“A wonderful lifelong memory” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
You added Deetjen's Big Sur Inn to your Saves list
48865 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Big Sur
Raleigh
“A wonderful lifelong memory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

There are people that don't realize just how short it has been since we as humans lived without things that would be defined as "basic necessities". Those that complain, should have done their homework. Enough said.

My wife and I came to Deetjen's, riding a wave of austere views all the way down Hwy. 1. Our first anniversary, and we picked the PERFECT place to enjoy it. Nothing could have been better, from the EXCELLENT staff, wonderful food, and Mario, the cat.
We stayed in the Chateau Fiasco, and it had an amazing balcony that overlooked the main area, yet had enough foilage to provide privacy. I liked the way that they worked AROUND the existing plantlife; their is a tree branch blocking the entrance, and instead of cutting it, it is merely painted it(only to avert lawsuits, I'm sure).

We have decided to return to Deetjen's for our 10th, and wait on baited breath.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

We stayed here on our way back from New Zealand. My cousin, an American, booked it for us. A charming place with individual log cabins. We stayed in Edies room. Very comfortable, very quirky and individual. Do look at the written statements from previous guests in Edies room - 5 volumes of compelling reading! Look for the one where a woman talked him out of commiting suicide many years ago and when he happened to stay in Edies room the woman he had seen many years ago was Edie!
A must to visit and stay.

• Liked — Quirky log cabins
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

Deetjen's is a rustic getaway with cabins nestled in between giant redwoods. The cabins make you feel like you stepped back into time. The windows don't fit the frames exactly, the furniture is old and small and the bathroom is dark and tiny. But you feel like you have been swept away from your everyday worries and are living in a different world. It was wonderful, and relaxing and beautiful. We read the old journals left in our room and that too helped form this connection with the place that cannot be matched. We were in the Chalet (aka, the tree house) and the view from our window was a deep, dark drop into the forest. There was a charming "kids" room in the back where my husband and I spent most of our time (it was warmer back there, and cozier). We hiked up a path to see the sun set and would recommend the same to anyone else. Dinner on the premises is expensive, but good.

• Liked — The feeling I had just being there
  • Disliked — It was chilly in the main bedroom
Fort Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

I stayed at Deetjens 30 years ago -- my fond farewell as I moved from California. And it kept tugging at my heart to come back. 30 years ago it was kind of a hippy hang-out -- now it's on the register of National Historic Landmarks! I warned my hubby it was REAL rustic but he fell in love with it too. We stayed in Stokes cabin, a pleasant walk across the bridge & through the little compound. I loved the restaurant -- fireplace, baroque music, great food, rickety kind of archecture. But the best part of the day is always back at the room at the end of the day -- lighting the fire, having nightcaps, reading guest journals from fellow travelers & then
jumping into the great beds to watch the embers die. Then waking up to the redwoods & Big Sur. There was a little gold framed picture on the wall of our cabin --Michaelangelo's Hand of God & it sure was fitting at Big Sur & Stokes cabin at Deetjens.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I was expecting a quaint room but it felt like sleeping in someone's garden shed. In fact, I have seen nicer garden sheds.
The bathroom was so bad I am surprised that the state of California would approve it for occupancy. I was annoyed by the wwindow in the shower (no way to cover it) and the fact that the shower head was about 4 feet high and could not be adjusted.
We heard noise from Hwy 1 all night, also talking, coughing, etc. in other rooms.
It is described as Norwegian style. I have been to Norway and this is an insult to that country.
The staff at Deetjen's are all nice people and I don't blame them for this. However, this place should be torn down and re-built or at least extensively remodeled

• Liked — we ate dinner there and the food was good
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

Deetjen's is a little redwood inn tucked into a small canyon by the side of the road. The place is adorable, but so close to the road that you can hear the traffic. The one cool thing about it is that it makes the hwy look like a Disneyland ride - the way it crosses the canyon on a little trestle bridge. Our room, "Faraway," was ironically the closest to the road. It was very private though compared to some of the other rooms, where people walk by and are above and next to you. We shared only one wall with another unit in the same cabin. We had no neighbor problems - and a private bath, so that settled that.

On the next trip we will probably spring for the Creek House, near the back of the property, just to be away from the road with more space, and to be closer to the gorgeous little creek that runs nearby. It boasts a full brick fireplace and small antique kitchen and sleeps at least four, assuming you rent the whole thing (upstairs and down are also available separately.) The whole house goes for about $385 - our single room was $200, and had a woodstove and bath.

Deetjen's is booking six months in advance, due to recent press, including an article in the New York Times last January (which may be responsible for some of these disillusioned reviews?) Perhaps coincidentally, we noticed lots of New Yorkers in the guestbooks in the rooms - which are known for their "revealing" portraits of the room's previous occupants. Ahem.

We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room. The food is solid and hearty and the dining room is cozy with atmosphere galore. It's not the Four Seasons, but nor is it Denny's, it's unique and has it's own local character. If you can appreciate that you'll love it.

The pancakes at breakfast, served with real maple syrup, and the pork chops at dinner were especially good. The heirloom tomato salad was wonderful, with some perfect fresh mozzarella - and the crabcake appetizer was very good as well (though a bit small).

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the place after reading some of these reviews - it's in a gorgeous setting and has it's own lovely atmosphere. I don't get all the fretting about the locks on the doors, it's not that difficult to keep your valuables, such as they are, in your purse or car. Nobody's going to steal your underwear.

• Liked — the charm and history
  • Disliked — small rooms, lack of cell phone and wi fi service, no phone in room.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

I had hopes for this place because I am a fan of quaint and rustic inns. Little did I know what was about to transpire. The best thing I can say is that the bed was comfortable, but cross your fingers that you don't have someone snoring in the room next to you b/c the walls are paper thin and you can hear just about everything. Also, don't bring anything too valuable in your room b/c there are no locks!! You can lock your room from the inside, but if you plan on dining at their overpriced restaurant take your valuables with you. Forget about air circulation in the bathroom. We had the unfortunate luck of sharing the bathroom who had some issues and our room and the bathroom were saturated with the horrible smell.

So, about the restaurant..........don't expect friendly service. I guess their attitude towards the visitors is that they may never see us again, so what do they care? We walked downstairs for our dinner reservations 10 min early and we were given the worst table in the restaurant, about 1 foot from the bar where the locals were talking loudly and cursing over the course of our "romantic" dinner. The waitress acted as though she would rather be anywhere else than there doing her job. Don't waste your money there, go to Ventana Inn and eat at their restaurant and enjoy the spectacular views. That is what we ended up doing for the remainder of our meals.

Big Sur was beautiful, but if you want to go camping grab a tent, the smell around will probably be much more enjoyable.

• Liked — The bed was pretty comfortable
  • Disliked — Apathetic Staff, Rude Staff
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!