!

Room Tip: Decide your priorities before selecting a room. Some rooms are not so private but very charming.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
northeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Staying in this place is quite an experience. I think it may be one of my favorite accomodations ever. At least it's up there in the top ten. I personally loved the sheets which are real linen and the soft cotton towels and the crazy journal which are a lot of fun to read. It is very unique and rustic but still clean. We ate a delicious dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the waitresses were very pleasant.
Now for the bad part, I usually try to say mostly positive things about the places I review or just refrain from reviewing but I have to mention that the young woman who was handling the hotel and restaurant reservations was quite unpleasant. Maybe she was having a bad day or the dual job was too much for her but she may well be the rudest service staff I have ever encountered which was sad because I did like the hotel overall. I've seen other reviewers mention this so maybe it's a quality that Deetjen's, as a business, is cultivating, but the waitstaff was all very cheery so I think not.
In any case overall I'm glad we stayed there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Osos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Deejen's Big Sur Inn. We like to travel on a budget so we chose "The Little Room", the least expensive room in the place! We had to share a bathroom with a few other rooms (2 bathrooms for 5 rooms I think). This was not a problem at all, we never even saw any of the other people on our floor. Our neighbors were quiet so I guess we were lucky not to have noise issues. Even though it was called The Little Room, it was comfortable enough for us. There is a small library where you can sit and browse the books they have for guests. One of the things I loved about our stay was the abundance of beautiful plantings. Wisteria, Japanese maples, flowering pear, Banksia roses...and on and on. It was rustic and charming and delightful!

Room Tip: read the other reviews here to get a sense of the different options available.
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed this time in Lower Creek House and it does creak when the upstairs tenants arrive, but the building is charming inside and out. We had an open fire whenever we were in the inn. There was room enough to do yoga in front of the fire in the morning. The bed was very comfortable and all sorts of pleasant surprises await (poetry in a shell box for example). We enjoyed the restaurant; the price is quite reasonable for breakfast and the food is delicious. Dinner was a delightful splurge. The chef was inspired when he concocted the lamb dish. The other downside to Lower Creek House, besides its creakiness and lack of sound insulation is that the "private bathroom" requires crossing through the shared entry hall and the bathroom is so small, taking a change of clothes for after the shower is an option you might decide against. There is a big kitchen sink in the dining area. We enjoyed the loop trail behind the property and the buddhas and benches in the creek bed just outside Creek house. We'll be back to Deetjen's.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!